1/32 - Mitsubishi A6M5 Zero by Hobby Japan - box art+test model+parts - release in 2023

Homebee

The only thing they are hoping to beat Tamiya at must be the pricing . Otherwise the question begs - why ! 

1 hour ago, LUCIANO007 said:

...or maybe they make a much better model!

This thing where a market closes, once Tamiya releases something... I really do not get it.

Come on people...

It will take a revolution to better tamiya in 32nd scale . Merely repeating the existing formula won't do it because they cannot be bettered under existing rules except being beaten on price (revell mustang for example ) . We are talking about things like raised rivets (as is the case in real aircraft ) and such - Wingnut wings , though catering to a different genre , is an example of that trying molding techniques that are often an industry first. Even in my primary scale , 72nd , I am yet to see a company that delivers absolutely quality like tamiya does. The closest brand to it in this scale is Eduard .

Where tamiya can be beaten is subject selection - they don't offer many types and tend to limit themselves to the more famous airplanes in 32nd and 72nd . The 48th range is wider - this is also where some of their models have been bested - bf-109 g or Mustang for example , the Eduard kits are better detailed . But 32nd , they are untouchable . 

Edited by Basuroy

There is no such thing as untouchable. And a lot in our hobby is very objective. What you call us perfect in Tamiya, is just not good enough for someone else.

A very good example for that is their (Tamiya) F-14. The perfect model for some, has let down many others...

• Homebee changed the title to 1/32 - Mitsubishi A6M5 Zero by Hobby Japan - box art - release in ?
  • Homebee changed the title to 1/32 - Mitsubishi A6M5 Zero by Hobby Japan - box art - release in 2023
  • Homebee changed the title to 1/32 - Mitsubishi A6M5 Zero by Hobby Japan - box art+test model+parts - release in 2023
  • 4 months later...

Yes it is a pre built diecast metal model with some assembly required not in a model kit way. Deep panel lines and oversized rivets more often than not a side effect of trying to mould in metal.

Not cheap to buy either although it seems they're already sold out.

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/11005778

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/11005773

Funny enough about the comment on competing with Tamiya - I believe Tamiya do offer a pre built product line called Master Work or something like that? It's a mix of pre built model kit and diecast metal. 1/48 pre built model kit planes and 1/24 pre built model kit cars. Diecast metal being 1/24 and 1/12 cars. 

For what it’s worth, I have their newly tooled injection 1/35 JGSDF Type 74 tank and it’s beautifully done. I can’t speak to its build qualities yet, but if the Type 74 is anything to go by I’d say they’re quite capable of turning out a good kit. Here’s to hoping too see more from them…

• Like 1