Handley Page O/400- O/700 civil passenger transport

I spent some time studying in photos the control cables that go to the tail, having found a great variation depending on the type of plane, which makes sense given the different cabin lengths and types and remaining space.

This plane had a large control horn on the nose over the right side, and elevator cables were routed partially externally.

I drilled some small holes for some cables that are pertinent to this version.
Photos revealed areas of walkways around the engines, which are being replicated with two layers of home-made decals, a color base and texture on top:

IMG_8089+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

• Like 17

I'd question laquered Brass on the engines as they would be unnecessarily heavy. 

True, but I've never seen gold paint from that era either. It'd be much more likely to be battleship grey or PC10. But it's Moa's party and he can cry if he wants to...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Marklo said:

It'd be much more likely to be battleship grey or PC10.

Nope, it won't.

Here two takes of the same plane at the same time, from different angles, with that change in reflection I mentioned long ago here.

No grey, no PC10, no brass (for the obvious reasons John stated) nor black -as you also mention somewhere above-.

This is the last of my comments on this particular subject.

49460568142_9bd770e96d_z.jpg

49460568187_98c39a3bea_b.jpg

• Like 9

I won’t argue the case (just wait till you see the liberties I take when I finish the pink thing :) ) I’m a big fan of pleasing colour on models, it can be almost impossible to figure out a given colour from old photos and I’m no rivet counter.

I must say the gold looks very nice against the pc10.

I’ve  worked on colour matching in my professional life and even with the latest technology it can be extremely challenging.

Oh and if you want an exercise in colour frustration try to get a clear opinion on what colour a British mk IV heavy tank should be ( I eventually went for chocolate. Brown) or google 4bo ( soviet military green) 

Edited by Marklo

10 hours ago, Marklo said:

It'd be much more likely to be battleship grey or PC10. But it's Moa's party and he can cry if he wants to...

Looking at those photos Moa attached, I would say they are indeed Battleship Grey (a semi-matt medium grey).  One of the most common colours for metal cowl panels on WWI British aircraft. Nothing unusual or contentious there at all.....

Note in the upper photo that the sunlight from a high angle is touching on the front cowls and the  rear of the nacelles The metal parts will be marginally smoother than the fabric areas so slightly more reflective. I think that the prop blades would also have been Grey with a natural wood centre. Perhaps the lack of contrast is due to the type of film used.

John

1 hour ago, Roger Holden said:

Looking at those photos Moa attached, I would say they are indeed Battleship Grey (a semi-matt medium grey).  One of the most common colours for metal cowl panels on WWI British aircraft. Nothing unusual or contentious there at all.....

I suggest you open a new thread somewhere else to discuss any aspect of this you may like.

• Like 2

Those lamps (fabulous by the way) beg the question - when did nav lights come into common usage on aircraft?  Not something I have thought about before, just taken for granted.  They are certainly not seen on WWI aircraft.

AW

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Moa said:

I suggest you open a new thread somewhere else to discuss any aspect of this you may like.

Yes enough on the colour debate.

49457975708_dd0efb89d0_z.jpg

This is my AT&T DH4a, it probably should be gloss black not blue, in fact there is a thread somewhere debating this, many contributors on this forum said the same, but 1) I had already painted it blue and 2) It's my model and I think the blue looks nicer. So there.

• Like 10

7 hours ago, Andwil said:

Those lamps (fabulous by the way) beg the question - when did nav lights come into common usage on aircraft?  Not something I have thought about before, just taken for granted.  They are certainly not seen on WWI aircraft.

AW

Not all HP O/7 had them, and I don't think I can see them in the civil O/400.

The plane I am portraying is from 1922, but I have no idea when they came into use.

11 hours ago, Andwil said:

beg the question - when did nav lights come into common usage on aircraft?  Not something I have thought about before, just taken for granted.  They are certainly not seen on WWI aircraft.

AW

Following a mid-air collision involving a DH18 and Farman Goliath in 1922.  This accident was the first serious one between airliners and brought forth a whole raft of safety regulations, including the introduction of navigation lights and rules for passing

between oncoming airliners based on nautical practice:

https://aviation-safety.net/database/record.php?id=19220407-0

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1922_Picardie_mid-air_collision

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

At this point in the build things seem to slow down, progress doesn't look as dramatic. Instead, details and careful handling absorb a large amount of time, but the results are usually lost to the glancing eye.
 Handles and tail light:

IMG_8096+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

A suspicious discharge outlet in the restroom area:

IMG_8097+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

A control horn not present on other version, to which external control cables will be attached:

IMG_8098+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

Windshields:

IMG_8099+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

• Like 12