Vickers Nimrod MR.1 - and now the masking etc

Small update for now.

I’ve now filed and buffed the glazing. If you remember, I painted the inside face of the windshield and this has now paid off. I didn’t do the same for the cabin windows and it shows. Ah well, never mind.

49288582706_3f16eacdc1_b.jpg

49288794902_92ab93e990_b.jpg

I’ll now select the cockpit windows for masking and will also construct the masking for the cockpit.

I’ve decided on wingtip lights, so once that’s sorted I may even be putting primer on this decade!

Thanks for looking.

Trevor

• Like 3

I thought I had until the end of January!

😳

Another concerted effort from me this afternoon. Now that the cockpit glazing is nice and shiny, it’s time to mask the windows. My first thought was to use thin strips of white transfer at the end of the process, but I reasoned that it may not turn out right. So instead, I’ve gone down the masking route.

49299967602_05c0e06440_b.jpg

As this is a WHIF, I decided not to follow the original slavishly and tried instead to give it a more sleek look (far too much framing on the original if you ask me!). A bit of trial and error got me this......

49299761646_269ae8d5fc_b.jpg

I had an idea of the fuselage portholes too

49299272473_f914403e61_b.jpg

Using a new, sharp blade, I tried to cut out some masks. Unfortunately they turned out a bit ragged, so that idea was ditched. Instead, I used PVA and a pinhead.

49299761551_2302d614c3_b.jpg

I carefully traced the outline of the windows and let it cure. Sounds fine, but the problem is that once dry, I can’t tell which windows have been covered! The PVA doesn’t stand proud and so once everything has been rattled canned, I won’t be able to find the windows. I’ll have a think about Plan C 🤔.

Next - the rear bomb bay. As mentioned before, this will remain closed, but I’ve scribed it and depending on how prominent it is once painted, I may give it a pin wash to delineate the outline.

49299272378_d015c99447_b.jpg

Next the ECM fairing on the fin. After some thought, I gave up on the Nimrod style and instead am plumping for the Jaguar/Harrier/Tornado type. My internal logic says that for its mid-life update, the old unit was removed and this sleeker, more spiffy looking arrangement was substituted instead. Lots of scrap plastic and of course filler! No photos for now, but I may do a before/after shot later.

And that’s as far as I’ve got to for now. Not convinced that I’ll be wafting the rattle can on it this decade, but certainly very early in the Roaring 20’s!

Thanks for looking.

Trevor

• Like 5