JetFest '19 North Weald

Alpha Delta 210

Hi

I spent an ever-so-slightly disappointing couple of hours at North Weald this morning. Adverse weather in other parts of the country meant that the home team provided most of the aircraft on display. I bought a ticket online for £15, which was bearable, but in my opinion £20 on the day was too expensive.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy the following images.

uSH8vQkr2VqHMC1n1wCDVais2qN-zS1QpuK9-w3g

1S2k9HbSXjUmU4ghysGq-TbBPGOXJnDtfHxwTRx0

cUvU6Ef5HPnTRL6UmkRyKg9sGaoaThENdVtNNDiK

K1EMQJUw0dFA5x6Jwwd3c4DzAA_1U-H1hVAlACOG

0hCVmjnkQJUmYICYQScLMqta6kLN3igpezNscYmH

0Qq5I3ziPqoY6kJlQ8jF9GIvrFtiFozR0qOU_dmg

7xF8CeBdJhU8NVqztBK8LBfoUG-7GTE4mowBUPAR

BxgrWqHKJpyMIBedtEVaWPUoHGCyd5z8EkWCh5jL

MY2WowZlP6XBtrka6Iqoy20UevTIF_vemZb1ZAEa

jWpPSXC9V7S3uwjUPfw8_qeAOk48In_6Z0TSH3BH

TNQWpQGonuBhpN7iBK7INO--KfZBxqdj6ahWFvIe

y932fZvp8Ne6REXW_AetQAxm4Kge7lE6O5QKI8pw

ZVZxly1S83LLzrQwXxhIxseF3lxWVxn-34dV4YSM

72J4g3KnjRWP99cI-euxBQlMJ1KBxZo5gOk5bQU8

ZEXTB0k4gYWI1W4qdE1dzHJw-F-e0EQ_bCqjHITe

5BEqMHwlU8x0-WJV0Ys9mVESjb8KihB5qaUiBhSe

ErXwF2ooQomNC1joW09DXyvveAF04L2t5j3An9_H

UdUGTyCaO8EQ73OfKSS_w6TXIx0vPHYf_jmHA2_p

A8AP-D2UnQ-VOQhg6M9FnqJIHgJ4aPIIJ7vZIa1t

gMxfX3NKYXD2lJQxA-cfzhGrPmi9nN5c7TRHFlox

EhmKvYL7mQ7f3ghkxrdc_-N4JlQBR6ZMVAbnYJFi

gjcMmWyPslgU3434NG3AQr8Nxlo-_JLAEforlQM9

GRqxgK0fHSYr5Hd_vgL94DG6PGZoEkI_BQPQS_sr

Thanks for looking.

• Like 23

10 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Nice pictures, I wouldn't mind a look around a Puma again after all these years.

Thanks for posting,

Thanks Pete. I missed the tiger-striped Puma at RIAT because it was concealed deep in the "RAF Village" with the plastic Chinook.

6 minutes ago, Parabat said:

Some nice shots despite the troubles, never seen so many Gnats outside of Scotland! 

Head on of the Huey is my favourite.

Thanks Parabat. I guess these Gnats don't bite!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Paul J said:

Nice photos. But I didn't know this event was on otherwise I could have gone.

Thanks Paul. I would hesitate to recommend this event, unless the organisers make some changes for 2020.

In my opinion, the attitude of the organisers towards adverse feedback on FaceBook was quite unprofessional. 

A plague of Gnats! Loved the one in Yellowjacks colors! Seems like they ran out of metal polish on the C-54. Thank you for sharing these photos with us. The photos of the  C-47/Dakota was the class of the field, IMHO.

Mike

• Like 1

10 hours ago, F-32 said:

That single seat Gnat is beautiful!

Thanks very much F-32. 

2 hours ago, 72modeler said:

A plague of Gnats! Loved the one in Yellowjacks colors! Seems like they ran out of metal polish on the C-54. Thank you for sharing these photos with us. The photos of the  C-47/Dakota was the class of the field, IMHO.

Mike

Thanks for the kind words, Mike. 

There was a lady polishing the the C-54 (just visible on the platform), somehow I doubt that she had finished the job by the time the event closed on Sunday afternoon!🤣

2 hours ago, stevehnz said:

A nice line up & beaut photos, that collection of Gnats is impressive.I'm guessing the single seater is an Ajeet? :unsure:

Steve.

Hi Steve. Thanks for the kind words. 

I understand that the single-seater is indeed a former Indian Air Force example (serial IE296). It is operated by the Gnat Display Team as G-SLYR, and seems to be registered as a Hindustan "Gnat", not "Ajeet"!

Great photos. The Ajeet/Gnat is lovely.

As I understand the situation, the early Folland built single seaters were Gnats, whilst the Hindustan ones are Ajeets (“Unconquerable”). A vague memory tells me that this example is indeed a Gnat.

Trevor

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Max Headroom said:

Great photos. The Ajeet/Gnat is lovely.

As I understand the situation, the early Folland built single seaters were Gnats, whilst the Hindustan ones are Ajeets (“Unconquerable”). A vague memory tells me that this example is indeed a Gnat.

Trevor

Thanks very much Trevor.

I might do some more digging on this particular Ajeet/Gnat and see what I can find out!

• Like 1

Thanks @Max Headroom & @Eric Mc a bit of education for me, I'd long though that Ajeet was the Indian name for the Gnat fighter, a bit of googling & I find that the Indian Air Force had a mixture of a few UK built Gnats, some more Hal built ones & some Ajeets which were a developed version of the Gnat so this one being an ex Indian Gnat now makes perfect sense to me. :)

Steve.

• Like 1

The Indians developed a MK.2. version which from memory had a ‘wet’ wing and (I’m really scraping the back of my memory now) was visually identifiable by having a conical rather than rounded nose as is shown on the North Weald example.

I found this which may be interesting reading

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/commercial-vehicles/157327-indian-aviation-hal-ajeet-folland-gnat-mk-ii-edit-1965-war-iaf-documentary-page-6-a.html

Though that suggests only the MK.2’s were Ajeets...........:hmmm:

Trevor

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for posting the link to that fascinating article, Trevor.

I have been trawling the web and haven't been able to establish much information regarding the North Weald single-seat Gnat, G-SLYR. All references seem to describe it as a "Hindustan Gnat F.1".

If anyone has any further information, I would love to hear!