Battle of the River Plate - HMS Ajax ##FINISHED##

This update may look as though I have taken a step back when compared to the previous photos, but that is because I have removed the guns so that they don't get damaged whilst I complete the last of the work. As you can see, I have painted and added the small launches fixed the funnel in place along with its associated etch parts, and made a start on the rigging. I will complete the top rigging on the second mast before I start to add some of the ladders and deck rails. It will take some careful planning to make sure that I don't work myself into a tricky spot, but as long as I remember to work from the inside out things should be OK, and the final job will be to add the rigging between the masts.

49429421498_d5023a0dd9_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

49430119922_f3ce65e226_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

49429421203_01f012a24c_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 6

Having finished the work to add the etch deck-rails, I am on the last stretch - leaving a small amount of painting to do before I start to add the final bits, including the gun turrets that I removed previously. I managed to knock the rear mast off but that has now been reattached, in hindsight it would have been better to add those later. This is what I have done so far.

49443944533_593cc31710_b.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Looking quite good Thank you for participating in the Group build. 

Dennis

Thanks a lot Dennis. I have enjoyed taking part in this Group Build, and thanks to you and @whitestar12chris for stepping up and keeping things going.

22 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

That looks smart, the etch makes such a difference to these old kits.

Steve.

Thanks very much Steve. I have just finished adding the final details, so it is time to call this one done. It has been quite a bit of work especially adding the etch details and some of those were a too small for me to handle, but as you have said they do make quite a difference. Anyway here's a shot of the finished article.

49447023422_fe730070d3_b.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 7

Thanks for all of your comments gents. I finished quite late last night and had to take the photographs under artificial light. I took these this morning in natural light against a lighter background.

49448896133_f11c6bc953_b.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

49449602952_f0e70fd17a_b.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

49448895798_948939e060_b.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

49449371926_3b0840907b_b.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

49449371341_c3cb81866c_b.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

9 hours ago, Greg Law said:

Kiwis have a connection with this ship. My grandparents mentioned it often with a sense of pride.

They had every right to be proud Greg. A sister ship to HMS Ajax was HMNZS Achilles and along with HMS Exeter served in the same action against the Graf Spee. She also appeared as herself in the Powell and Pressburger film, but was serving with the Indian Navy as INS Delhi by that time, so I guess that there could be a strong argument for this to be retitled as 'Battle of the River Plate - HMNZS Achilles'. :winkgrin:

• Like 6

7 hours ago, CliffB said:

Congratulations John.  That's really nice.

Cheers

Thanks a lot Cliff. The last ship that I built was HMS Hood (Tamiya, I think) quite a few years ago now, but this is the first time that I have used etch details.

• Like 1