Handley Page O/400- O/700 civil passenger transport

7 minutes ago, Moa said:

Gondor, Sire:

In Gondolin it's customary to provide shinny surfaces to facilitate the application of decals, surfaces which are later delicately toned down a bit with the sealing coat, when appropriate.

Elendil!

Oh Elendil,

Thou speakest as if to a novice. Do not mistake my lack of postings as a lack of knowlage, for I have forgotten far more about modelling than I remember although glossing a surface prior to decal aplication is not one of those things forgot.

Gondor

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Gondor44 said:

Oh Elendil,

Thou speakest as if to a novice. Do not mistake my lack of postings as a lack of knowlage, for I have forgotten far more about modelling than I remember although glossing a surface prior to decal aplication is not one of those things forgot.

Gondor

Far from me to even think of signing with such noble name!

I was more a sort of farewell greeting.

I also regret having insulted your wisdom, sire.

I just sent with a courier a supply of lembas to atone for my hastiness. It may take a while to reach you, if it ever does, actually, given that there are some difficulties to be encountered when you try to ride a horse across an ocean.

But the intention is what counts, after all.

Well, Shaolin Modelling Monk, I have read through your build with much interest. Your attention to detail is exemplary - I love the interior. I have come to the conclusion that in comparison to you I am a 'quick and dirty' modeller !! We each have our own ways of enjoying this wonderful hobby.

Below is an image of the pink "make love, not war" aircraft I did a while ago. I believe you commented on it 🙂

49099422846_83d39538b3_z.jpgIMG_1865 by arhills, on Flickr

• Like 5

The areas that constitute the white background for the registrations are masked. 

The greenish-brownish color (PC10 is usually chosen) that everybody loves to argue about everywhere, will be next. 

I am leaning towards a specific hue I want to use, it's called "WIBW" (Whatever I Bloody Want)

For the sake of detail, and because it can be easily missed: there is a very small area in metal color that is the front faring of the first fuselage opening.

That was painted before and will now be also masked before applying the final color.

IMG_7920+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

• Like 10

The usual challenges that one encounters in dealing with arcana are part of the adventurous modeler (and the Shaolin Modeling Monk) life.

Long hours did I spend contemplating in meditation the few images I have of the specific plane I want to represent (as it flew in the US as a demonstrator at Curtiss Field).

The changes of the hue in the photos of the engine gondolas (that are definitely not the same as the rest of the plane) from dark to light to medium tone gave me much to ponder about.

We know as a fact that contemporary planes send to India had blue engine nacelles (others in civil service in England may have too, what that´s not easy to corroborate).

But greenish-brown paint with blue is an aesthetically disturbing thought, to say the least.

There is one other color that I have seen in photos doing the same trick, and it's gold.

So gold it is for my engine gondolas.

They have been kept separate, because I have to fabricate the extra aft struts they need, and add the exposed engine I built for one of them, and I wanted to do that having the lower wing ready.

• Like 2

Yes the gold will look much, much better than blue with the PC10.  With a colour photo most unlikely to ever emerge and the plane being before reliable living memory who’s to know what colour it really was, so go for what looks best.

AW

• Like 1

Late to the party, as usual, but I'll be tagging along for the ride! Like Marklo, I have one in the original green styrene gathering dust in the stash, which was purchased specifically to do a civilian conversion. I've always been put off by the wing corrugations (they look like some of the local roads ...) but had never thought of getting stuck into them with an orbital sander! 

Like others, I started building a military one way back when, but getting the wings right proved to be a problem. The model was put away "for ron", but ended up succumbing to a succession of house moves and was finally chucked.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Admiral Puff said:

The model was put away "for ron", but ended up succumbing to a succession of house moves and was finally chucked.

I do not know if this is an apocryphal story, but there are rumors of an Airfix HP O/400 moor, made of discarded kits, somewhere in Yorkshire.

• Haha 5

20 minutes ago, Moa said:

I do not know if this is an apocryphal story, but there are rumors of an Airfix HP O/400 moor, made of discarded kits, somewhere in Yorkshire.

Mine won't be there - it's most likely at the old Wollongong tip!

• Haha 2

20 hours ago, Moa said:

There is one other color that I have seen in photos doing the same trick, and it's gold.

So gold it is for my engine gondolas.

Gold is *extremely* unlikely in the early 1920s.  There were only gold and silver dopes back then, suitable only for the fabric surfaces (and usually made by stirring gold or silver powder into clear dope). The metal cowl parts were normally painted with enamel and suitable metallic-coloured enamels only appeared in the 1930s.  Indeed, the US Navy couldn't source a suitable silver paint for the metal parts on its silver-doped aircraft until the mid-1930s, why they had to keep painting them with navy grey enamel.  Metal parts in the 1920s were typically painted dark blue/green/red/grey/black enamel (similar to the car bodies of the era). 

42 minutes ago, Roger Holden said:

Gold is *extremely* unlikely in the early 1920s.  There were only gold and silver dopes back then, suitable only for the fabric surfaces (and usually made by stirring gold or silver powder into clear dope). The metal cowl parts were normally painted with enamel and suitable metallic-coloured enamels only appeared in the 1930s.  Indeed, the US Navy couldn't source a suitable silver paint for the metal parts on its silver-doped aircraft until the mid-1930s, why they had to keep painting them with navy grey enamel.  Metal parts in the 1920s were typically painted dark blue/green/red/grey/black enamel (similar to the car bodies of the era). 

Gold paint has been available for ages, even longer ago. Contemporary cars had gold-painted trims, just as an example.

In any case, Roger, build a HP and paint it exactly the way you like it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Moa said:

Gold paint has been available for ages, even longer ago. Contemporary cars had gold-painted trims, just as an example.

In any case, Roger, build a HP and paint it exactly the way you like it.

Doubt whether I will ever build an HP, but I look forward to seeing your suitably 'blinged-out' example 🤣.  

I have spent some time reading up on this project the last few days, and I must say that I am very impressed. You are doing wonderful work on this old bitch of a kit, improving the crude parts and iffy details and at the same time doing a very interesting conversion. It's all very inspiring and I will enjoy following this work to the finish line!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Bengalensis said:

I have spent some time reading up on this project the last few days, and I must say that I am very impressed. You are doing wonderful work on this old bitch of a kit, improving the crude parts and iffy details and at the same time doing a very interesting conversion. It's all very inspiring and I will enjoy following this work to the finish line!

Jörgen, you are more than kind.

I try.

Cheers

The other side is painted:

IMG_7956+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

This is a home-made color, and I worked for that very subtle sheen:

IMG_7957+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

The gold I used on the gondolas is not Alclad, which would have rendered a too shiny and light hue, but an enamel that to my taste matches the gold I have seen in original, unrestored museum pieces, like machinery and vehicles:

IMG_7959+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

IMG_7960+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

• Like 12