Handley Page O/400- O/700 civil passenger transport

4 minutes ago, Moa said:

Deimos (Fear, Terror) or Phobos (Panic) are both acceptable.

I have to give you fair warning, though: they only consume denatured food and things barely recognizable as edible stock, and tend to see anything beyond beans, mash and low-quality bangers as an unnecessary and pretentious complication.

They will be lucky if the food is that good. Demos is noted for having the worst cooking in the Galaxy.

It occurs to me that if Mrs Moa sees this thread, you are deader than a dead thing that is feeling a bit off colour. :deadhorse:

Concerned of Mars 👽

• Haha 3

After the winters up here, on The Backside of Beyond, southern California is a great place to visit. I ( we ) have only been there twice ( Disneyland ) and have journeyed south to San Diego to Sea World and the zoo, but we really enjoyed it. I actually got to fly in these two aircraft and got to take the controls for a while.

28542719468_5d7c10581a_c.jpg

28542719478_4b56b88d5e_c.jpg

27545605887_18f1c26579_c.jpg

27545605957_253736f9d3_c.jpg

Chris

• Like 7

58 minutes ago, Moa said:

We real Spanish-speakers like to compile and exchange cases of misspelling and mispronunciation, so common here in California, where it's tradition to do pretend-Spanish.

It's the same for us English ex-pats. Americans do the same with our language! At least in New England MOST of the towns with English names are correctly pronounced, but one annoying exception is Norwich. Pronounced NOR-itch in England and Nor-WITCH in the US!

Ian

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Moa said:

Some have even learned that Taco Bell is not Mexican food. 

Yes but it so nice :) 

It rained once when I was there, there were 300 crashes on the freeway that day, I kid you not. Imagine all those southern Californians looking and going ‘why is there water coming from the sky’ while skidding into each other, it was like driving through a war zone going home that evening sad and hilarious in equal measure.

Now that I think of it it also rained the day I was supposed to take my team to 6 flags, never did get there, but not a big fan of rollercoasters so no great loss. 

Never got to Mexico either. Hmmm

@dogsbody very cool I’m jealous.

As for having 1 season, what about us ; we tend to have all four in the same day. 

And then there is my favourite weather quote “I love summer it’s my favourite week of the year”

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

58 minutes ago, dogsbody said:

After the winters up here, on The Backside of Beyond, southern California is a great place to visit. I ( we ) have only been there twice ( Disneyland ) and have journeyed south to San Diego to Sea World and the zoo, but we really enjoyed it. I actually got to fly in these two aircraft and got to take the controls for a while.

28542719468_5d7c10581a_c.jpg

28542719478_4b56b88d5e_c.jpg

27545605887_18f1c26579_c.jpg

27545605957_253736f9d3_c.jpg

Chris

Nice Travel Air!

For that I forgive you the other one.

Magnanimous Californiensis

• Like 1

When I was in the Travelaire and at the controls, I flew it right up to this point, when the pilot said " I've got it ". I swung up my camera and took this shot. What a great experience, flying in an open cockpit over the coast of Southern California.

49025430067_df855a9953_b.jpg

Chris

• Like 6

40 minutes ago, dogsbody said:

Apparently, HP kept some elements of that design around for a while. This is an interior shot of a Heyford.

Chris

Yes, the Heyford: Death by Aesthetic Shock.

The most devastating weapon in Britain's psychological arsenal.

Many, many moons ago (when I was still an heretic, blinded by the Dark Side of the Force) I built one for my British father-in-law, before his passing:

49026898327_7c539a8003_b.jpg

• Like 9

Question from the peanut gallery.

49027912037_851c9f76ed.jpgHP passengers by Erik Solie, on Flickr

Let's say the two stick figures just entered the HP from opposite doors, and greenie says something to irritate the other.  If they decided to fight in the middle, how would they get there?  There's two rows of chairs in the middle.  Do they use the triangular uprights as some sort of monkey bars to acrobatically swing their legs from up and over the intervening chairs?  Just how collapsible are those chairs?

