AGM-114 Hellfire (BRL32037) 1:32

Mike

AGM-114 Hellfire (BRL32037)

1:32 Brengun

boxtop.jpg

The AGM-114 Hellfire missile is an air-launched missile for destroying ground-based targets with a high level of precision.  They are carried most famously by the AH-64 Apache as well as drones and other slow-moving aircraft, and are used extensively for destroying enemy bunkers and compounds in the Middle East, despite its original mission as a tank buster.  They are fire-and-forget and because of their relatively low explosive yield when compared to a standard JDAM they have a lower collateral damage likelihood.  They are frequently carried in "packs" of four on one pylon because of their light weight, giving any aircraft a substantial capacity to inflict damage.

The Kit

The set arrives in a cardboard box that is sealed by the label, and inside is a ziplok bag of resin parts, a sheet of stencil decals, a small fret of Photo-Etch (PE) and an instruction sheet with five steps plus painting guide.  There are ten casting blocks, the majority of which are in grey resin, but two are in clear resin and hold the clear seeker heads for each of the eight missiles included in the set.  Each missile has the choice of a protective yellow FOD guard or the clear seeker head, PE fins front and aft, a toroidal exhaust port and a separate resin attachment lug.  The launch rails are made up from a pre-moulded pair that have the pylon attachment points moulded into the centre, two stanchions that project downward and two more rails for the lower level.  To these are added command umbilicals, PE locking arms and rear skin, plus resin attachment lugs. 

brl32037.jpg

When the launch rails are completed, you can attach up to four missiles to each one, allowing you to house the full complement on the two rails supplied.  Some of the decals are called out during construction, but the balance are shown in the final section of the instructions, and the overall colour is mentioned briefly at the beginning as black.

completedmodel.jpg

Conclusion

This set is excellent value for money, highly detailed, and you get everything you need barring paint and glue.  Either missiles and two rail packs for your large scale project for a very reasonable price.

Very highly recommended.

bin.jpg

Review sample courtesy of

logo.gif

• Like 2

Ooh, that should go nicely with the new Academy AH-1Z despite the slight scale difference.

Other than that, the old Revell Apache seems to be the only kit that really matches the four-pack. I wonder why they went with 1/32 instead of the more common 1/35 for the various Blackhawk, Kiowa and Cobra kits from MRC/Academy? 🤔

Edited by Alan P

3 hours ago, Alan P said:

I wonder why they went with 1/32 instead of the more common 1/35 for the various Blackhawk, Kiowa and Cobra kits from MRC/Academy?

I did wonder that myself while I was tapping away on the keyboard.  They appear to have been 3D mastered, so it shouldn't be much of a chore (he says knowing very little about the process) to slightly re-scale them, I'm hoping - not for me, as 1:35 choppers ain't my bag baby. :)

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 29/09/2019 at 10:54, Alan P said:

Ooh, that should go nicely with the new Academy AH-1Z despite the slight scale difference.

Other than that, the old Revell Apache seems to be the only kit that really matches the four-pack. I wonder why they went with 1/32 instead of the more common 1/35 for the various Blackhawk, Kiowa and Cobra kits from MRC/Academy? 🤔

Two years later, and guess what they're releasing? http://www.hauler.cz/downloads/3-2021newsletter.pdf

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Mike said:

He's watching you :ninja:

So if I suggested they should release a complete set of internal defensive machine guns for 1/35 Blackhawk family, it might just happen?

1 minute ago, Alan P said:

So if I suggested they should release a complete set of internal defensive machine guns for 1/35 Blackhawk family, it might just happen?

I'll meet you back here in two years :yes:

• Haha 1