HH-1N Twin Huey, NAS Bermuda (Panda 1/35)

During the height of the Cold War, squadrons of sub-hunting P-3 Orions operated from the US Naval Air Station located on the former site of Kindley Air Force Base in Bermuda. Their role was to intercept and shadow Soviet ballistic-missile carrying submarines in the Atlantic and moving toward the US's east coast. In addition to sub-hunting aircraft, NAS Bermuda operated a number of HH-1N Twin Hueys as utility aircraft, and in the vital Search & Rescue roles.

BuNo 158290 seems to have been among the last of these choppers, serving until the base's closure in 1995. Two online photos I found seem effectively to 'bracket' the former Marine helicopter's service with the Navy in Bermuda: one was taken during a base 'Open House' day in 1990; the other, taken in 1995, shows the bird on its way to retirement at the Davis Monthan AFB 'Boneyard.' The consistency between those two photos lends a wonderful confidence to the would-be model builder, showing a number of particular features that seemed unchanged throughout that term of service.

Panda's well-known 1/35 UH-1N in its non-gunship boxing made an impressive-sized basis for the bird. The kit's cockpit detail and rear-compartment seating were adequate, but I 'dressed up' both areas slightly with added cables and fixtures. The rear cabin received belts and headsets, a scratch-built rescue hoist and assorted SAR equipment bags. The exterior got some added antennas, beacon lights and reinforcement braces for the cable cutters on the roof and underside. Particular features shown in the 'bookend' photos include the older-style 'towel rack' tail-boom aerials instead of the zigzag 'long line' VHF aerial; no mounting of the underside cargo hook; and the absence of any 'safety' markings on the all-black main- and tail-rotor tips.

The kit's rather crumbly decals supplied mainly white markings, solely for dark-colored camouflage schemes. For the red and white SAR scheme, I made up the black lettering and an assortment of service stencils (along with the NAS Bermuda seals) in MS-Paint, and printed them on my faithful old HP inkjet. I did use the kit-supplied 'stars and bars' (to which I added thicker bars) and the jet intake and rescue arrows. All received a coat of Micro Decal Film before-hand, which limited...but did not entirely prevent...the cracking and flaking of the decals.

A roughly 50/50 mix of Future Clear and Vallejo Matt Varnish sealed those troublesome decals, and was a good match for the 'shine' shown in the photos of the prototype, without looking quite as 'toy-like' as Future alone often seems to appear.

For those interested, the WIP may be found here.

It's not a museum-piece by a long stretch, but I'm pleased with the result. It's an eye-catching scheme with an important pedigree, and just enough neat details to make it a little different from everybody else's. Hope you enjoy the photos.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 30

3 hours ago, Parabat said:

Fantastic job, initially thought the first pic was one of the reference pictures you mentioned! Superbly realistic.

Most kind, one and all!

For anyone interested, these are the photographs I mentioned:

(links only, as both photos are others' copyright)

1990 Open House

1995 on the way to the 'Boneyard'

Other than the slightly more-yellowed and worn paint on the boom in the second shot, the views are remarkably similar.

1 hour ago, noelh said:

I also imagine a posting to NAS Bermuda might be popular for all kinds of reasons. 

In point of fact--beyond the fact that the base's main sub-hunting role had been made redundant by political and technological changes--congressional hearings detemined that the base had become a 'de facto vacation retreat' for high-ranking military officers and DoD officials. One of the prime reasons the base was closed in 1995.

Not to take anything away from the many who really served there, performing a valuable mission...in what nonetheless must have been very pleasant surroundings!

1 hour ago, andyf117 said:

Very nice! What colour did you use for the 'red' (which is, of course, actually orange, but invariably photographs as red)?

Thanks! The paints are Tamiya acrylics. The red/orange is a 'by eye' mix of roughly (1) part X-6 Orange to (2) parts X-7 Red.

As you said, the photos always tend to run to the red end of the spectrum...so that's what I leaned toward in mixing the color. I mixed until it actually looked orange...then added just a bit more red!

• Like 1