• Haha 3

Another masterpiece in the making. This one, plus Adrians Empire Flying Boat build, have got me completely hooked.

Airfix Magazine had a short article on the 0/400 Airliners back in April 1970. Here's the article, I hope there's something in there you can make use of.

Tony.

IMG-0015.jpg

IMG-0017.jpg

IMG-0014.jpg

• Like 3

Lovely. Funny I had a similar thought on the chairs. I started my fuselage an I suspect I won’t see a while lot of the main cabin through windows ( mind I haven’t unmasked them yet or put the tip in the fuselage)

Now if only someone had a photo of G-IAAC...

Edited by Marklo

4 hours ago, Bronzemeister said:

Let's say the two stick figures just entered the HP from opposite doors, and greenie says something to irritate the other.  If they decided to fight in the middle, how would they get there?  There's two rows of chairs in the middle.  Do they use the triangular uprights as some sort of monkey bars to acrobatically swing their legs from up and over the intervening chairs?  Just how collapsible are those chairs?

"Chair fight" wwf-panda-fight-t-shirt.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Don’t worry Moa we’re only laughing with you. No wait at you :) 

Perhaps  your seat is a bit wide ( I’ve heard that so many times it’s lost all meaning, might be diet time)

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Mind you, I'm not saying that Moa's chairs are too big (they probably are spot on), I'm just saying it seems like HP has not thought this all thru.

Maybe he should be using those little English staples, oh, you know, the size of ones Aeroclub accessories used to use on it's header tags.  If only there was some way of finding out what type they were........

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Bronzemeister said:

Mind you, I'm not saying that Moa's chairs are too big (they probably are spot on), I'm just saying it seems like HP has not thought this all thru.

Those wide chairs are also going to prevent some passengers from getting to the toilet. Oh! The horror!

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Bronzemeister said:

Ahem...

The chairs are to scale, 43 ctms. wide, problem is the kit walls are not scale-thick -that is too thick-, thus forcing a narrower cabin floor, thus pushing the perfectly-scaled chairs together.

You will notice that there is actually a (narrow) space between chairs, in fact, the cabin has been "stick figure-certified" by our Inspector in Residence (the one that grounded the other model because of certain insignificant problem with truly organic, bio-degradable, environmentally friendly rubber bands)> @John Aero.

Take it up with him.

Your stick figures could perfectly transit the (now narrow) catwalk. If they fight, though, the air marshal will fold them and push them out trough the relief facilities.

No fighting in my peaceful models.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

9 hours ago, TonyW said:

Another masterpiece in the making. This one, plus Adrians Empire Flying Boat build, have got me completely hooked.

Airfix Magazine had a short article on the 0/400 Airliners back in April 1970. Here's the article, I hope there's something in there you can make use of.

Tony.

Thanks Tony, I did not have this one.

I agree, Adrian is doing a magnificent job.

Cheers

11 hours ago, Marklo said:

Lovely. Funny I had a similar thought on the chairs. I started my fuselage an I suspect I won’t see a while lot of the main cabin through windows ( mind I haven’t unmasked them yet or put the tip in the fuselage)

Now if only someone had a photo of G-IAAC...

I believe it did not wear its given registration on the fuselage at any point, is that what you mean?

There are photos on the Net of it without them:

171-1.jpg

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Marklo said:

I won’t see a while lot of the main cabin through windows

Due to the extensive windowed surface on the original plane (in the full cabin examples), the interior will be quite visible once the model is completed (of course now the model is missing the structural bits in the middle of the window panes):

(Dry run):

IMG_6893+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

IMG_6894+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

IMG_6895+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

• Like 9

10 hours ago, TonyW said:

Tony.

As said above, this is good and welcome material.

Just a word for those also researching the type: as I read it, I already spotted a few inaccuracies, and minor typos, i.e. : G-EEAF (F5414) in the list is actually -and irrevocably so- G-EAAF. The name of one of the planes was Old Carthusian, not Carthsian ,and so forth.

Like any other source, cross-check all relevant data, and then when possible against photos.

Cheers

• Like 1