Jump to content

1/72 - Lockheed C-130H & J Hercules by Zvezda - C-130H released - C-130J release in 2021


Homebee

Recommended Posts

@MrB17the kit is pretty good and it is so much better than the Italeri , only the flaps are in my opinion a sort of non existent as there is no definition whatsoever as the panel lines are practically the same size as the rest..but that is my two cents.

At the moment I didn’t read anything that addresses this issue for as far it is an issue....the problem is pretty easy solved!

What I only don’t understand is that Zvezda missed this as were going for the perfect thing with a C-130 expert around🤔

 

cheers, Jan

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, janneman36 said:

@MrB17the kit is pretty good and it is so much better than the Italeri , only the flaps are in my opinion a sort of non existent as there is no definition whatsoever as the panel lines are practically the same size as the rest..but that is my two cents.

At the moment I didn’t read anything that addresses this issue for as far it is an issue....the problem is pretty easy solved!

What I only don’t understand is that Zvezda missed this as were going for the prefect thing with a C-130 expert around🤔

 

cheers, Jan

 

Indeed a magnificent kit! Compared with Italeri, the winner by a country mile, is Zvezda. With the way it is selling right now, that speaks volumes.

 I can’t go away without mentioning the original Airfix C-130K. I’m sure many of us have had the pleasure of building this kit and marvelling at its size, back when it was the bee’s knees. I have a photo (the paper kind) somewhere of my Airfix Herk that I built when I was 14, I had it displayed on the back yard walk, complete with the Bloodhound and Land Rover. I got the colours right with Humbrol glossy 7 and 9 light buff and tan, but for some reason I overpainted the white above the cockpit with fluorescent red! It was the 70’s. I have the original kit on my shelf, waiting for my next nostalgia build. I think I might just do it at the same time as the Zvezda ones, for a kick. :)

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 09/11/2020 at 01:47, janneman36 said:

It looks to me that these yellow symbols are “no step”  symbols as these doors can be opened until they are horizontally..

 

Anyway I finally found a flaw in the kit ☝️
The flaps are not accurately depicted in a sense that the inner flaps have the same cord as the outboard flaps which is not correct...

Fowler flaps
 

Fowler flaps

 

 

RH Main landing gear

zvezda’s rendition!

 

50580163763_495738b913_o.jpg

 

The one arrow pointing to the panel line that depicts the wing root fairing shows that the panel is to wide....

The three arrows pointing to the flap lines show that the flaps are all at the same level wile the inboard flap should be higher up..

Another less noticeable thing is that the flaps are concave and thought this be right but I was wrong .....
And a panel scribe is to be done very easily at least better than a brand new engine set or correcting a complete fuselage front section..

 

The Italeri one...

 

50580880846_21c833236c_o.jpg

 

At least the Italeri had this right


There is some good news about this ..

If you like a flaps down conversion you should be easily adding the Brengun/Attack squadron flaps and the mentioned misalignment is then solved as wel...

 

Just wanted to inform you all for what it is worth as this is not intended for a kitbashing as I do like the kit in it’s overall form and is certainly not moving me from the Zvezda to build a Italeri one ..


 

cheers, Jan

i dobt about a brengun flaps usability. Zvezda hawe a more thin (and no right) airfoil than a Testors. Fit in there or not inner flaps parts.....question

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Владимир Мишонин said:

i dobt about a brengun flaps usability. Zvezda hawe a more thin (and no right) airfoil than a Testors. Fit in there or not inner flaps parts.....question

You are correct about the airfoil shape, however that shape is also not correct as the flaps are flat in real life and Zvezda gave it a concave shape which makes it thinner...

I am going to try that myself first ..but it looked promising..

 

cheers, Jan

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, janneman36 said:

You are correct about the airfoil shape, however that shape is also not correct as the flaps are flat in real life and Zvezda gave it a concave shape which makes it thinner...

I am going to try that myself first ..but it looked promising..

 

cheers, Jan

i was make a few investigation about it here-> https://www.facebook.com/groups/661987334350755

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/10/2020 at 6:41 AM, Владимир Мишонин said:

i was make a few investigation about it here-> https://www.facebook.com/groups/661987334350755

Hi Владимир Мишонин, I have a question about your resin stressed skin control surfaces. They really look like the real thing! Will you be doing a set for the Zvezda C-130? Or are the current ones for Italeri C-130 adaptable? I don’t have an Italeri kit to compare. Also I don’t have Facebook, and many others are not using Facebook anymore. If the information was on Instagram, then I could see it. Thanks for your input. :)
Here are a couple of photos of the stressed skin control surfaces, for the benefit of those who haven’t seen them.

