1/72 - Lockheed (A)C-130H & J Hercules by Zvezda - released

Homebee

I should have known to look there, I couldn’t remember where the floor came from, I initially thought it dropped down but I then thought it must have slid out. I did remember there was a floor that blocked the exit while using the galley.

Bingo!!! Whoa that brings back memories, and looking up you see the sextant mount! Now I remember two of us (students) shooting stars at the same time (in the NT) and have been trying to think of where the second mount was; IIRC it was in the overhead hatch?!

Thanks guys.

On 1/8/2021 at 4:01 PM, Flyboy72nd said:

Scotchbrite pads?????????????????????????????????? WOW

Thanks for the info!

My wind shield story is from my Aurora days, and we were on approach to Goose for an airshow when the co-pilots front window started to bubble!!! There were 4 or 5 of us working all the circuit breaker panels in or near the 'pit looking anything marked window heat!!??!! We made the landing and called back to Greenwood who had no answers and organized another bird for us and a crew to fly our injured bird back lo level!! It looked like a lava lamp that someone had madly shaken up!!

Cheers

Similar thing happened to us going into Little Rock one day in January. We waited for a spare to arrive from Lyneham. When the STC (Special to Type Container) arrived and was opened, it was empty. So we waited another 3-4 days for another.....same thing happened again.....another empty. Then some bright spark 'realised' that Little Rock was a C-130 base and that we could borrow a spare window from the USAF and get on our way to Nellis and Las Vegas. a seven day trip turned into a 18 day epic !.       

• Like 2

On 1/13/2021 at 2:42 PM, Tiger331 said:

Similar thing happened to us going into Little Rock one day in January. We waited for a spare to arrive from Lyneham. When the STC (Special to Type Container) arrived and was opened, it was empty. So we waited another 3-4 days for another.....same thing happened again.....another empty. Then some bright spark 'realised' that Little Rock was a C-130 base and that we could borrow a spare window from the USAF and get on our way to Nellis and Las Vegas. a seven day trip turned into a 18 day epic !.       

We broke down in Hickam and needed a prop. No way we were asking the USAF for a prop despite being on a Herc base. We waited for the replacement from Canada. It took us a week to change the prop. Stayed at the Hale Kao Waikiki for a week. 😀

We broke down in the Arctic soon after, we changed that prop in two hours.

We used empty STC containers with seals to get booze through customs. 🙃

Edited by Scooby
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

On 07/01/2021 at 04:42, MrB17 said:

Of course I only worked on the E’s and the five early H’s, so I am not sure if everything was the same on later H versions and the J’s. @Scooby would know.

All landing gear emergency components and procedures remain the same for E, H & J. Flight deck and galley for the J are completely different, of course, but the bunk remains the same as E/H/K.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

And soon a very limited edition - ref. ? - Lockheed C-130H/HE Hercules RoCAF
Sources: 

https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=501216617509647&set=gm.2800560463493159

https://www.facebook.com/groups/MilitaryModelingSRG/permalink/2816992451849960/

144953917-501216620842980-47554384674212

Parts for the C-130HE

153516623-514643866166922-33854674329514
153757459-514643842833591-27602969411895
small image

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Scooby and any other CC-130 buffs; Regarding the CPI located on top of the CC-130E/H beaver tail, I still can’t find a good close up of it installed, but this photo shows what the underside looks like, and the colour prior to being refinished in fluorescent orange. The little winglets that were fastened to the top rear on each side, are not present in the photo. I will try to make a drawing. The close up of it I have here is too pixelated, but you get the general idea. The company that makes the CPI’s does make them for other aircraft including some US and other manufacturers, but I have only seen them on CC-130E’s and early H’s, as far as Herk’s are concerned.

A067A480-794F-468C-8E26-E7D545B8634F

5611CB25-0272-4D0A-AE83-3DAA36FCD191

95242B82-A781-49B3-B1C8-30492E159A5D

Thanks to @LN-KEH for allowing me to post this last photo from his personal photo collection. It is a RNoAF C-130, the details are typical of this style of beaver tail. The Canadian Forces installed a CPI (Crash Position Indicator) in the access panel shown here. I am trying to produce a scale drawing of the CPI for the CC-130 for fellow Canadian Herk modellers. The CPI was still present on the CC-130E and early H’s even after the beaver tail mod, like the one provided in the Zvezda Herk. Probably around the time that the CC-130’s transitioned to camouflage, the CPI’s were then coloured fluorescent red, instead of the original international orange. 

Take care and stay safe 

Best regards 

Jeff :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Jobbie said:

Australian H model CPI aerofoils and their housings in the “duck’s bottom” were painted white. 

Any photos?

That’s the first time I have heard that tail extension called a “duck’s bottom”. We called it the “beaver tail”, maybe because it’s Canada’s national animal, and I have heard the shorter extension referred to as the “platypus”. There were a lot of nicknames for the various parts of the Herk, and depending upon the user, some different from others. 
Thanks for the tip, I will be searching for a close up photo of the Australian one.

