Handley Page O/400- O/700 civil passenger transport

The first bit is glued on:

IMG_7464+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

The largest bit is filled with epoxy (Milliput will do too) and glued on. This way, if you have to sand a bit to conform the part to the fuselage and cut trough the thin vac, you still have epoxy behind:

IMG_7465+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

The part is on. The mid part, which has the instrument panel, is being prepared:

IMG_7466+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

• Like 12

Ah, tedium. The constant boon companion of any modeller worth his salt. I believe if the Ancient Romans had been plastic modellers, that would have been the name of the God of Modelling, 'Tedium'. Que trabajo maravilloso, como siempre, Claudio!*

Best Regards,

Jason

*Proving I'm the Renaissance Man of Britmodeller, I refer to the Ancient Romans and include a phrase in Spanish (not translated by ought but my feverish brain, the Espanol remembered from my University days) in my post. Okay, Procopius has me beaten by a country mile when it comes to being a Renaissance Man of Modelling, but I'm a very distant second. Very. Distant.

Edited by Learstang
  • Haha 2

One Kalpa later, the lower wing is done:

IMG_7476+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

Successive layers of primer are sprayed:

IMG_7477+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

Once reasonably dry, the tape is removed. Due to the bad quality of the tape I got, there was a little seepage here and there, but fortunately things are mainly ok, just waiting for a light sanding to soften the edges. You can see that other areas of the fuselage have been taped and puttied where needed too:

IMG_7478+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

• Like 12

13 hours ago, Moa said:

Which of course reminds me of Monty Python's Life of Brian "Romani ite domum".

Which was reviewed in class once.  It's dead on.

7 hours ago, Moa said:

One Kalpa later, the lower wing is done:

Very nice.  All I can say is "Damn Yankees!"

• Haha 1

On 12/12/2019 at 6:44 PM, Moa said:

They are still used (and the system being expanded, even) in Mendoza, Argentine:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trolleybuses_in_Mendoza

I’m old enough to remember trolley buses in Nottingham (my original home).  I think they went in the late-60s.  My brothers and I used to snigger at my Mum referring to their depot as “the tram sheds”, but now realise that they’d been tram sheds a lot more recently in the 60s than they’ve housed trolley buses now...  Age is a bugger.

Lovely ribbage, Moa!

• Like 2

On 12/14/2019 at 4:46 AM, Courageous said:

Nice work on the ribs Moa. Any chance of close-up shots of your ribbing before and after sanding?

Stuart

Surely, Stuart:

The ribs as they appear after removing the tape. The "rib tapes" are about 0.5mm width:

IMG_7479+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

After some light sanding. The paint will later soften them a bit more:

IMG_7488+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

I can't stress enough the need for using a good masking tape (Tamiya or similar) since the Amazon cheapo versions (I got many of them to try) I used -because they had a better size closer to what I needed- are really bad in many accounts: in some the edges were frayed, others will not adhere properly, all left some residue, some will stuck only to lift of their own will after an hour or so, and so forth.

Get a good tape, of a good brand, avoid the green stuff I used and any other unknown brand, especially if they come from china.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1