 

802D234E-C759-4071-B70B-12D74CA329BB

 

BEEC79B9-F361-4EDA-98FA-D62ECDAC801B

 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, MrB17 said:

Hi Владимир Мишонин, I have a question about your resin stressed skin control surfaces. They really look like the real thing! Will you be doing a set for the Zvezda C-130? Or are the current ones for Italeri C-130 adaptable? I don’t have an Italeri kit to compare. Also I don’t have Facebook, and many others are not using Facebook anymore. If the information was on Instagram, then I could see it. Thanks for your input. :)
Here are a couple of photos of the stressed skin control surfaces, for the benefit of those who haven’t seen them.

 

802D234E-C759-4071-B70B-12D74CA329BB

 

BEEC79B9-F361-4EDA-98FA-D62ECDAC801B

 

I was start make control surfaces set for Zvezda (new ailerons and elevators, only a rudder are fit on the both kit ) I think on december this set will be ready for sales. And we was make one more set - eightblade propellers NP2000. Will be sent soon from the foundry. Thanks!

spacer.png

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, Владимир Мишонин said:

I was start make control surfaces set for Zvezda (new ailerons and elevators, only a rudder are fit on the both kit ) I think on december this set will be ready for sales. And we was make one more set - eightblade propellers NP2000. Will be sent soon from the foundry. Thanks!

spacer.png

Thanks for the update, beautiful workmanship on the control surfaces, they look just as I remember them, and will really show up on glossy or bare metal C-130’s. I will purchase these, when they become available. :) Hopefully the 3D rivet sets will be available soon.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, MrB17 said:

Thanks for the update, beautiful workmanship on the control surfaces, they look just as I remember them, and will really show up on glossy or bare metal C-130’s. I will purchase these, when they become available. :)

Thank you wery much. Silver Age of Airplanes is my passion too ))))

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hello everyone,

In 2017 I visited the National Air Force Museum of Canada in Trenton and had the pleasure to sit in the C-130 cockpit on display.

I was wondering if C-130 RCAF tail #130313 was ever painted in finish scheme 52753B with white upper cabin and tail and aluminium lower cabin and wings together with markings "Canadian Armed Forces" on the left side and "Forces Armées Canadiennes" on the right side?

If so, does any one of you have pictures of this tail number in this particular paint scheme? I can't find any, neither on internet or books.

Thank you very much for your help.
Karl

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Karl737 said:

Hello everyone,

In 2017 I visited the National Air Force Museum of Canada in Trenton and had the pleasure to sit in the C-130 cockpit on display.

I was wondering if C-130 RCAF tail #130313 was ever painted in finish scheme 52753B with white upper cabin and tail and aluminium lower cabin and wings together with markings "Canadian Armed Forces" on the left side and "Forces Armées Canadiennes" on the right side?

If so, does any one of you have pictures of this tail number in this particular paint scheme? I can't find any, neither on internet or books.

Thank you very much for your help.
Karl

Hello Karl,

 

here it is ....http://www.c-130.net/g3/c-130-photos/North-American-C-130-Photos/Canadian-C-130-Photos/Neg-100941-copy

 

cheers, Jan

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/14/2020 at 2:03 AM, Karl737 said:

Hello everyone,

In 2017 I visited the National Air Force Museum of Canada in Trenton and had the pleasure to sit in the C-130 cockpit on display.

I was wondering if C-130 RCAF tail #130313 was ever painted in finish scheme 52753B with white upper cabin and tail and aluminium lower cabin and wings together with markings "Canadian Armed Forces" on the left side and "Forces Armées Canadiennes" on the right side?

If so, does any one of you have pictures of this tail number in this particular paint scheme? I can't find any, neither on internet or books.

Thank you very much for your help.
Karl

Hi Karl,  CC-130E 130313 would have been in the scheme you described, as would any of the others up to and including CC-130E 130328. Belcher Bits belcherbits.com will be doing the most comprehensive CC-130 decals in 1/72 eventually. If you go to the site, there are PDF files for the instructions on the 1/48 CC-130 sheet, with some very good information on all of the schemes up to current. The 1/72 sheet would be much the same as the 1/48. The photo in Jan’s link is in Royal Canadian Air Force markings. It is the same as the scheme you describe, except for the lettering, and the R was removed from under the wing. Here is a photo of CC-130 130313, in the last full colour scheme, with CANADA and the Armed Forces/Forces Armees on either side of the fuselage roundel. This is as dirty as they got, and probably due for a wash job very soon. We washed them in the hangar, this was a job performed by all trades who worked in servicing, and not one of the most illustrious jobs. Also a pic of a line of three CC-130E’s in the scheme you described, and lastly the schemes that Belcher Bits will be doing in 1/72 eventually.

