RAF Sabre

Ian

Kit - Hasegawa 1:48

Paint - Cockpit, seat etc all acrylics - Camouflage all Xtracolour enamels.

Decals - Eagle Strike

Extras - True Details resin seat, Eduard kit-specific 'Zoom' set. Fuse wire, fibre-optic cable and plastic card details in cockpit, air-brake and undercarriage wells.

Canadair Sabre Mk. 4

Assigned to Sqn. Ldr. T. H. Hutchinson

C/O 3 Squadron RAFG

Geilenkirchen, 1955/56

UFrhR7N.jpg

We2kfbo.jpg

VCzELo0.jpg

wrNckwr.jpg

6Kcd5EO.jpg

q7eChu1.jpg

MjFBAwh.jpg

bYoZkoe.jpg

siX4vyk.jpg

So, a thirty year old kit, painted with thirty year old enamels and wearing twenty-five year old decals.... bit of an 'old skool' project wouldn't you say ?

There honestly isn't too much to say, the kit really does fall together and is (happily) typical of those superb Hasegawa releases from the early 1990's, crisp detail, faultless molding with fuss-free engineering and construction - I really wish they would tool-up again and release some new kits, I know that's not going to happen, but there's nothing wrong with hope is there ?. The Eagle Strike decals behaved as if they were printed yesterday - utterly flawless and superbly printed by Cartograph, again, a company I really do miss.

That's just about it. Please feel free to criticise, ask a question or make any sort of comment. Have the rest of a great weekend folks, best from Middle Earth.

Ian.

• Like 41

hi all ,

I restored a FROG Sabre a few years ago now, that I bought in the 50's, left the castings as they were,

was able to source the  FROG deeecals from eBay ...... still remember when I bought it in a rush to Flinders St.

Station with my Mother and Brother from TIM the TOYMAN in that toffy laneway in Melbourne .

mumbatatshuns !

Geoff

F.T.G. 3156

source

To be honest, this nearly was a West German aircraft using the RoG decals, but I couldn't resist Sqn. Ldr. Hutchinsons' 'special' and I've had the decals since they first came put, so.... (and I've got a second kit stashed away). Thanks folks, appreciate the feedback and comments. As ever, never taken for granted.

Ian.

That looks brilliant! Very nice markings on that, they do look good these RAF Sabres. Great painting too, looks spot on that.

I'm tempted to do my Esci 1/48 Sabre next, though I'll need some RAF decals.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lord Riot said:

I'm tempted to do my Esci 1/48 Sabre next, though I'll need some RAF decals.

Thanks your Lordship... you still can find the Eagle Strike sheets (they did four from memory) on eBay - mostly in the US, but postage and prices are usually reasonable. Give my best to Cheshire (my cousins are in Lymm & Wilmslow !).

Ian.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Ian said:

Thanks your Lordship... you still can find the Eagle Strike sheets (they did four from memory) on eBay - mostly in the US, but postage and prices are usually reasonable. Give my best to Cheshire (my cousins are in Lymm & Wilmslow !).

Ian.

Thanks, will have a look for those decals!

We live quite close to Wilmslow actually. Nothing much has changed I'm sure!

Edited by Lord Riot
  • Like 1