Airfix 1/72 Buccaneer - new tool

Making a start on this tonight, going to do a 12 or 208 sqn jet if I can figure out what the differences are between them and the S2C. From what I’ve read and heard the differences are minimal. I have the Eduard interior set for the old tool Buccaneer so I’ll see if it can be used with this kit. 

The Air Graphics CBLS panniers will be used instead of the kit weapons, I have a Freightdog designator pod but maybe I’ll save that for a Granby jet later. 

37376DF0-6F10-4631-A45C-3E94672E0C38

• Like 18

Wow, you're not hanging about with the new kit. The plastic must still be warm from the mold!

Unless you are doing an early RAF Bucc you will need to change the pylons (but I think you were involved in a thread about that). Also, if you are having the bomb bay open, no problem. But if it is closed it will need to be a bulged type, the kit only has the flat door type.

• Thanks 1

An early RAF S.2A is an option from the box with no modifications.  You could do XV356 circa 73:

CF1C8AE6-56D0-4EE6-8360-7AC3FB37440F

(There we go - much better with a photo right! I had issues posting from my phone. :swear:)

Edited by wadeocu
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Phone Phixer said:

Wow, you're not hanging about with the new kit. The plastic must still be warm from the mold!

Unless you are doing an early RAF Bucc you will need to change the pylons (but I think you were involved in a thread about that). Also, if you are having the bomb bay open, no problem. But if it is closed it will need to be a bulged type, the kit only has the flat door type.

Hi there 

Well I supposed that the Airfix gang are planing to do Buccaneers as same as British Phantoms only now they just started with RN samples and maybe next year we going to have RAF Buccaneers

Cheers Armando

PS I 'm just waiting mailman came with my RAF Phantom

• Like 1

Best of luck with the build! I'm tempted to buy this kit, but I know the one I really want is an RAF example with the bulged bomb bay doors so I suppose I'll have to wait (hopefully not too long).

Best Regards,

Jason

• Like 1

Looks nice. 

But for me with a ban on my buying any more new kits by 'er indoors' not missing a trick when it comes to me attempting to smuggle kits in, and the rate all these new tool Airfix  sell out, I feel I am going to miss out.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

16 hours ago, Phone Phixer said:

But if it is closed it will need to be a bulged type, the kit only has the flat door type.

Early RAF Buccaneers also had the early "flat" door, e.g. XV348 of 12 Squadron as depicted in the FROG kit or XT287 of 237 OCU.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, stever219 said:

Early RAF Buccaneers also had the early "flat" door, e.g. XV348 of 12 Squadron as depicted in the FROG kit or XT287 of 237 OCU.

The OP said he wanted to do a 12 or 208 aircraft. Those Xtradecal sheets only give 1 option for an early flat belly 12 sqn jet. The others are for S2B bulged tank versions.

Therefore my comment to have the bomb door open and a change of pylons, he can do any of the markings.

It adds interest anyway, an open bay with 4 x 1,000lb bombs. Plus wing pylons loaded. The mighty Bucc!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Phone Phixer said:

Those Xtradecal sheets only give 1 option for an early flat belly 12 sqn jet. The others are for S2B bulged tank versions.

Therefore my comment to have the bomb door open and a change of pylons, he can do any of the markings.

Unfortunately the Xtradecal sheet has a few errors.  I think XT270 was actually an S.2B once it was handed over to the RAF.  She had long chord pylons and the missing vortex generator.  This may have been one of the "interim" S.2Bs that had the hardware for Martel capability (the primary distinguishing factor between the Mark 2 sub-variants) but did not yet have the plumbing for full Martel capability.  CORRECTION:  I pulled the references which indicate that XT270 was returned to BAe for upgrade to S.2B standard in February 1975.  I believe that this is indeed then an interim S.2B which is, in fact, an S.2A because it lacked Martel capability even though it had the external modifications for it.  These changes occurred when it was transferred from RN to RAF charge.

In any event, you will have to modify the kit with the long chord pylon, the spade antenna on the spine and removing the 5th from inboard vortex generator.  Here she is in 1973 after Shiny 12 handed her over to the OCU.

Blackburn Buccaneer S2A XT270 St Mawgan 8-8-73

And a bit earlier in life while still with 12:

Blackburn Buccaneer XT270 opens fire

An interesting side note: check out the missing panel at the end of the arrestor hook.  There were some changes over the years to the recess that the hook fit into and I am not fully up to speed on the when/where/why.  What we see here on XT270 was not, however, a unique situation. 

Edited by wadeocu
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1