1/48 - McDonnell Model 120 Flying Crane by AMP - released

Homebee

Being quite a serious helicopter fanatic, I must admit I had never heard of this heli!

AMP's choice of subjects puzzles me: how do they expect this kit to sell? I would guess that only a very few fanatics like myself would buy the kit (and just one) and that would be it.

Wouldn't it make more sense to release kits of more common (helicopter-) models?🤨

Edited by GeejeeZ

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/3/2020 at 9:53 PM, Sundowner14 said:

I’d buy one just for Sierra and giggles. Call me a weirdo if you like, but my view is that it’s up to manufacturers what they want to produce. 

Pretty much my thoughts as well. However I've been quite attracted to What-Ifs recently so subjects like this are really nice. Mikro Mir and off-shoots have taken most of my recent model making budget.

AFAICS manufacturers that try something different are to be applauded, grow a customer base with odd balls and then do 'mainstream' subjects using longer run technology. 

• Like 1

On ‎15‎/‎01‎/‎2020 at 19:51, SleeperService said:

Pretty much my thoughts as well. However I've been quite attracted to What-Ifs recently so subjects like this are really nice. Mikro Mir and off-shoots have taken most of my recent model making budget.

AFAICS manufacturers that try something different are to be applauded, grow a customer base with odd balls and then do 'mainstream' subjects using longer run technology. 

I definitely hope so!  I do welcome less known modelling subjects. Being a modeller of (mainly civil) helicopter models, it frustrates me to see the more commonly used real life helicopter models being neglected by model manufacturers.  

Edited by GeejeeZ
typo
  • Like 3

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Homebee changed the title to 1/48 - McDonnell Model 120 Flying Crane by AMP - released
  • 5 months later...

I didn't know about this helo, it wasn't mentioned in my go to reference. I found it via Google and like the above, I don't see much scope in sales. At  the equivalent of  nearly fifty UK Pounds. I'll look elsewhere!

Surely this manufacturer could have found a far more popular subject?

Colin

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, heloman1 said:

Surely this manufacturer could have found a far more popular subject?

Colin

Tough crowd. I applaud manufacturers for doing these subjects: I'm more likely to buy this than yet another Spitfire/P-51/F-4/F-18 etc.

Your 'popular subject' won't be everyone's either.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Sabrejet said:

Tough crowd. I applaud manufacturers for doing these subjects: I'm more likely to buy this than yet another Spitfire/P-51/F-4/F-18 etc.

Your 'popular subject' won't be everyone's either.

I understand what you are saying but I'd have rather seen a popular subject that has not yet been kitted or an old one no longer available.

A Westland Scout/Wasp. Sikorsky S-62, S-55...

Colin

• Like 3

5 hours ago, heloman1 said:

I understand what you are saying but I'd have rather seen a popular subject that has not yet been kitted or an old one no longer available.

A Westland Scout/Wasp. Sikorsky S-62, S-55...

Colin

Fair comment Colin but they were involved with the Wasp/Scout kits coming from S&M and Mikro-Mir. They have a limit on maximum mould size and fill for large parts. I've not got this one yet but the others have etch, decals, lots of detail and IMHO are a lot more fun than many others. I recently spent more on two sets of 1/48 aircraft wheels (needed to correct silly mistakes in the kit producers research), but if you know the subject and want to model it I suppose it's all part of the experience.