Handley Page O/400- O/700 civil passenger transport

The construction of the wicker chairs begins, printing a double-sided pattern and preparing the parts.
More than necessary are always made, to discard the ones that aren't as good:

IMG_6838+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

IMG_6839+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

This may seem difficult, laborious and painful, but it is actually dismal, atrocious and soul-wrenching.

• Like 6
  • Haha 8

1 hour ago, Moa said:

After several days of relentless work I am half-way through the seat-making.

The smuggled refurbished replicator @Martian Hale sold me is crap, man.

If you see him at Telford tell him that I want my payment in Argentinean empanadas back.

No refunds here! You should have read the small print on the packaging. Caveat Martian.

Martian 👽

• Haha 5

That last picture has got me wondering.......

Wasn't there some sort of parasite project that HP was working on?  Something like this?

49005018547_0fc31d7cd0.jpgParasite by Erik Solie, on Flickr

I'm just sayin.....  If the loo is full, you could always make an unscheduled stop and then catch back up!

Edited by Bronzemeister
forgot half the joke
  • Haha 3

32 minutes ago, Bronzemeister said:

That last picture has got me wondering.......

Wasn't there some sort of parasite project that HP was working on?  Something like this?

49005018547_0fc31d7cd0.jpgParasite by Erik Solie, on Flickr

I'm just sayin.....  If the loo is full, you could always make an unscheduled stop and then catch back up!

Brilliant!

👍

Funnily enough I though empanadas were not unlike potstickers and I wasn’t entirely wrong. Look rather tasty.

Are those staples you’re using for the chairs? I’ve laser cut ( I have a 1w laser engraver which I bought from the web for euro not empanadas) some chair templates  for mine, which I will fold and glue (sounds fancy but its not really) I am working on (my usual) basis that once the fuselage is zipped up very little of the interior will be visible :) 

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Marklo said:

Funnily enough I though empanadas were not unlike potstickers and I wasn’t entirely wrong. Look rather tasty.

Are those staples you’re using for the chairs? I’ve laser cut ( I have a 1w laser engraver which I bought from the web for euro not empanadas) some chair templates  for mine, which I will fold and glue (sounds fancy but its not really) I am working on (my usual) basis that once the fuselage is zipped up very little of the interior will be visible :) 

Hi Marklo

Empanadas are more closely related to British turnovers. Properly made are delicious, with different fillings and diverse regional styles.

Those are, indeed, staples, halved, bent, and cut; the same I use to staple myself to the building board for speed builds.

Laser cutters and mask plotters are an extraordinary help to able modelers. I have none, and, although a visual artist, I would have 0 proficiency handling the corresponding computer programs to create the necessary patterns, and surely don't want to learn now.

I don't have a lathe either, and sometimes I wish I had one (and knew how to use it).

Same goes for resin, a very helpful tool, of which I know nothing, so I have to build the same thing over and over again.

Modeling Troglodyte

(Or, as I like to call myself, a Romantic Modeler)

• Like 2

Ahh I am an engineer and have a lathe in the post as we speak (it is only a little one) but will be perfect for spinners, wheels and cowlings. 
My seats won’t be as plush as yours I’m just shooting for uniform and as said banking on not a lot being visible. 

But tbh my rigging is turning out to be a bigger issue. Will post in my own thread when I get a chance. 

• Like 1

Some airbrushing goes on. These parts will be set aside as I proceed with other aspects of the build, but I like to have them ready in advance so they don't hinder progress later on:

IMG_6883+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

You may have noticed that the pace on the ongoing three builds has slowed dramatically, and that's because at this time of the year, with the holidays looming on the horizon, other pursues call our attention.

In my case this is compounded by a strong depression caused by knowing that we'll be going to my wife's British* family for Christmas (they live 7 hours away -if very lucky- in Christmas traffic).

And there I always find hateful things:

1) The said relatives

2) Their loathsome spawn: Babies

3) Pets

4) Despicable food

5) Discomfort

6) A blaring TV ceaselessly broadcasting inane and shallow shows

7) Blaring cheesy, vulgar, repetitive Christmas music, at the same time the TV is on

8 ) Every possible surface, everywhere, slimmed with dog slobber and hair; adding to that baby food, plus their own slime.

