North American FJ-4 (and 4B) Fury operators

phat trev

Anyone here know the US Carriers that had the FJ-4 and FJ-4B operating on them? Looking for some inspiration for the 1/72 Emhar jet I am currently building.

There are some good images of Wingpallet.com which keep popping up in google searches and tempted to finish it as operating from USS Bonhomme Richard  or if they flew from the USS Intrepid this would be great as I visited the museum a few years back.

I found my VA-55 FURY info here. 

http://www.seaforces.org/ It has pretty detailed cruise info on the all navies. Go to the CV/CVA section. Then look up your ships and compare info to known Fury squadrons. VA-55 flew off USS Bennington in 57-58 in case you're curious ? 

Dennis

• Like 1

16 hours ago, phat trev said:

Anyone here know the US Carriers that had the FJ-4 and FJ-4B operating on them? Looking for some inspiration for the 1/72 Emhar jet I am currently building.

There are some good images of Wingpallet.com which keep popping up in google searches and tempted to finish it as operating from USS Bonhomme Richard  or if they flew from the USS Intrepid this would be great as I visited the museum a few years back.

Remember Trevor that the assigned carrier doesn't completely follow the unit, or is it the other way around. Therefore you need to decide your unit and carrier ;) The best reference is the book by Steve Ginter - Naval Air Fighters Number 25. I hope that helps a little ... :)

Martin

All FJ-4s were used by USMC units from land bases. The only US Navy unit operating this variant was VA-126, a RAG training squadron that did not deploy on carriers (but aircraft from these units often train on carriers when required).

The FJ-4B on the other hand was used by several USN units that deployed on carriers. Regarding the two you're mo interested in, VA-192 flew FJ-4Bs from USS Bon Homme Richard between November 1958 and June 1959 as part of CVG-19: Tail code was NM and the modex numbers were in the 2xx range.

VA-192 Furies aborad Bon Homme Richard had very simple markings, with just a yellow band on the fin. This means that such a model may not be the most exciting in terms of colours but at the same time makes sorting the markings much easier

• Like 1

If you want to match aircraft types to a specific carrier, the gonavy.jp site is an excellent resource. Unfortunately you can't do a comprehensive search by aircraft type, only by carrier or air group, but between this site and seasforces.org you can pretty well nail down units, aircraft types, and ships for a given cruise.

CV-31 Bon Homme Richard:

http://www.gonavy.jp/CV-CV31f.html

CV-11 Intrepid:

http://www.gonavy.jp/CV-CV11f.html

It looks like Intrepid only operated the FJ-3, never any FJ-4/FJ-4Bs.

• Like 1

USS Intrepid spent all her life as a post-refit attack carrier with the Atlantic Fleet, whille for a number of reasons all FJ-4B equipped units served with the Pacific Fleet. For this reason no FJ-4B unit flew from Intrepid.

The carrier was moved to the CVS role in 1962, again with the Atlantic Fleet. Later she moved to the Pacific and served in Vietnam but by then all Furies had been passed in reserve (in 1962) and then retired ( around 1965).

• 4 years later...
4 hours ago, phat trev said:

Thanks for the post on this guys, just picking this FJ-4B project up after a few years 🙄

Never give up, I like your attitude. The Detail and Scale book has excellent info including what improvements can to be made to the Emhar Fury.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Robin-42 said:

Never give up, I like your attitude. The Detail and Scale book has excellent info including what improvements can to be made to the Emhar Fury.

Have been considering that, looks good. Might look for an online pdf version. 

12 minutes ago, phat trev said:

Have been considering that, looks good. Might look for an online pdf version. 

All I get are the digital versions now. They usually have more photo’s, and you can zoom in on them. I keep my iPad at the desk on a holder. The price is cheap enough that I even buy the one about types I am not particularly interested in!

https://www.detailandscale.com/detail-scale-publications

I second the current D&S, I have the full range, and consider them excellent VfM, as I think their price is most competitive for what they offer. Granted, the paper is not as good as before, but they are around 50% larger than the "Mk II" range. Only criticism I have is that the reviews tend to be a tad "wordy" in e.g. the Demon volume, where one has the impression a couple of pages had to be filled. Conversely, I think the Tomcat could easily have filled two volumes, similar for the B-24/PB4Y. A real bonus over the older series are the stores and pylon drawings by Jim Rotramel, with extremely detailed dimensions

And yes, I took the deliberate decision to continue buying paper. Spending 50+ hours per week before a screen, I have no desire of reading aircraft books there, too.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gingerbob said:

I hope you mean purchase on online version.

Totally agree, in fact if you find PDF’s report them to Bert Kenzie. He has really good lawyers!

It takes a lot of work to properly research and write these references that we are so fond of, the authors deserve our respect by paying for them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Hook said:

This.

I like physical books too, but I am in danger of being one of those library’s that enters other dimensions. I totally get the thrill of turning off a screen that you have been chained to.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Robin-42 said:

Totally agree, in fact if you find PDF’s report them to Bert Kenzie. He has really good lawyers!

It takes a lot of work to properly research and write these references that we are so fond of, the authors deserve our respect by paying for them.

I think the publisher deserves the respect of getting his name right too...? 😉