Searching for a 1/72 B-36 peacemaker or RB-36

Vinster

27 minutes ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

Your only choice is the old Monogram kit :) They come up second hand frequently.

Aurora did one in 1/333 and Revell did one in 1/184, in case you don't want to build an addition onto your house to store/display the Monogram Monster!

Mike

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

Your only choice is the old Monogram kit :) They come up second hand frequently.

Thank you, I saw these on eBay and was a little worried about buying from them but if it's the only place I can get it, I'll settle for it.

The 1/72 Peacemaker is a beast of a model - finding one may be easier than paying the shipping costs!  That being said, Monogram knew their craft and the kit is impressive in both size and detail, especially for its age.

Speaking as an adherent of the One True Scale myself, if you're looking to add several postwar bombers to a collection that hasn't yet started, it's easy to run out of display space for 1/72 heavies.  You might want to consider dropping down to half-size at 1/144. Hobbycraft did a very nice B-36 family, and most of the other SAC "big sticks" are available.

I too was going to recommend the Hobbycraft 1/144 B-36. It has a 486mm wingspan and 343 mm length They produced a B-36B (6 turning), B-36D (6 turning, 4 burning), GRB-36 FICON, and RB-36. Shapeways has bits for an NB-36H. Best of all, Caracal is working on a decal sheet!

I have the FICON boxing; it includes an XF-85 "Goblin" with a trolley and an RF-84K.

19 hours ago, Vinster said:

I was wondering does anyone know where I can find a B-36 or RB-36 in 1/72 scale. I'd like to get a cold war bomber collection going. Thank you if anyone can help.

I have two of them for sale, but since I am in Florida, shipping would be outrageous for such a HUGE box.

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?/topic/274275-kits-aftermarket-fs~ft-new-stuff-added-prices-lowered-2019-09-20/

Larry

The B-36 in 1/72 and 1/144 do have some problems that may be important for you. How the wing joins the fuselage on the Monogram kit is not correct and wing foil of the Hobbycraft kit is kind of upside down. 

Grant

13 hours ago, Gmat said:

The B-36 in 1/72 and 1/144 do have some problems that may be important for you. How the wing joins the fuselage on the Monogram kit is not correct and wing foil of the Hobbycraft kit is kind of upside down. 

Grant

Grant,

What is the issue with the wing attachment on the Monogram kit? I don't recall reading any mention of this in the reviews, but then you know how that goes! Not in a big hurry to build the one I have in the stash, but am curious. I already know about the bomb bay and tail turret/radar corrections. I would appreciate enlightenment!

Mike

On 28/09/2019 at 04:25, Gmat said:

Grant

Ahh, I guess it will require either some after market parts or maybe some hand made work.

23 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Grant,

What is the issue with the wing attachment on the Monogram kit? I don't recall reading any mention of this in the reviews, but then you know how that goes! Not in a big hurry to build the one I have in the stash, but am curious. I already know about the bomb bay and tail turret/radar corrections. I would appreciate enlightenment!

Mike

What's the deal with the tail turret/ radar? Sounds interesting.

On 27/09/2019 at 03:45, CT7567 said:

The 1/72 Peacemaker is a beast of a model - finding one may be easier than paying the shipping costs!  That being said, Monogram knew their craft and the kit is impressive in both size and detail, especially for its age.

Speaking as an adherent of the One True Scale myself, if you're looking to add several postwar bombers to a collection that hasn't yet started, it's easy to run out of display space for 1/72 heavies.  You might want to consider dropping down to half-size at 1/144. Hobbycraft did a very nice B-36 family, and most of the other SAC "big sticks" are available.

I will give it a think about as the size is huge but if i can make room for it i defo will do 1/72. I'd like to get 1/72 for aircraft as i like comparing the size but this mammoth may require some thought 

5 hours ago, Vinster said:

I will give it a think about as the size is huge but if i can make room for it i defo will do 1/72. I'd like to get 1/72 for aircraft as i like comparing the size but this mammoth may require some thought 

I like having a 'constant scale" collection also, but for multi-engine types space becomes an issue. When I started my collection there were a lot fewer types available in 1/144 than there are today so 1/72 was the way to go. If I had to start over today (or am ever forced to "downsize") I'd probably duplicate a couple of key types in 1/144 and 1/72 for cross-comparoson but otherwise hold any of the "heavies" to 1/144.

5 hours ago, Vinster said:

What's the deal with the tail turret/ radar? Sounds interesting.

IIRC, the B-36 had either a single radome or twin radomes for the tail turret, depending on the version, so depending upon the airplane you want to build, you will have to make a new radome/radomes. (I think the kit comes with the twin radome tail turret.)  It's been so long ago, but I recall seeing a fairly good article on corrections for the Monogram kit in an old issue of the IPMS USA Quarterly; I might have saved that issue; I will look for it and get back to you, if you are interested. See the link below for a build that does describe some of the changes that might need to be made to the 1/72 kit. Detail in Scale Vol 47 on the B-36 also has a very good modeler's review of the Monogram kit with corrections depending upon the version desired. I believe the kit is molded to represent and RB-36H but most of the antennas and sensor blisters are molded separately so a bomber or recon version can be built. Hope this helps!

Mike

https://modelingmadness.com/review/korean/kolb36.htm

72nd modeler, sorry for the delay in answering. My references are buried away, and I had a very long and busy day on Sunday. But I opened up my RM B-36 kit and realized that I had mis-remembered the problem. I thought that the break in the top fuselage where the wings joined the fuselage was too high, but that was not it. It is how the davis foil wing has been reproduced. It should be more tear drop shape. The RM kit has a flat bottom airfoil. It should be more curved. If you have access to a book that shows a side cut of the wing, you can see what I mean. I have a copy of the old Thundering Peacemaker book by Fredrick Johnsen and it shows a plan of the fuselage with the airfoil profile. 

Hope that this is helpful. 

Grant

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Jordi said:

There were three different B-36 tail radars.  The original was a single bullet shaped radome.  Then there was the twin bullets, then there was a single "wide bullet" that looked like the twin bullets in side view, but was a single wide shape in plan view.

You are right, Jordi- I had forgotten about the third type, but I think it was mentioned/illustrated in the IPMS USA article. 

Mike

On 29/09/2019 at 22:44, 72modeler said:

IIRC, the B-36 had either a single radome or twin radomes for the tail turret, depending on the version, so depending upon the airplane you want to build, you will have to make a new radome/radomes. (I think the kit comes with the twin radome tail turret.)  It's been so long ago, but I recall seeing a fairly good article on corrections for the Monogram kit in an old issue of the IPMS USA Quarterly; I might have saved that issue; I will look for it and get back to you, if you are interested. See the link below for a build that does describe some of the changes that might need to be made to the 1/72 kit. Detail in Scale Vol 47 on the B-36 also has a very good modeler's review of the Monogram kit with corrections depending upon the version desired. I believe the kit is molded to represent and RB-36H but most of the antennas and sensor blisters are molded separately so a bomber or recon version can be built. Hope this helps!

Mike

https://modelingmadness.com/review/korean/kolb36.htm

Thank you so much, I think I have found a kit, thanks to the generosity of the modelling community. I'll give it a look. Thank you for the help.

On 10/1/2019 at 12:00 AM, Nigel Bunker said:

If your wife sees you coming in through the door with a Monogram B-36 box, Peacemaker is definitely the wrong name for it.

:rofl2:

Edited by dnl42