1/72 - Lockheed (A)C-130H & J Hercules by Zvezda - released

Homebee

On 11/24/2020 at 3:17 AM, Karl737 said:

Hello Scooby!

Actually the Argonaut decals from Belcher Bits were printed by Canuck Models, not by Microscale has he usually does. That might explain de quality problems on these decals.

Does anyone has experience with Canuck Models decals (especially with the decals for the CC-130 reference CMP 72 010)?

Stay safe.

Karl

I’ve only used Canuck decals once and they were a struggle, I have their CT-133 sheet. A lot of the decals cracked or dissolved. I also had trouble positioning them. I managed to get the rare/unique decals on and the rest of my decals came from the Belcher CT-133 sheet. Which worked perfectly.

• Like 1

On 11/24/2020 at 9:11 PM, MrB17 said:

Hi @Karl737. Did you mean Argus decals? I have the Canuck decals for the 1/72 CC-130, I have not used them because I was originally going to have to do a lot of work, getting the Airfix kit spruced up. The Zvezda kit has changed that, although I will be going to town on my Canadian one, so it will be some time before I get to the decal stage. I will pull the Canuck decals out and test on a scrap wing with sections I won’t be using. I will report the results here, when I finish.

Take care and stay safe.

Jeff :)

Update. I have cut out and applied to the wing. No issues with cracking whatsoever. I used very warm water, immersed the decal for 10 seconds and let stand for 1 minute. The decal slid off of the backing   paper easily. I applied to a raised rivet surface, brushed on some Mr. Mark Softer and it seems to be snuggling down nicely. I will update when it has dried and set.

Update. The Canuck decals 72-010 CC-130 sheet tested. The decal has dried and cured, I brushed on some Solvaset after the Mr. Mark Softer, just to see if the decal would react adversely to the strongest of decal solutions. No problems at all. Additionally, the decals have been sealed since the day I purchased them and stored in a dark dry place. Unsealing and exposure to different temperatures and humidity would no doubt have an effect. 
Here is a photo of the test decal, I used the Canuck logo, as it has the same composition and carrier film as the rest. 
For some added fun, see if you can identify which kit the wing is from.

A689429D-0088-4A88-831A-797311340C6D

I’d say that looks like the old Airfix Dakota to me! 

TT

• Like 1

The previous posts about the Canuck 1/72 CC-130 decals are for those who might have that sheet in their possession. Unfortunately, Canuck was folded up a few years ago, so they are not available any longer.

For any of you who want to do an RCAF CC-130E/H in the late full colour scheme, @26Decals has their 1/72 screen printed decals at the printer. Although it states CC-130E, you may also do the first 5 H models as well. So from 130305-130333.

http://www.26decals.com/epages/62035508.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/62035508/Products/STS7215

For any of you who want to do an RCAF CC-130 from B-J, Belcher Bits is printing the same sheet as the 1/48 set, in 1/72.

This gives you markings for everything from CC-130B-CC-130J, in original RCAF, Canadian Armed Forces, and current RCAF markings. Full colour, variegated camouflage, overall dark grey and overall light grey.

Take care and stay safe.

• Homebee changed the title to 1/72 - Lockheed C-130H & J Hercules by Zvezda - C-130H released - C-130J release in 2021

The 3D rivet sets for the Zvezda C-130H, have come up on EBay, seller is ekatsmir. Previously these were only available if you ordered a Zvezda C-130 from Arma Models (not Arma Hobby). They go fast, although last time they sold out, they were again relisted. Thanks to @Scooby for spotting these.

80E1D2F8-ABB1-4F93-A2F5-A603947EC2AF

• Like 4

On 11/24/2020 at 10:11 PM, MrB17 said:

Hi @Karl737. Did you mean Argus decals? I have the Canuck decals for the 1/72 CC-130, I have not used them because I was originally going to have to do a lot of work, getting the Airfix kit spruced up. The Zvezda kit has changed that, although I will be going to town on my Canadian one, so it will be some time before I get to the decal stage. I will pull the Canuck decals out and test on a scrap wing with sections I won’t be using. I will report the results here, when I finish.

Take care and stay safe.

Update. I have cut out and applied to the wing. No issues with cracking whatsoever. I used very warm water, immersed the decal for 10 seconds and let stand for 1 minute. The decal slid off of the backing   paper easily. I applied to a raised rivet surface, brushed on some Mr. Mark Softer and it seems to be snuggling down nicely. I will update when it has dried and set.

