WWII Naval colour film

Coors54

Wondering if anyone else caught the two programmes on BBC4 recently "Lost Films of World War II"?

I know maybe this should be in Entertainment but bear with me, the second episode started with about 5 minutes of colour film shot by an officer on HMS Kent both pre war in the Far East and later in the Med. Lots of clips showing aircraft carriers (Ark?) and battleships around Kent in action defending convoys plus close ups of AA armament and main armament firing, a feast for naval colour scheme experts.

This officer also kept a diary to back the film up, his daughter comments on the film and is obviously very proud of her dad (as she should be) and it does make me hope that copies of the film and diary find their way to the IWM.

Worth a look on iplayer https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m0008c3m/lost-films-of-wwii-series-1-episode-2 and I would be interested to hear other, more expert views of the film and whether it has anything new to offer to current wisdom on those ships shown.

Dave

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Coors54 said:

the second episode started with about 5 minutes of colour film shot by an officer on HMS Kent both pre war in the Far East and later in the Med. Lots of clips showing aircraft carriers (Ark?) and battleships around Kent in action defending convoys plus close ups of AA armament and main armament firing, a feast for naval colour scheme experts.

I'll put  a @Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies  and @iang  here, as they will most likely know if known, and what is to be seen.

HTH

• Like 1

I’ve just watched the first film (of 2), which has about 30 seconds of a Fulmar flying from Argus (accompanied by audio of an RAF Battle of Britain pilot...).  I haven’t seen the 2nd one yet.  

There are some interesting internal colour shots of an Coastal Command Anson [which might interest @The Baron] and B&W film of a Reliant looking positively nimble!

• Like 1

[Edited double post]

The first few minutes of the 2nd film are the stuff from HMS Kent mentioned by @Coors54.  There are short-ish glimpses of Ark launching a Fulmar in the Med, an Illustrious (camouflaged, so @Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies will doubtless be able to say which), Furious, Rodney/Nelson (again, don’t know which), a C class cruiser, several destroyers.  Even a couple of seconds of Eagle sinking (albeit seen from about 5 miles away), and some pretty candid film of Kent after she was hit astern by a torpedo. 

As always, there is something about seeing these things (mostly) in colour that makes them far less remote.

Thanks for the tip-off, Dave!

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 1

On ‎03‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 08:39, Dave Fleming said:

Ep 2 has what i think is a Reliant at 8.23ish in a very interesting colour scheme

Is that a Robin or Regal?  🤣

Edited by Chewbacca