2S35 Koalitsiya-SV self-propelled 152 MM Howitzer

Andy350

Hi Andy,

normally I avoid using full matt finish but a more semi-glossy as contemporary tank are usually painted so. Of course a long time serving one would have faded (mattish) paint due to strong sunlight but a less worn tank shall be finished in semi-gloss, I think.

At least that is my taste, my approach.

However,  when tried to find you some reference pics, anyone I see shows me more mattish paint on the Koalitsya howitzer. So the best advise is to search for reference photos (or see the subject by your eyes if possible) and use that when selecting color, shade, worn and finish effect.

cheers,

Tamas

https://www.armyrecognition.com/russia_russian_army_vehicles_system_artillery_uk/2s35_koalitsiya-sv_152mm_tracked_self-propelled_howitzer_technical_data_sheet_specifications_intelligence_pictures_video.html

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Agriamodeling said:

Hi Andy,

normally I avoid using full matt finish but a more semi-glossy as contemporary tank are usually painted so. Of course a long time serving one would have faded (mattish) paint due to strong sunlight but a less worn tank shall be finished in semi-gloss, I think.

At least that is my taste, my approach.

However,  when tried to find you some reference pics, anyone I see shows me more mattish paint on the Koalitsya howitzer. So the best advise is to search for reference photos (or see the subject by your eyes if possible) and use that when selecting color, shade, worn and finish effect.

cheers,

Tamas

https://www.armyrecognition.com/russia_russian_army_vehicles_system_artillery_uk/2s35_koalitsiya-sv_152mm_tracked_self-propelled_howitzer_technical_data_sheet_specifications_intelligence_pictures_video.html

The look I'm going for with decals was for the Russian celebration day, I think it was 2015.  It would be clean and looking it's best.  I do have some Tamiya Semi Gloss clear that I could use before applying decals??  I think there is little chance of me seeing this one.  I've been looking at a lot of images with this.  One thing I can do is mark up the tracks a little, and maybe fine something that look like a road surface for it to live.  Thanks for your points.

Hi Andy,

Having seen the big decals for the parade version, I would suggest to use full gloss finish under the decals to ensure best and most smooth surface. It will ensure that there will not be any “silvering” over the decals whcih would look awful.

So spray some light layers of gloss varnish onto the future decal area, wait for full drying (1-2 days), apply the decals (you would consider to use some decal softener solutions for best result) and after the decal is dried (I typically wait a day), spray a protective mattish (or satin) finish. Once this is dried (another 1-2 days), you can apply some wash etc...

Surely other fellow modelers can provide you good step-by-step advices/topics on this site.

Tamas

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Agriamodeling said:

Hi Andy,

Having seen the big decals for the parade version, I would suggest to use full gloss finish under the decals to ensure best and most smooth surface. It will ensure that there will not be any “silvering” over the decals whcih would look awful.

So spray some light layers of gloss varnish onto the future decal area, wait for full drying (1-2 days), apply the decals (you would consider to use some decal softener solutions for best result) and after the decal is dried (I typically wait a day), spray a protective mattish (or satin) finish. Once this is dried (another 1-2 days), you can apply some wash etc...

Surely other fellow modelers can provide you good step-by-step advices/topics on this site.

Tamas

Hi Tamas, thanks for the advice on this, I will follow what you recommend and see how it turns out.

For me once paintwork complete, give it a coat of gloss varnish (tamiya is fine or even Halfords clear) to get a nice smooth glossy finish. Once dry apply decals, I always use micro sol and set to help the decals conform to the shape and bed into recesses etc. Again allow to dry and then another gloss coat if going to weather with washes etc, then a matt or satin finish depending upon your subject.

Hope this helps, if in time!

Good luck 

Darryl 

Well, I've done what I think I can do with this.  Not comparable to some of the great examples here, but it's my second build.  I did try and weather slightly, but a lot of the online photos had them fairly clean for the celebration day.  I made a mess of the two decals, one split into two!! and I lost one of the rear brake lights and foot steps.  I also didn't fix the seams in certain areas which was a shame.

48929460386_8cea8119f4_b.jpg

48929570412_50edefae4d_b.jpg

48928840628_a73161b5e8_b.jpg

48929379236_4a8213d210_b.jpg

Edited by Andy350
  • Like 3

Lovely build.

Having built Zvezda models myself (the T90, ZiS 151 and Mi 35) I am impressed since other than the ZiS the other 2 builds were very fiddly. Even in the ZiS I had problems with the drivetrain assembly.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Vaastav said:

Lovely build.

Having built Zvezda models myself (the T90, ZiS 151 and Mi 35) I am impressed since other than the ZiS the other 2 builds were very fiddly. Even in the ZiS I had problems with the drivetrain assembly.

Thank you.  I did find parts very fiddly, mainly the rear loading mech, that was hard going, but once all together and painted it looked a lot better.  The panels came together really well.  I wasn't too sure how to paint and weather the tracks, so I just used some "Flory models dark dirt".  Finishing/weathering is something that I need to read up on more before starting the T-55A.

• Like 1