Update. The Canuck decals 72-010 CC-130 sheet tested. The decal has dried and cured, I brushed on some Solvaset after the Mr. Mark Softer, just to see if the decal would react adversely to the strongest of decal solutions. No problems at all. Additionally, the decals have been sealed since the day I purchased them and stored in a dark dry place. Unsealing and exposure to different temperatures and humidity would no doubt have an effect. 
Here is a photo of the test decal, I used the Canuck logo, as it has the same composition and carrier film as the rest. 
For some added fun, see if you can identify which kit the wing is from.

A689429D-0088-4A88-831A-797311340C6D

Hello Mr B17,

Thank you for your post. I'll probably used them in that case 🙂

Karl

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, we do. They will be available for sale towards the end of January.

Mike Belcher, Belcher Bits

PS Also coming are RCN markings for AS3 / TBM in 1/72. The new Sword kits look pretty good, and the decals included don't look too bad either. However, this set will allow you to depict the earlier all blue TBMs in RCN service as well.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I take it as Zvezda have given us the C-130H, and are to release the C-130J-30 (RAF Hercules C.4) that we can mix and match the kits to create a stretched C-130K Hercules C.3 and a short C-130J Hercules C.5?  Or is it more complicated than that?

1 hour ago, 71chally said:

I take it as Zvezda have given us the C-130H, and are to release the C-130J-30 (RAF Hercules C.4) that we can mix and match the kits to create a stretched C-130K Hercules C.3 and a short C-130J Hercules C.5?  Or is it more complicated than that?

Assuming the extended fuselage in the -30 kit includes the same optional features as the standard fuselage (choice of sponson front ends, optional panels for the air conditioning unit and the fuselage escape hatch: then from a simplistic perspective - yes. It probably is more complicated that that - for a start, the C.3 will still have to source the correct fuselage tail-fairing, same as the C.1 does (unless Zvezda decide to add that with the new release), some of the communications / RWR fairings / antennae that were fitted during service may not be included and it wouldn't surprise me if some of the panel lines have moved over the years on the extended fuselage, but from a basic configuration perspective, the two boxes between them should contain enough parts to cross-kit the two variants. Assuming the C-130J boxing is going to include the appropriate in-flight refuelling probe, but the RAF don't always fit that anyway.

Jonathan.

• Thanks 1

On 12/18/2020 at 10:27 AM, belcherbits said:

Yes, we do. They will be available for sale towards the end of January.

Mike Belcher, Belcher Bits

PS Also coming are RCN markings for AS3 / TBM in 1/72. The new Sword kits look pretty good, and the decals included don't look too bad either. However, this set will allow you to depict the earlier all blue TBMs in RCN service as well.

Great to hear it from you Mike, I didn’t want to say anything until you announced it!!

I’ll get you the FDR information if you are still looking for it.

Gary

• Like 1

I have to say, I’m a little over halfway through building this bird, and it’s proving to be rather enjoyable!  The interior detail is very nice. It looks good even before sealing up the fuselage. Once sealed up, I’m not sure you’re going to be able to see much difference between AM stuff and the kit. Fit has been rather good so far. I’m putting in the Attack Squadron flaps set, and even that hasn’t been bad. 

The engine nacelles are just about up, so that will get tedious for a little while. My only complaint is they want you to put 25 grams of weight in the nose cone. Using Liquid Gravity, I could only get to 19 grams. I’ll have to look elsewhere to add weight up front. 

• Like 3

Here's a trick I have used before; make a plastic box from plastic sheet and glue somewhere ahead of the main gear. Did this with a Tornado; glued the box to the back of the cockpit section worked like a charm. I used plastic sheet from a vac u form kit (check google for the younger crowd) and made the box drilled a hole for the lead then puttied over the hole before adding to a/c. HTH

I have been working slowly on my kit the only major work so far is modding the beaver tail to E style for my CAF Herc NT!!

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Flyboy72nd said:

Here's a trick I have used before; make a plastic box from plastic sheet and glue somewhere ahead of the main gear. Did this with a Tornado; glued the box to the back of the cockpit section worked like a charm. I used plastic sheet from a vac u form kit (check google for the younger crowd) and made the box drilled a hole for the lead then puttied over the hole before adding to a/c. HTH

I have been working slowly on my kit the only major work so far is modding the beaver tail to E style for my CAF Herc NT!!

