Farewell,have a kraken voyage

Hewy

I'm  going to return for another paddle in the maritime section my last foray was a resin kit of donald Campbell's bluebird in 1/48, this time I'm moving down to 1/400 to do a little steamer in a spot of bother with a grumpy kraken ,i shall be having a go at clear resin, for the underwater part of the  scene  and maybe an led  light or two for either back or front  lighting ,and hopfully the creatures eyeballs,I'm  going to try to keep the build compact,so I'll try for 160mm square or so , and enough room for a  9v battery in a stand

The kraken is going to be made out of procreate, a modelling putty ,

Fingers are tightly crossed i can pull this off, it'll be a learning curve if nothing else,I've  got the bench cleared as of this afternoon so I'll  start

The steamer ,now I'm not keen on green so I'm going to do the ship in royal blue,white and red

I'll have a look at  some railings when i get it together ,and a bit of sail and rigging detail,

good lord I'm already thinking I've bitten off more than a kraken can chew

Don't look like the initial build will pose too many problems 😋

W18owCo.jpg

I know it don't look like a kraken yet(probably never will) but I'm going create the big fella from this, wish me luck I'll need it

fvR3zdz.jpg

Thanks for looking in

• Like 7

18 minutes ago, longshanks said:

a family show

I should maybe ,for copyright purposes change a couple of things like 4 tenticles instead of 8, and put a few more, or less maybe teeth in its chops, 

• Haha 1

Just now, Martian Hale said:

Why am I not surprised to find myself dragged into this from the off and still less surprised to find @longshanks egging the OP on at a very early stage?

Put Upon of Mars 👽

I hereby claim 

Only licensed images will be used ,

Any likeness published here to actual  living creatures will be purely unintentional, 

The op reserves the right to fully imagine(and create the likeness off) any creature to fit the bill, 

(Fees may me payable in extreme circumstances)

😋

Innocent of warwickshire

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

27 minutes ago, Hewy said:

Any likeness published here to actual  living creatures will be purely unintentional, 

Yeah, right! (I really must remember where I put the larger of my two blurglecruncheons)

Cynical of Mars 👽

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, Hewy said:
2 hours ago, longshanks said:

I should maybe ,for copyright purposes change a couple of things like 4 tenticles instead of 8, and put a few more, or less maybe teeth in its chops

:hmmm:Has anyone lived to report on the number of appendages/nashers the beasty has/had ???

Cautious of Cornwall :poke:

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, longshanks said:

:hmmm:Has anyone lived to report on the number of appendages/nashers the beasty has/had ???

Cautious of Cornwall :poke:

The smart money is eight tentacles and a razor sharp beak. I wouldn't recommend prodding one though Kev.

Sensible of Mars 👽

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, Hewy said:

I should maybe ,for copyright purposes change a couple of things like 4 tenticles instead of 8,

Gidday, I thought the Martian had sixteen tentacles. I seem to remember it in a post in another thread somewhere a little while back.

Many years ago (about forty) I did a quick drawing at work of a ship in a notebook. When I came back from morning tea a friend of mine had made some "additions" to my drawing. I'm sure you can guess what they are! For some reason I've kept this drawing all this time. I've never taken a copyright the drawing, so Hewy feel free to gain inspiration from this if it helps. 😁

DSCN5933

On a more serious note (if that's possible), I look forward to seeing the model built. Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

10 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

The smart money is eight tentacles

4 hours ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

, I thought the Martian had sixteen tentacles

I rest my case :nod:

1 hour ago, Hewy said:

with the fat tenticled beast

FAT, FAT !!!    Now that's a bit harsh. I think Hewy you my be in for an Extraterrestrial visit (make sure you take pics)

Kev  

• Haha 4

11 hours ago, longshanks said:

FAT, FAT !!!    Now that's a bit harsh. I think Hewy you my be in for an Extraterrestrial visit (make sure you take pics)

The Alien was reported in the Martian Chronicle as being "disappointed" with the post and was quoted as currently being in discussions with his armourers. 

:shoot: :hanging: :fight: :chair:

Martian the Malevolent 👽

• Haha 4

Ok ,I've  got the creatures snack just about built up, and I've  started to paint some of the parts, I'm going to invent a patriotic colour scheme for the victim, but if any one can suggest any idea for the creatures colouring other than green 😋 i can begin concocting the  "ahem" , vicious beast,

I've also  drilled out some port holes ,i doubt very much they're to scale,but I'm  hoping whirling tenticles will catch the eye more than out of scale details

A4Vi4qN.jpg

A dash of white on the paddle shrouds,and a white stripe on the hull topped with royal blue to come,the kracken is probably attracted to colours, I've improvised the rear mast so i can have the sails down, also the very front sails will be deployed, I've got a feeling the main mast at the top will be kraken fodder, I'm going to have to sort out some type of railings then  when its together

uWaDzSO.jpg

Edited by Hewy
  • Like 6

10 minutes ago, TallBlondJohn said:

Suggestion - how about making a wire armature for the beastie? You can bend and position it before adding the clay once its right

John ,suggestion duly taken on board, a skeleton of sorts  (i like it) never done any thing remotely like it, so thanks for your help,to be honest I've not used the sculpting putty before so i didn't know how standy uppy it'd  be for his tenticles , but your idea  will use less  putty so its gotta be a winner, nice one,  consider it utilused 

17 minutes ago, Martian Hale said:

would be inclined to study pictures of squid/octopus/cuttlefish

Said  marine research is already under way, not exactly a ticket to sail on the new boaty mc'boatface but the tinternet will suffice, 

I quite like  the look of those crabs with the eyes on stalks🤗

Edited by Hewy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Hewy said:

John ,suggestion duly taken on board, a skeleton of sorts  (i like it) never done any thing remotely like it, so thanks for your help,to be honest I've not used the sculpting putty before so i didn't know how standy uppy it'd  be for his tenticles , but your idea  will use less  putty so its gotta be a winner, nice one,  consider it utilused 

I admit I haven't tried it but there's some superb sculpting work here on BM and they usually use armatures. Check this out for a masterclass, its long but shows the wire -> clay technique.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

couple of pictures that should be inspirational. 

Steve

Thanks steve they certainly are, but no teeth ,the beast should have at least 2  blunt pickle stabbers 😋

Edited by Hewy
  • Haha 1