Resin turnbuckles ?

rkp111

Doing some research for the WNW upcoming Albatros release while looking for the best price for Gas Patch turnbuckles I see they are offering resin sets.

Has anyone tried them?

I am thinking they couldn't be to scale .  

Any info on these will certainly be appreciated

I've only tried the metal ones (as that was all they had at the time).   Resin is a bit cheaper, plus you get 50 instead of 30 pieces per set.  Being resin, should hold paint better, but wonder how fragile they are when removing them from the stub and cleaning up - their diameter might be slightly thicker to compensate for that?

regards,

Jack

I have been tempted by these items but  think it is difficult to make 1/32 turnbuckles that don’t look over scale?  I personally never use them but add paint to the rigging thread at the end.  

Andrew 

12 hours ago, rkp111 said:

..................Gas Patch turnbuckles, I see they are offering resin sets.

I am thinking they couldn't be to scale .  

Hi @rkp111, not seen any of the resin ones, Like Jack @JackG I've only purchased the metal type.

There are a number of variables, cast or injected resin? what type of resin? 3D print? Having recently seen a complete quad pom-pom mounting in two parts,

manufactured by 3D printing.....in 1/350 scale! with the barrels in situ, don't think the scale question come into it!

I've tried both the resin & the metal turnbuckles made by Gaspatch and can tell you that i'm sticking with the metal ones.

The resin ones are tempting since you get more of them in a package, but from my experience so far, the resin ones do very easily break + too much tension on them when rigging isn't going to work either and resulted in some breaking too.

With the metal ones, i've had no problems at all so far and i do think they look great. They probably are a little bit too big compared to the real thing, but i don't mind that at all. I use 1/32 ones for the main rigging wires and 1/48 ones for the secondary rigging wires and i'm very pleased with how it looks.