Handley Page O/400- O/700 civil passenger transport

11 hours ago, Courageous said:

Nail biting stuff...

Stuart

Funny as it seems, Stuart, my blood pressure did go up a bit.

Oooooooommmmmmmmmm

10 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

She's taking shape, Moa :), and looking wonderful!

Martin

Thanks Martin

My older son, also a modeler, believes otherwise: he says he hasn't seen a plane this ugly in ages.

Unlearned, impertinent youth, what can you do.

• Haha 6

6 hours ago, Moa said:

My older son, also a modeler, believes otherwise: he says he hasn't seen a plane this ugly in ages.

Unlearned, impertinent youth, what can you do.

A good clip round the ear hole was my initial response to that question. My more considered response would be to get him to an optician so fast his feet won't touch the ground; and then give him a good clip round the ear hole for uttering such blasphemies. Next thing is that he'll be arguing that such paragons of aviation pulchritude as the Short Seamew and Blackburn Blackburn are ugly.

Martin 👽  (Purveyor of advanced child behavioral solutions to the Galaxy)

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

1 hour ago, Martian Hale said:

A good clip round the ear hole was my initial response to that question. My more considered response would be to get him to an optician so fast his feet won't touch the ground; and then give him a good clip round the ear hole for uttering such blasphemies. Next thing is that he'll be arguing that such paragons of aviation pulchritude as the Short Seamew and Blackburn Blackburn are ugly.

You really made me squirt the pasta red sauce through my nostrils, you barbaric alien.

The poor kid has a terrible enough life: he builds in 1/48 and even 1/35 and 1/24, all at the same time, to my shame and consternation, and most of it is (sorry about the bad language) military models.

But there is still time for him to see the path to the luminous side of the force.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

3 minutes ago, Moa said:

But there is still time for him to see the path to the luminous side of the force.

Well, we can get him part of the way there. Persuade him to join Britmodeller. That way he will at least see the luminous side of the farce.

Enlightened of Mars 👽

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

8 minutes ago, Moa said:

You really made me squirt the pasta red sauce through my nostrils, you barbaric alien.

I thank you.*

Martian 👽

*In best Arthur Askey voice. (Mrs Moa will no doubt explain if necessary.)

• Haha 2

43 minutes ago, Moa said:

The poor kid has a terrible enough life: he builds in 1/48 and even 1/35 and 1/24, all at the same time, to my shame and consternation, and most of it is (sorry about the bad language) military models.

Obviously a rebellious young lad, acting out. Hopefully he will outgrow it. 

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

The lad doesn't appreciate the sublime loveliness of the Blackburn Blackburn (the aeroplane so beautiful they had to name it twice)!? Not to be allowed! I suppose he thinks the Avro Bison is also unattractive. I shudder to think of what his opinion is of the heavenly Caproni Stipa. Oh what a generation of vipers we've spawned!

Sadly,

Jason

P.S. Just once, just once, I'd love to see a thread on this site without a Van Eyck painting making an appearance (see Post #143). And don't even get me started on the Brueghels.

Edited by Learstang
Additional peals of wisdom added.
  • Haha 4

23 minutes ago, Learstang said:

The lad doesn't appreciate the sublime loveliness of the Blackburn Blackburn (the aeroplane so beautiful they had to name it twice)!? Not to be allowed! I suppose he thinks the Avro Bison is also unattractive. I shudder to think of what his opinion is of the heavenly Caproni Stipa. Oh what a generation of vipers we've spawned!

Sadly,

Jason

All of which pale compared against the sublime aesthetic apotheosis that is the Farman Jabiru, of course.

The horror, Jason, the horror...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I think you should sit your offspring down and show him that he has caused a major international, nay, Galactic incident, as well as making you snort pasta sauce up your nostrils..

Indignant of Mars 👽

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

10 hours ago, Moa said:

All of which pale compared against the sublime aesthetic apotheosis that is the Farman Jabiru, of course.

The horror, Jason, the horror...

But which Jabiru variant to choose, Claudio? I mean one's prettier than another...

Best Regards,

Jason

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, Moa said:

I confess: I ate my phone.

That's a good of a use for the wretched things as anything else. How did it go with the pasta sauce?

Best Regards,

Jason

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

A good clip round the ear hole 

Wow! You took me back to my youth, on the farm. How many times I got that curled middle finger knuckle tapped onto the side of my noggin for various misdomeanors.

Even to this day, at age 65, I still feel his presence when in those situations where I could mess up, but then do the proper thing. It did have a postitive, life-long effect.

Chris

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Learstang said:

But which Jabiru variant to choose, Claudio? I mean one's prettier than another...

Best Regards,

Jason

Whilst the four-engine version allows that prominent nose to blossom into the airstream, the three-engine one has such retro-avant-garde flavor...and the two-engine one hearkens back to Humpty Dumpty happy times...hard to decide, Jason.

Even Paris would have been even more troubled than when he had to do his famous judgement.

Link to SDASM:

Franz Schell Album Image

Link to Varese2002 photostream:

The Farman F.4X Jabiru (Stork) civil registration F-AHAG trimotor civil aeroplane [France, 1925]

Link to AFVINTAGE photostream:

CIDNA's Farman Jabiru F-AHAF "Colonel Gilbert CASSE"

• Like 6
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 1

The answer is simple Moa, build all three. No, build two of them and make that evil child make the third as a penance.

Martian the Just 👽

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Did Farman have some sort of competition amongst its designers to see who could come up with the most absurd-looking version of the Jabiru? Regarding their avant-garde nature, they do look like they were designed by Dadaists (perhaps Tristan Tzara or Max Ernst), as sort of anti-aeroplanes, just as Dada was anti-art.

Best Regards,

Jason

Edited by Learstang
Additional comment added.
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

I think you should sit your offspring down and show him that he has caused an international, nay, Galactic incident, as well as making you snort pasta sauce up your nostrils..

Indignant of Mars 👽

I did!

I sent him a link to this section of the thread.

But ultimately it must be considered that he is a beer brewer, and you don't want to lose his favor...

• Like 3
  • Haha 1