1/200 Ansett 747 - 2000 Sydney Olympics livery

marevic1

Taking a little break from my current Hornet builds (in various stages of completion), I decided to try a quick build of something different for me. (Apologies for the camera phone pics in advance)

spacer.pngspacer.png

I recently picked up a 1/200 Airliner kit.

spacer.png

And when I popped open the box, found a bonus set of decals that peeked my interest.

spacer.png

The kit went together fairly easily. Doing a quick search on the web showed most airline builders fill the windows and use decals instead so that's the way I went.

Allowing for putty drying time and sanding, paint was done and dusted within a day and a half.

spacer.png

Time for the the difficult part....the DECALS.

These are all separate sections and takes a lot of care and patience.

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

That's one side done and dusted. 

Pretty happy with 2 days work. Hopefully I'll get the other side next weekend. 

Cheers

Jurgen

• Like 10

Thanks guys 😀

On 9/29/2019 at 11:48 PM, Gimme Shelter said:

Great to see this build - I have the decal set too and realised the paint job was going to be a challenge so it's good to know how you took on the challenge- really looking forward to seeing the end result 

Gave the entire kit an initial coat of white, covered the front section in Cling Wrap ( which protected the white section and made handling easier) and then painted on the blue. I then added some more white ensuring I feathered it towards the blue.

4 hours ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

Nice work so far Jurgen :thumbsup:

Can I ask what shades of blue you used ? I have this scheme to build in 1/144 one day.

Blue shade is Tamiya Blue (X-4)

Edited by marevic1
  • Like 2

Thanks guys!

After the decal placement on the tail, I noticed the blue shade demarcation was showing so I masked the section and reapplied the lighter blue.

spacer.png

Next up I masked the paintwork in prep for the metalic colours.

Engines were glued into place and wings dry fitted to see how it all sits.

Just need to glue the wings in place, add the nav lights and fit the cockpit windsheld into place. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Thanks for looking 😀

• Like 6

awesome - looks stunning and great to see a dash 300 as opposed ot the norm of the 1,2 and 4 series. Watch that cockpit piece - they can ping for miles as I have found out and they can be brittle and prone to snap. I've not had one slip into place without a slight bit of guidance from the flat side of a scalpel blade myself if it helps you here.

Looking forward to watching it move over to the RFI pages soon,...