Tamiya Spitfire MK1 vs Airfix Me109 1/48th "Hes Down for the count" Battle of Britain

Great looking dio, and a very clever way to hide the support for the Spit. Models look well done and I like the prop blur you’ve done.

One quick question, it’s hard to tell from the photos, do the patches over the guns have holes in them?

Thanks for sharing! Very well done.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, RadMax8 said:

Great looking dio, and a very clever way to hide the support for the Spit. Models look well done and I like the prop blur you’ve done.

One quick question, it’s hard to tell from the photos, do the patches over the guns have holes in them?

Thanks for sharing! Very well done.

They do yes. Thanks

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TonyW said:

Needs a bit more action. 

😉

Fantastic water effect. How did you do that?

Tony.

Hi tony

Then water is air dry clay shaped into random peaks and troughs. Then toilet paper and pva paper mache over that. Then I painted the different blues/greens/blacks of the water. Then I gloss coated it. Then added clear silicone for the wave crests and blended that into the rest of the wave......THEN more gloss and the I used pillow stuffing and spread it out thin in places around the waves to look like swirling choppy water and saturated it in pva and spread it thin. Then with other stuffing I used dry as the spray effect. Then to finish I dry brushed some white and light grey in places and glosses over the whole lot. 

Edited by Red Five
adding Ns
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mike c said:

Very well done indeed , any plans for another?

I think I've got an Omaha landing scene in the works and maybe a few other bits and bobs.  I've got a zero already built that I might change into a kamikaze too

1 hour ago, Lord Riot said:

Amazing diorama that! Great idea with the smoke plume to hide the stand too.

How come the 109 doesn't have a swastika on its tail? Didn't the decals include it?

Nah not in the kit and I couldnt be bottomed buying a separate set. Shame really but the modern kits tend to avoid them. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Navy Bird said:

Very nice work! Thanks for the explanation on how you made the water - I think it is very realistic, and is one of the focal points of the diorama.

Cheers,

Bill

No problem, although reading the explanation back you'd hardly think english was my first language. Ha. I wrote it on my phone while trying to calm a 5 week old baby