1/72 - Lockheed C-130H & J Hercules by Zvezda - C-130H released - C-130J release in 2021

On 11/17/2020 at 4:19 PM, Scooby said:

Odd, I have never ever had difficulty with Belcher decals. And I use them in large numbers.

Hello Scooby!

Actually the Argonaut decals from Belcher Bits were printed by Canuck Models, not by Microscale has he usually does. That might explain de quality problems on these decals.

Does anyone has experience with Canuck Models decals (especially with the decals for the CC-130 reference CMP 72 010)?

Stay safe.

Karl

On 11/24/2020 at 2:17 AM, Karl737 said:

Hello Scooby!

Actually the Argonaut decals from Belcher Bits were printed by Canuck Models, not by Microscale has he usually does. That might explain de quality problems on these decals.

Does anyone has experience with Canuck Models decals (especially with the decals for the CC-130 reference CMP 72 010)?

Stay safe.

Karl

Hi @Karl737. Did you mean Argus decals? I have the Canuck decals for the 1/72 CC-130, I have not used them because I was originally going to have to do a lot of work, getting the Airfix kit spruced up. The Zvezda kit has changed that, although I will be going to town on my Canadian one, so it will be some time before I get to the decal stage. I will pull the Canuck decals out and test on a scrap wing with sections I won’t be using. I will report the results here, when I finish.

Take care and stay safe.

Jeff :)

Update. I have cut out and applied to the wing. No issues with cracking whatsoever. I used very warm water, immersed the decal for 10 seconds and let stand for 1 minute. The decal slid off of the backing   paper easily. I applied to a raised rivet surface, brushed on some Mr. Mark Softer and it seems to be snuggling down nicely. I will update when it has dried and set.

Update. The Canuck decals 72-010 CC-130 sheet tested. The decal has dried and cured, I brushed on some Solvaset after the Mr. Mark Softer, just to see if the decal would react adversely to the strongest of decal solutions. No problems at all. Additionally, the decals have been sealed since the day I purchased them and stored in a dark dry place. Unsealing and exposure to different temperatures and humidity would no doubt have an effect. 
Here is a photo of the test decal, I used the Canuck logo, as it has the same composition and carrier film as the rest. 
For some added fun, see if you can identify which kit the wing is from.

A689429D-0088-4A88-831A-797311340C6D

• Like 1
On 11/24/2020 at 3:17 AM, Karl737 said:

Hello Scooby!

Stay safe.

Karl

I’ve only used Canuck decals once and they were a struggle, I have their CT-133 sheet. A lot of the decals cracked or dissolved. I also had trouble positioning them. I managed to get the rare/unique decals on and the rest of my decals came from the Belcher CT-133 sheet. Which worked perfectly.

• Like 1
On 11/24/2020 at 9:11 PM, MrB17 said:

Hi @Karl737. Did you mean Argus decals? I have the Canuck decals for the 1/72 CC-130, I have not used them because I was originally going to have to do a lot of work, getting the Airfix kit spruced up. The Zvezda kit has changed that, although I will be going to town on my Canadian one, so it will be some time before I get to the decal stage. I will pull the Canuck decals out and test on a scrap wing with sections I won’t be using. I will report the results here, when I finish.

Take care and stay safe.

Update. I have cut out and applied to the wing. No issues with cracking whatsoever. I used very warm water, immersed the decal for 10 seconds and let stand for 1 minute. The decal slid off of the backing   paper easily. I applied to a raised rivet surface, brushed on some Mr. Mark Softer and it seems to be snuggling down nicely. I will update when it has dried and set.

Update. The Canuck decals 72-010 CC-130 sheet tested. The decal has dried and cured, I brushed on some Solvaset after the Mr. Mark Softer, just to see if the decal would react adversely to the strongest of decal solutions. No problems at all. Additionally, the decals have been sealed since the day I purchased them and stored in a dark dry place. Unsealing and exposure to different temperatures and humidity would no doubt have an effect. 
Here is a photo of the test decal, I used the Canuck logo, as it has the same composition and carrier film as the rest. 
For some added fun, see if you can identify which kit the wing is from.

A689429D-0088-4A88-831A-797311340C6D

I’d say that looks like the old Airfix Dakota to me! 

TT

• Like 1

The previous posts about the Canuck 1/72 CC-130 decals are for those who might have that sheet in their possession. Unfortunately, Canuck was folded up a few years ago, so they are not available any longer.

For any of you who want to do an RCAF CC-130E/H in the late full colour scheme, @26Decals has their 1/72 screen printed decals at the printer. Although it states CC-130E, you may also do the first 5 H models as well. So from 130305-130333.

http://www.26decals.com/epages/62035508.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/62035508/Products/STS7215

For any of you who want to do an RCAF CC-130 from B-J, Belcher Bits is printing the same sheet as the 1/48 set, in 1/72.

This gives you markings for everything from CC-130B-CC-130J, in original RCAF, Canadian Armed Forces, and current RCAF markings. Full colour, variegated camouflage, overall dark grey and overall light grey.

Take care and stay safe.

• Homebee changed the title to 1/72 - Lockheed C-130H & J Hercules by Zvezda - C-130H released - C-130J release in 2021

The 3D rivet sets for the Zvezda C-130H, have come up on EBay, seller is ekatsmir. Previously these were only available if you ordered a Zvezda C-130 from Arma Models (not Arma Hobby). They go fast, although last time they sold out, they were again relisted. Thanks to @Scooby for spotting these.

80E1D2F8-ABB1-4F93-A2F5-A603947EC2AF

• Like 3
On 22/11/2020 at 20:45, 71chally said:

There's nothing like good, constructive criticism.

Agreed. However, I'm still waiting to see any good, constructive criticism in that particular post.(not your post of course, the one you replied to! 😊)

I might have missed it though.

It's like these "that just doesn't look right" sort of posts.

Long on being vague  and, totally devoid of clarity and/or anything to substantiate them.

John

Edited by Beermonster1958