Meanwhile here is a photo showing from the top, an IAF C-130H, RAAF C-130H, RCAF CC-130E, USAF ANG C-130E.

As you pointed out, the RAAF Herk features a white CPI, while the RCAF Herk features a fluorescent red CPI.

83220F92-8D15-4758-B2D2-FFDCDBE804A9

Take care and stay safe 

Regards

• Like 5

On 2/13/2021 at 7:34 AM, Jobbie said:

Australian H model CPI aerofoils and their housings in the “duck’s bottom” were painted white. 

Actually makes sense since RAAF Hercs (and NZ) were overhauled and maintained in Canada. Probably adopted our modifications. We had a Lockheed approved facility in my hometown of Edmonton and overhauled Hercs from all over the world and carried out major inspections.

White wouldn’t work in Canada, it would blend in with the snow. I found a CPI for a Herc that crashed in the Arctic. It was hard to even find it in the orange color.

I think I even have pictures of an RAAF Herc on jacks in the hanger all stripped down.

NZ Hercs had the same paint scheme as Canada for good reason, they adopted it from us.

Edited by Scooby
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, oggy4u said:

I wonder if Zvesda will be doing a stretch 30 version of C-130J ? 

On 11/27/2020 at 3:33 PM, Homebee said:

As follow up to its C-130H kit, Zvezda is to release in 2021 a 1/72nd Lockheed C-130J-30 kit - ref. 7324

Source: https://vk.com/doc6108131_578170851?hash=b62de4a6f84263e904

7324-C-130-J-30.png

V.P.

On 2/14/2021 at 2:54 AM, 71chally said:

Cracking shot, and all great schemes!

Wish I could take credit, but I found this on Wikipedia, while searching for RAAF Herk’s that might show the white CPI. This photo had the added bonus of one of our CC-130E’s right beside it, with our fluorescent red CPI for comparison. The other two were the cherries on top.
Certainly, it’s a fine look at 4 different variegated camouflage schemes.

Cheers,

6 minutes ago, Violet Club said:

I hope to see these two conversion kits for the C-130 in the future :

The most crazy modification, the Credible Sport c-130 :

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Credible-Sport-Prototype.jpg

And the C-130 used for Satellite recovery :

spacer.png

Despite how awesome it would be, I don't think that you will ever see a commercial conversion to the YMC-130H Credible Sport. The sheer breadth that the conversion would have to encompass would make the costs so great, I don't think there would be enough market to support it.

I'm partway done with a conversion in 1/144, and the work has been significant. I haven't even gotten to any small details, just the major parts. I spent even more time poring over every second of available video and image that can be found to draw up scale plans to inform the conversion, and that took much more time than I've spent on the plastic itself.

Sometimes I tell myself I'll conquer it in 1/72 as well, but I really don't know if I want to put myself up to that.

Cheers,

Hoops

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Владимир Мишонин said:

For the YMC it is necessary to make a new wing, with a new two slots flaps and more wide chord ailerons. And these rocket brakes are very noticeable, but not the most expensive part for scratching.

And the horsal fins in front of the horizontal stabilizer, the extended vertical stabilizer, the UARSI refueling receptacle on the top of the fuselage, the DC-130 style thimble nose, all the various external structural reinforcements, etc. etc. etc.

Although if displaying the flaps retracted, it would probably be enough to heavily scribe the appropriate lines on the underside of the wing, then add all the hinges and reinforcing strips. Displaying them extended would be another story, however.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Spectre 130 said:

Has anyone been able to get hold of the Arma Models No. AM7290 AC-130 conversion kit (which was only offered only as a pre-order in Russia) in the UK?

Very doubtful. I have been in direct contact with one of the Russian vendors that sold this kit - I got the distinct impression that Arma seriously underestimated the demand for this conversion kit and I very much doubt any got exported to overseas vendors. He had promised to advise me when it was next in stock but that was over 2 months ago. We may have to wait for another enterprising manufacturer to produce it or maybe Zvedza will oblige us with another re-release of their kit with the necessary parts to produce the AC-130 ?.  

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Tiger331 said:

Very doubtful. I have been in direct contact with one of the Russian vendors that sold this kit - I got the distinct impression that Arma seriously underestimated the demand for this conversion kit and I very much doubt any got exported to overseas vendors. He had promised to advise me when it was next in stock but that was over 2 months ago. We may have to wait for another enterprising manufacturer to produce it or maybe Zvedza will oblige us with another re-release of their kit with the necessary parts to produce the AC-130 ?.  

Thank you for the info Tiger331. Thought this would be the case as it’s been impossible to track down.

Well I’ve got plenty to be getting on with while I wait!

7 minutes ago, Thomas V. said:

The kit is designed to be released as a Gunship, AC-130U/H most probably, maybe AC-130A( I wish), so patience...

I'm wanting an E/H late Vietnam war era gunship so happy to wait for a new kit.

I've got an old airfix AC-130 to play around with in the meantime, that'll keep me busy 🤣!