Harrier T4 XZ145 August 1991 Squadron identity query

bobsyouruncle

Hi Gents,

I've been trying to find out to which Squadron T-bird Harrier XZ145 was in the markings of in August 1991?

I've searched quite a bit online and have found shots of her in 233 OCU markings in 1987 and in 1 Sqn Markings in 1993 but think she was with 20 Sqn somewhere in between? I found a shot online in those markings but can't find it again for the date.

Also, has anyone got any close-up shots of the tail numbers of 1 Sqn in that era to confirm\deny that they look like Red numbers with Yellow outlines?

(or do you know if these markings are in the Airdoc British Harriers book, as I've already ordered that one). 

Thanks for any help.

Cheers Bob.

If you get in touch with the RAF museum at Hendon they might send you a copy of the record sheet for the aircraft. It will list when it changed units, went in for servicing, accidents etc

The one I have for a Phantom project I did was the AM 78 form.

• Like 2

Thanks very much for that Ian.

I've just mailed them so will see what they say.

Last shot I found of her in 233 OCU markings was dated 1987 and the first one I can find in 1 Sqn markings so far is Dec 1992.

I found the yellow outlined number style I was after was also in shots on the 1 Sqn Harrier GR5s, so that's that one sorted.

I was reading in 'Harrier Boys' that 1 Sqn had T4 XZ147 until September '91 when that aircraft suffered a low-level birdstrike and was destroyed (crew thankfully got out but not without serious injuries to Cadet pilot Kate in the rear seat).

I don't know how many T4s were on the Squadron, but the replacement for that could have been XZ145? I'll see what I can get from Hendon.

Thanks again. Bob.

The AirDoc book shows XZ145 code 14 - red outlined in yellow - on page 32, with a baggage pod on the centre-line, gun pods and 100-gallon tanks, empty outboard pylons and the short (Sea Harrier type) airbrake fitted. Sadly its undated. It has also has the rectangular panel ahead of the front u/c bay in primer.

I bet you cannot wait for the book to arrive now, can you!

Kinetic T4 being made? I can help with a baggage pod if you PM me.

Cheers

Nick 

• Thanks 1