1/72 Testors/Hawk Spitfire F22 PK312

I am slowly working through my shelf of doom, finishing some kits that should have been binned. This was originaly built in the 70’s by my brother. I got it when he was going to throw it out. It had a fuselage, wings, and a propless spinner, only slightly less than the kit originaly had..... Over the years, I opened up the undercarriage bays, gave it an Aeroclub prop, vacuform canopy of unknown provenance, undercarriage, tailplanes and enlarged radiators from the Spitfire spares box. Highly inaccurate cannon barrels are turned brass by me. Now, if you wanted to do PK312 as it was originaly built, it would be far easier to start with a later F22 kit and swap an earlier tail on it. I have finished it and posted it because, well, not a kit many people are dumb enough to build, and I never give up on anything.....

886DCC66-5D7F-4C76-B8A5-F17535CF14E1

B725F2E6-7347-48FB-ACDC-50BD42E14588

• Like 14

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, VG 33 said:

Congratulations. Was it an old kit with roundels scribed on ?

Patrick

1967 kit. No scribed roundels, but enough rivets to embarass a Cromwell tank! Only finished it out of sheer bloodmindedness. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I remember Airfix Magazine in the 70s doing a feature on Spitfire marks and conversions, and this kit was the Holy Grail for modellers wanting to have any late model Spitfires in 1/72. Back then all we had were Airfix and Frog Spitfires, with some coverage of early marks stopping with the Frog XIV. Oh, and the Rareplanes Spiteful. I had never seen one of these, ever. I bought one on eBay about 10 years ago, partly out of curiosity. You're right - its crude!  

SD