Handley Page O/400- O/700 civil passenger transport

Wow! I live in warm enough climes (South-Central Texas) to see those amazing little critters from time to time. I believe I could use their metabolism to get some of my models completed.

Best Regards,

Jason

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Took many, many photos of them in a Peru when I was there last year, very few of them turned any good, the little b*****s just won’t stay in one place for more than 5 seconds!  Beautiful creatures though.

AW

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

20 hours ago, dogsbody said:

Hey, Moa. I just came across these two photos on a Facebook page. I thought you may be interested. 

Oh, it's an H-P W10:

49532635426_4f87bb1fe9_o.jpg

Chris

Sorry, but it's a W8b, not a W10.  The latter was a derivative of the Hyderabad bomber, with similarly-angular tail surfaces. which are an instant recognition feature. 

11 minutes ago, Roger Holden said:

Sorry, but it's a W8b, not a W10.  The latter was a derivative of the Hyderabad bomber, with similarly-angular tail surfaces. which are an instant recognition feature. 

Hey, I just went by what was on that Facebook page. Seeing as it's all about British aviation, I thought it would be correct. My bad!

Chris

• Like 1

Rigging progresses ever so slowly, only a few lengths per session. The dark paint against dark rigging material situation makes visualizing really difficult, not to mention that each segment has to be cut to exact length and then inserted in one hole and then the other, at odd angles, and trying no to bang the tail or wingtips against the visor, the lamp, the table, etc. and not to entangle with previous rigging or model details.
Lots of zen attitude: "The are no struts, there is no model, there is no rigging material. All is empty. Even ‹all is empty› is empty":

IMG_8517+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

• Like 16

1 hour ago, Moa said:

Rigging progresses ever so slowly, only a few lengths per session. The dark paint against dark rigging material situation makes visualizing really difficult, not to mention that each segment has to be cut to exact length and then inserted in one hole and then the other, at odd angles, and trying no to bang the tail or wingtips against the visor, the lamp, the table, etc. and not to entangle with previous rigging or model details.
Lots of zen attitude: "The are no struts, there is no model, there is no rigging material. All is empty. Even ‹all is empty› is empty":

IMG_8517+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

Oh your going to enjoy the this. The tail is great fun. 😱

looking stunning by the way. 🤯🤩

Edited by The Spadgent
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, P.1127 said:

Another delightful thread to follow, thanks for continuing to take the time to share.

Thanks P.1127, often takes quite some time, the photos and the writing and the uploading, but I have enjoyed and learned much during many years from fellow modelers and aviation enthusiasts that posted their work, thoughts and material, so it's a way of thanking and keeping the river flowing.

Cheers

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Courageous said:

Okay, how do measure the lengths required when it's not 'empty'?

Stuart

Hi Stuart

More seriously: I use either dividers or a slim ruler, but most of the times I can't get them in, so I take a ballpark measure, cut a length and start to trim it down until it fits comfortably. I use the same measure for the mirrored position on the other wing.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Moa said:

Already dealt with the tail, and fuselage side and bottom rigging/cabling, mister.

Only more work on the wing remains.

Now, where did I leave my eyesight?

Dang!!! Sorry couldn’t see it in the shot. My apologies. 😇

• Haha 1

More rigging is done. At this point it was decided to add the main landing gear, to see what would happen. The gear supported the weight of the model, but the stress is too obvious. The axles that hold the wheels are arched a bit. This gear won't tolerate even a minor mishandling:

IMG_8565+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

The tailskid rig is glued on too:

IMG_8567+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

Model standing on its gear.
I think that if you leave the model on a shelf, and if you come back months later, you may notice that the wheel axles are too curved or have given up. I think that once completed I will have to find a way of relieving the weight from the landing gear, may be using a prop in the guise of boxes or luggage stack under the fuselage:

IMG_8569+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

I have to complete that rigging that is taking ages, in part due to the fact that I am replicating the double flying wires at each station. Then engine front, props, lights and other bits will be added.

• Like 13