9) The hideous smell of all of the above

10) The hideous din of all of the above

After 20 years of that, I am ready to go back to my Shaolin Modeling Monastery.

I only ever wanted to build models.

*Nothing wrong with that per se, I think they were expelled and ended up here in California.

Please, please, take them back!

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, Moa said:

You may have noticed that the pace on the ongoing three builds has slowed dramatically, and that's because at this time of the year, with the holidays looming on the horizon, other pursues call our attention.

In my case this is compounded by a strong depression caused by knowing that we'll be going to my wife's British* family for Christmas (they live 7 hours away -if very lucky- in Christmas traffic).

<<SNIP>>

*Nothing wrong with that per se, I think they were expelled and ended up here in California.

You should know very well that there's a lot of these ex-pats here in the southland.  They will never, ever leave!  They like the exotic sounding town names like "Santa Monica" and "San Diego" that they can correctly pronounce (they think) and the closeness to the Pacific gives them the impression they are still in England on the one sunny day a year there.  They are a pleasant group more or less in my experience, but will make you take up the occasional bad habit.  I now put milk in my tea (Darjeeling preferably).  Some have even learned that Taco Bell is not Mexican food.  But all of them are silently addicted to the fact that we only have one season here, and it's not wet, cold, or foggy.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Moa said:

What's it worth?

Mercenary of Mars 👽

• Haha 1

I can say nothing bad about California (except LA, didn’t like that at all) it’s definitely my favourite part of America. Spent about a year in San Diego and lived it particularly liked la jolla (which I do know how to pronounce :) but possibly not spell  ) 

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, John Aero said:

The Californians have their faults too. Like the San Andrea's (Fault). But at least they got the Valley of the Moon cheap. Better let a Californian explain this one!

John

Yes, San Andreas is probably our biggest fault.  Heck, I live on top of it!  Everything east of it will eventually sink into the Atlantic ocean, at least that's what I remember from school....

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Bronzemeister said:

They like the exotic sounding town names like "Santa Monica" and "San Diego" that they can correctly pronounce (they think)

the Pacific gives them the impression they are still in England on the one sunny day a year there.

Some have even learned that Taco Bell is not Mexican food. 

My Yorkshire lass wife is laughing her snots off 🤧 😄

1 hour ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Nothing bad about California.. other than ... the fact that only having one season is inherently dull as dull can be.  Oh, and LA.  Purr-lease.

Not true, Sir. We have our four seasons:

Drought

Wildfires

Earthquake

Oscars

As per LA, I completely agree, it's the most awful city I have seen and experienced in my whole very long life.

The funny thing is that the rest of the world (that haven't been) believes the crap they are sold in the movies, and think it must be fantastic.

Another Hollywood miracle.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Marklo said:

Spent about a year in San Diego and lived it particularly liked lajolla (which I do know how to pronounce:) but possibly not spell  )

First, Marklo, my apologies that you have to live here, especially in San Diego.

La Jolla is a quasi-nice little quaint town, if you don't look too close. Don't worry about pronunciation and spelling (La Jolla is officially misspelled, as are many toponymics in the US, since originally it was La Joya, the jewel) We real Spanish-speakers like to compile and exchange cases of misspelling and mispronunciation, so common here in California, where it's tradition to do pretend-Spanish.

Fortunately I had been already to Mexico before coming to California, so I knew what real Mexican food was, before trying the local Hollywood version (probably styrofoam or particle board-based)

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Moa said:

Worth?

I WILL PAY YOU if you take them back!

Sounds acceptable. Cash or banker's draft only mind. May I suggest they go to the penal colony we run on Demos? (postage and packing extra)

Martian 👽

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Martian Hale said:

May I suggest they go to the penal colony we run on Demos?

Deimos (Fear, Terror) or Phobos (Panic) are both acceptable.

I have to give you fair warning, though: they only consume denatured food and things barely recognizable as edible stock, and tend to see anything beyond beans, mash and low-quality bangers as an unnecessary and pretentious complication.

• Haha 4