Jump to content

As a result of the close-down of the UK by the British Government last night, we have made all the Buy/Sell areas read-only until we open back up again, so please have a look at the announcement linked here.

This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Duncan B

Glasgow Scale Model Show, 19th October

Recommended Posts

8 minutes ago, Duncan B said:

I really think kit swaps are a great way for Clubs to raise some extra cash. As a Trader I have absolutely no problem with kit swaps at shows and would be happy to see under table sales banned in favour of them. That would cut out the growing trend of people with Trade accounts buying this week's specials and then taking them to sell at shows from under the tables as this practice does nothing to help fund the shows or raise revenue for the Clubs and probably isn't covered by the event's PL Insurance either.

 

Duncan B

Think its a double edged sword duncan, Glasgow has always kinda resisted them as the shows are nothing with out the traders, and Bruce ans Geoff always try to keep the mix right so any trader travelling hopefully will have a good profitable day(and come back) .

That said unfortunately we have had a few members die and leave large stashes!

The kits that normally end up in swaps aren't what most traders have as stock.

So hopefully we dont step on each others toes.

Edited by fallmonk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, fallmonk said:

Think its a double edged sword duncan, Glasgow has always kinda resisted them as the shows are nothing with out the traders, and Bruce ans Geoff always try to keep the mix right so any trader travelling hopefully will have a good profitable day(and come back) .

That said unfortunately we have had a few members die and leave large stashes!

The kits that normally end up in swaps aren't what most traders have as stock.

So hopefully we dont step on each others toes.

Most of the Scottish Shows actually have kit swaps which is great for everyone I think. 2nd hand kits under the tables isn't a problem but people 'trading' from club tables is on the rise.

Anyhow that's way off topic. I'm all packed up now, managed to get the van filled before the rain started. I'm looking forward to the Show as I usually get some sort of typical Glasgow banter from the locals. Sadly Steve won't be with me but I will have Mrs B aka Vice President of Packaging with me so I'll have to sneak my purchases past her somehow.

 

Duncan B

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope everyone has a great day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Back down to Ayrshire from the Modelfest and the show was great. I thought it was a bit busier than usual. The Kitkrazy guy and AMS seemed to have a throng round them the whole day. Great that so many traders make the effort to come all the way up to Glasgow for the show. My only gripe, and it was the same with Scale Scotland, is, can't the guy doing the prizewinners announcement at the end not source a microphone and amplifier instead of just shouting?

 

It was fascinating to see the models in the competition and on the club tables - always inspires me to get back to my modelling table and build and paint and try subjects that I might not otherwise build.

 

Today's haul was an Italeri P-40E, some AK Interactive weathering bits and a tool from the Modelling Tools guy. All I need to find now is the time to build everything.

 

Well done to the show organisers and hope everyone else had a great day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A BIG thank you to all who attended,  either as a club or as a paying punter. 

On the whole it went of without any major dramas , competition went well and no one complained (publicly)so thats always a bonus.

Judges had a near impossible time as the standard (as always) was so high, hopefully we called it right. 

One thing we did get positive feedback was about splitting the junior category. 

Hope everyone had a great time look forward to seeing you back next year. 

Edited by fallmonk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

VP Packaging and I had a lot of fun at the Show yesterday, it's always great to catch up with everybody and to have the time to chat. The venue is very nearly perfect for a show as there is plenty of room between the Traders and the Club stands so it never feels crushed. I feel very tired today as you might expect having spent all day in a Gym (once a year is enough at my age :elephant:).

My only gripe is a small one and totally outside of the control of the Show organisers but I do wish the Parking had decent ramps up the kerbs as I managed to tip a couple of trolley loads trying to mount them.

All in all it was a great way to round off our Show season and I'd like to thank all the visitors who stopped to chat and especially to the Organisers who couldn't have done any more to make the Show any smoother. (the banter is always special too as only the Weeggies can).

 

Duncan B

 

p.s I was so tempted to join you guys in the 3J's, if I hadn't been driving I would have been there :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Duncan B said:

VP Packaging and I had a lot of fun at the Show yesterday, it's always great to catch up with everybody and to have the time to chat. The venue is very nearly perfect for a show as there is plenty of room between the Traders and the Club stands so it never feels crushed. I feel very tired today as you might expect having spent all day in a Gym (once a year is enough at my age :elephant:).

My only gripe is a small one and totally outside of the control of the Show organisers but I do wish the Parking had decent ramps up the kerbs as I managed to tip a couple of trolley loads trying to mount them.

All in all it was a great way to round off our Show season and I'd like to thank all the visitors who stopped to chat and especially to the Organisers who couldn't have done any more to make the Show any smoother. (the banter is always special too as only the Weeggies can).

 

Duncan B

 

p.s I was so tempted to join you guys in the 3J's, if I hadn't been driving I would have been there :)

Duncan - you need something like this - perfect for kerbs or even stairs...

 

1300_220461b_0616.jpg

 

They come in a variety of shapes and sizes - Steve

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I would just like to add to all the other comments and say what a great show yesterday was I am sure all the lads and lasses at Washington Model Club enjoyed it and to get the best display was a real honour for us  :yes: even if the Trophy was still at last years winners home  :doh:

 

Thanks to Bruce and all the team it looked as though you were all a lot more relaxed with no little mishaps this year  :whistle: yes all the table were there early.  :thumbsup:

 

And a really BIG Thank you to @Duncan B of BlackMike Models for being so honest and telling me he had over charged me at Scale Scotland and I had not even realised but he got in touch through BM and helped me with some more Colourcoats paints.

A true honest gentleman IMHO should have got the best trader Trophy had there been one  :goodjob:

 

beefy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, beefy66 said:

Well I would just like to add to all the other comments and say what a great show yesterday was I am sure all the lads and lasses at Washington Model Club enjoyed it and to get the best display was a real honour for us  :yes: even if the Trophy was still at last years winners home  :doh:

 

Thanks to Bruce and all the team it looked as though you were all a lot more relaxed with no little mishaps this year  :whistle: yes all the table were there early.  :thumbsup:

 

And a really BIG Thank you to @Duncan B of BlackMike Models for being so honest and telling me he had over charged me at Scale Scotland and I had not even realised but he got in touch through BM and helped me with some more Colourcoats paints.

A true honest gentleman IMHO should have got the best trader Trophy had there been one  :goodjob:

 

beefy

Thanks for the compliments,  tables was delivered Friday afternoon and some of the guys actually went in on Friday night to start set up, and break the back of it.

As a result wee had it all done for 8:30am (a minor miracle for us) 

Lets traders and clubs just have that little more time to get organized on there own tables, and dare in say it look for early morning bargins of traders lol.

Was a good show, foot traffic was up ,and what was also good to see was a lot more children and female punters. 

It was a long day but worth it, home for a few drinks and a early night ,rock n roll eh lol

Edited by fallmonk
Speeeeling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It was a good show again this year in my opinion so thank you for all the hard work you and the team put in to make it happen @fallmonk My daughter also had a great time and made some new friends during the day - it's saying something when a 9 year old girl will much rather come to a model show with her dad than going shopping with her mum :lol: 

From my own perspective there was a good balance of traders and clubs, both providing interest, with plenty bargains available from the former and great displays from the latter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just like to echo what Keith (Beefy66) has said from a Washington Model Club point of view. We always enjoy this show and the welcome we get from Bruce and the team. To win the best display is always and added bonus and I'd like to confirm the trophy arrived safe and sound, thank you very much. See you again next October when we return it 👍.

 

Brian

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...