5213A116-2BA3-466E-8CEB-F36ED3A1C19B BAF4D3EF-8AEE-4293-BB9F-E9DAFA00AB00 4CCBC88C-97B0-448E-A608-880AF1A4FA59

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Goedemorgen Jan,

Thank you for the pic. It's indeed the same painting scheme and airframe # I'm looking for but with the wrong markings.

 

Thank you MrB17! Very interesting stories about the plane. I think doing the 313 airframe with these "Canadian Armed Forces" / "Forces Armées Canadiennes" shoudln't be unrealistic then. I didn't think about checking Belcher Bits website, thank you for the tip. I would still be very cautious with their decals, I had a lot of problems with the North Star decals, they were extremely fragile and very difficult to handle.

 

All the best,

Karl

Edited by Karl737
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On ‎11‎/‎15‎/‎2020 at 12:56 AM, Karl737 said:

Goedemorgen Jan,

Thank you for the pic. It's indeed the same painting scheme and airframe # I'm looking for but with the wrong markings.

 

Thank you MrB17! Very interesting stories about the plane. I think doing the 313 airframe with these "Canadian Armed Forces" / "Forces Armées Canadiennes" shoudln't be unrealistic then. I didn't think about checking Belcher Bits website, thank you for the tip. I would still be very cautious with their decals, I had a lot of problems with the North Star decals, they were extremely fragile and very difficult to handle.

 

All the best,

Karl

Odd, I have never ever had difficulty with Belcher decals. And I use them in large numbers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On ‎11‎/‎9‎/‎2020 at 12:53 AM, MrB17 said:

@Scooby, I found this rather poor photograph of 327. Although it’s grainy, I believe the beaver tail is modified to what is in the Zvezda kit. Additionally, the CPI stands out really well, enough so you can see the rough outline and the small winglets sticking out. It appears to be fluorescent red also. When I was working on them, they were definitely not fluorescent, just international orange (looks more red than orange). I know that you worked with the camouflage Herk’s and the later H models, I think you mentioned fluorescent red when we were chatting about it. The beaver tail does look very much like the long one in the kit. When I left Namao, all the Herk’s were in full colour, and the beaver tail was still the old one. I never got to see a camouflaged one until Abbotsford years later, I am pretty sure it was 319, and it was overall grey. The same one that was in Cold Lake for the 2001 Maple Flag, and my favourite E. The camouflage on this one looks to be well weathered, but nonetheless, looks pretty good. More interesting than overall grey, although the really dark grey ones do look a bit sinister. :)


 

 

 

When I worked on Herc's there was still one in the white/silver scheme, maybe two. I think the last was 316 or 318. I will need to dig through my pictures to figure it out.

 

I remember the CPIs as fluorescent orange. I will definitely pull out my pictures this Friday (I have the day off). And I have my kits now! Eduard in their December bulletin released the details of all their Herc sets. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Scooby said:

 

When I worked on Herc's there was still one in the white/silver scheme, maybe two. I think the last was 316 or 318. I will need to dig through my pictures to figure it out.

 

I remember the CPIs as fluorescent orange. I will definitely pull out my pictures this Friday (I have the day off). And I have my kits now! Eduard in their December bulletin released the details of all their Herc sets. 

Thanks @Scooby, I will have to check out what Eduard is doing, as I will have my CC-130 opened up as much as possible. I am looking into getting a plotter, and one of the first things I would cut masks for, is the anti slip patches on the cargo floor. The patterns for the anti slip patches is different, depending on the time line and user, so if someone else does this, they may or may not be applicable to the Herk you choose to model.

 I can pose the ramp down, door up, para doors up, crew door down, cut out and open the flight deck escape hatch, the two windows that opened inwards. I doubt anyone will do the inside of the SPR panel, but that would be nice to have opened as well. I am ambitious with the CC-130, I am going to look into lighting up everything in red combat lighting as well as nav and the formation lights, for additional colour. Sometimes, myself and others would switch to combat lighting and play “hangar pilot” after the checks were done at night. You probably remember how cool the inside of the cargo compartment and flight deck looked with all red lights on. I need to come up with a power cart and a mule also. I don’t know if anyone does the triangular rubber chocks, but that would be a nice touch.

