2S35 Koalitsiya-SV self-propelled 152 MM Howitzer

Andy350

1 minute ago, Andy350 said:

I think my wife wants me out of the way, she brought this home today. 

Great kit Andy best of luck,you've ended up in the Aircraft WIP section though let the Mods know and they'll move it to armour

where the rest of the "Tankies" hang out!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, stevej60 said:

Great kit Andy best of luck,you've ended up in the Aircraft WIP section though let the Mods know and they'll move it to armour

where the rest of the "Tankies" hang out!

Ah Sorry!!  Can this be moved please?  It does look involved to say the least.  I need to take some time with this.  Plus, I need to read up how to paint this to give a "real effect".  Thanks

Edited by Andy350
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Andy350 said:

Ah Sorry!!  Can this be moved please?  It does look involved to say the least.  I need to take some time with this.  Plus, I need to read up how to paint this to give a "real effect".  Thanks

Report your post saying it needs to be moved. That's generally the best way to get the mods' attention

• Thanks 1

Good luck, you're in the right place if you need any advice etc.

Not my era but modelling is modelling and I'm sure someone can point you in the right direction on specifics if required. 

Have fun and enjoy.

• Thanks 1

Thanks all.  if anyone can offer some advice on how to do this one i would be grateful, there are a lot of small pieces, and I would imagine that how this is painted makes a difference.  I'm not sure how to paint this one?  I'm going to lay down a primer, have the grey surface primer, but not too sure if I need a black as well to give a better look.

Looking at that illustration, I would think that it is a piece of plastic mesh that you need to cut to size for the intakes. If it's missing from the kit, you could probably make something up from a suitable size piece of mesh or get an etched brass sheet from Accurate Armour.

John.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

Looking at that illustration, I would think that it is a piece of plastic mesh that you need to cut to size for the intakes. If it's missing from the kit, you could probably make something up from a suitable size piece of mesh or get an etched brass sheet from Accurate Armour.

John.

Thanks John. Not in the kit so will source. 

• Like 1

I'd only paint those parts that would be difficult to reach after assembly, like the interior, or would require an awkward masking job.

Generally easier to assemble/glue unpainted items.

Good luck.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

I'd only paint those parts that would be difficult to reach after assembly, like the interior, or would require an awkward masking job.

Generally easier to assemble/glue unpainted items.

Good luck.

Thanks Jasper, there are the areas where the wheel (is that what they're called?) which when on will make getting behind tricky.  Thanks for the advice.

1 hour ago, Bullbasket said:

Don't worry about that. When it's finished, if you put it on a base the groundwork will take care of the difference in height.

John.

Thanks John, not sure what happened, maybe I got the part numbers mixed up.

• Like 1

you have some play in the holes when mounting. If you have some tamiya extra thin cement, apply it to the connection of the brackets that hold the wheels and the hull. then you should be able to move them a bit without much effort. be sure to check both sides at once... or both sides could be streight, but angled to eachother...

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Silenoz said:

you have some play in the holes when mounting. If you have some tamiya extra thin cement, apply it to the connection of the brackets that hold the wheels and the hull. then you should be able to move them a bit without much effort. be sure to check both sides at once... or both sides could be streight, but angled to eachother...

I moved some of them into place last night, looks ok'ish now.  Don't want to stress anything too much.  When it comes to painting the tracks, can I use some silver touches to represent wear from the road?  I presume the tracks were steel and not a form of rubber?

I'm a bit stuck on the best method of painting these, I've got over with the black tyre coat, and now need to mask to apply the green.  There is a tiny lip which has to be green, and this is the bit that I am stuck with how to approach.  There is no way I can free hand that.

48875416218_17fd60f4e0_b.jpg

• Like 1

Poss not much help now, but the way I go about it is to paint the wheel first and then mask it out and spray.  You can always touch up any little bits afterwards or disguise with a little mud/dirt.

Or just paint the tyre by brush without the hassle of masking. 

• Thanks 1

I found a circle stencil sheet, used the 18mm and it didn't turn out too badly, not perfect, but good enough for me.

48881232181_f9ce79e4cc_b.jpg

Not sure about the track colour, the colour is supposed to be gun metal, XF61, think they look better in the black primer.

48881575752_cb1726e141_z.jpg

48881587412_31d633cbd3_z.jpg

Not too much to do now, turret is nearly done. 

Need some advice please on finishing. I was going to weather very slightly but, is a matt lacquer a good idea as well?  The back part of the turret where I think the artillery was complex, lots of small bits.  My main gripe was with the headlight assembly, very fiddly. 

2019-10-17_10-39-22

48914983896_7ae95c6203_b.jpg

Edited by Andy350
  • Like 2