When I found the grainy photo of 327, I immediately noticed that the CPI was fluorescent, you can’t miss it! This must have been an update or a mod at some point after my stint on the Herk’s, I would certainly have remembered fluorescent, I think the photo of 328 that I posted earlier, shows that the CPI was red, but not fluorescent in my days spent working on them. Also the beaver tail on 327 in the photo, looks to be updated like the one in the kit.

 I am still waiting on my Herk’s, I should have the two from Russia in a matter of days, the one I ordered from the local hobby shop, might be here by Christmas, if I am lucky.  I will probably build the RAF and USAF ones together, as they will both be buttoned up. In any case, I am about two weeks away from having my hobby room operational for the first time in over three years!

What do you think of the stressed skin control surfaces that “Bring It!” is doing? I am not sure if they would stand out on a camouflage patterned Herk, but they would definitely be noticeable on bare metal surfaced, or glossy finished Herk’s. I am going to experiment with techniques for replicating stressed skin, because the wing skin above the flap areas, also have this feature, which stands out on bare metal surfaces.

Take care and stay safe. :)

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

One thing I can never understand is what is happening here, and to a lesser extent the second picture, why the different colour panels?  It kinda looks like reskinning, but the replacement skins surely wouldn't have paint on them?

50618741286_6c59b3ed93_h.jpg

ZH874 : Lockheed Martin C-130J-30 Hercules C.4 at Lyneham. by Richard E Flagg, on Flickr

@Richard Flagg Flickr

 

20980151168_1a139ff468_h.jpg

Hercules C.5 ZH882 1 Sep 15 by James Thomas, on Flickr

 

I know these are Js but I've seen it on Ks aswel and there obviously people here with great Herc experience that may know?

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, 71chally said:

One thing I can never understand is what is happening here, and to a lesser extent the second picture, why the different colour panels?  It kinda looks like reskinning, but the replacement skins surely wouldn't have paint on them?

50618741286_6c59b3ed93_h.jpg

ZH874 : Lockheed Martin C-130J-30 Hercules C.4 at Lyneham. by Richard E Flagg, on Flickr

@Richard Flagg Flickr

 

20980151168_1a139ff468_h.jpg

Hercules C.5 ZH882 1 Sep 15 by James Thomas, on Flickr

 

I know these are Js but I've seen it on Ks aswel and there obviously people here with great Herc experience that may know?

The different coloured panels are actually a rubberised coating on the panels. Its along the whole belly too. Protection from stones etc when strip landing.

The patch on the side mid fuselage is to protect from anything kicked up from the propellers. There is a different smaller sized patch on the left hand side of the fuselage as due to the direction the props rotate there is less chance of damage.

The aircraft Js were all delivered in grey. Then they applied the green rubber coating and eventually they were all painted green.

Extra stone protection also gets fitted to the aerials on the underside too which consists of foam, lashing tape and bodge tape. 

Hope this helps. 

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

...ah brilliant, thank you Milli, I knew of the underside protection but hadn't realised it extended up the sides.  Great explanation about the colour difference aswel.👍

It's very precisely applied, especially the fwd fuselage sides.

 

 

 

 

 

Edited by 71chally
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/18/2020 at 8:41 PM, Grizzly said:

Eduards new Hercules parts including troop seats & cargo area floor in January. 

Here's the full Eduard list from Hannants Future Releases if you want to see what's planned... Link

 

I really like the look of that cargo floor, particularly as it looks like its in steel... how good will that look when its down (OK I know its not really right for an RAF aircraft but if you don't say anything I won't...  🤫)

 

Rich

 

spacer.png

Edited by RichG
Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, RichG said:

Here's the full Eduard list from Hannants Future Releases if you want to see what's planned... Link

 

I really like the look of that cargo floor, particularly as it looks like its in steel... how good will that look when its down (OK I know its not really right for an RAF aircraft but if you don't say anything I won't...  🤫)

 

Rich

 

spacer.png

Microdesign was released PE for zvezda Herky toospacer.png

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Homebee changed the title to 1/72 - Lockheed C-130H & J Hercules by Zvezda - C-130H released - C-130J release in 2021

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...