Ya, I'll be adding some more weight in the nose gear well.  They don't have a forward bulkhead and there will be room.  But I'll weight until the last minute for this one so I can see better how much weight I really need to add. 

1 hour ago, ESzczesniak said:

Ya, I'll be adding some more weight in the nose gear well.  They don't have a forward bulkhead and there will be room.  But I'll weight until the last minute for this one so I can see better how much weight I really need to add. 

For nose weight I use steel shot and then flood it with super glue.

20 hours ago, Scooby said:

For nose weight I use steel shot and then flood it with super glue.

I think that's all Liquid Gravity is.  I got a bottle after I learned about it years ago and so far one bottle has lasted me this whole time.  I'll likely replace it with steel shot when it runs out.  It's not terribly expensive, but I presume shot will be cheaper still.

23 hours ago, ESzczesniak said:

I think that's all Liquid Gravity is.  I got a bottle after I learned about it years ago and so far one bottle has lasted me this whole time.  I'll likely replace it with steel shot when it runs out.  It's not terribly expensive, but I presume shot will be cheaper still.

Cool, wasn’t familiar with the product. 

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone tell me what the aerial fit was on an RAF Crud n Custard Herc from around 1968? The Zvezda kit is missing several prominent aerials for this version and I want to ensure I add them all. I think the Eduard exterior set for the Italeri kit is probably pretty good for this but I don't know for sure.

Have a question for our 2 Canadian Herc guys; where was the galley? I vaguely remember left side rear of flight deck?? Didn't get to see it much as we were busy at the Nav Training Stations!? We (CAF) had a folding floor for the galley, eh?

We also had 2 bunks, no? And there was a small window in the back wall of the nose gear bay, or am I dreaming?

This is a great kit and I'm hoping to see lots of CF Hercs when we get back to having contests!!

Thanks

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Flyboy72nd said:

Have a question for our 2 Canadian Herc guys; where was the galley? I vaguely remember left side rear of flight deck?? Didn't get to see it much as we were busy at the Nav Training Stations!? We (CAF) had a folding floor for the galley, eh?

We also had 2 bunks, no? And there was a small window in the back wall of the nose gear bay, or am I dreaming?

This is a great kit and I'm hoping to see lots of CF Hercs when we get back to having contests!!

Thanks

Yes, the galley was immediately to your left when you entered via the crew door. Can’t remember a folding floor, but that was over forty years ago. The steps up to the flight deck were easily removed to get under the flight deck, very tight in there. I once spent the better part of a day under there, looking for a 1/4” nut that fell through during a windshield change. We (two personnel job) had to replace the three main windshields, after a rookie decided to use scotch brite pads to clean the bugs off! I got the inside and it was messy, with PRC sealant having to be applied by the finger method. The boxed lunches were also kept cool in the galley, mmmmm......boxed lunches. Yes, an upper and lower bunk, the bottom had seat belts for extra personnel, and the top had a section that flipped up and over, to gain access to the escape hatch. We (airframe tech’s) had to get up on top as part of our checks. The window was to visually check for gear down and locked for emergency gear extensions, there were also four small access windows for each of the main gear oleos for the same reason. I remember cranking the main gear down on test flights, if the FE needed your help. Normally, if you gave the crank a swift jerk, the jack screws would just spin down in free fall without having to crank them all the way. Sometimes they would not spin down with gravity and then you had to crank them all the way down! I can’t remember the number of turns exactly, but I think it was around 275. On one test flight, the FE said that he would do the lowering by himself, and I remember him scowling when the starboard gear would not free fall, and he had to crank all the way. Of course I only worked on the E’s and the five early H’s, so I am not sure if everything was the same on later H versions and the J’s. @Scooby would know.

The decals from @26Decals are very nice, I have the RAF ones, and probably will get the RCAF ones, the side profile shows 316 and that is the one I am going to do, I have one of the “horn buttons” from 316. @belcherbits is doing a comprehensive decal set that encompasses all of the Herk’s from the first RCAF CC-130B’s right up to current H’s and J’s.

17FF508C-2D8A-44A9-B2F7-C5AD86871EAE

Take care and stay safe 

Best regards,

Scotchbrite pads?????????????????????????????????? WOW

Thanks for the info!

My wind shield story is from my Aurora days, and we were on approach to Goose for an airshow when the co-pilots front window started to bubble!!! There were 4 or 5 of us working all the circuit breaker panels in or near the 'pit looking anything marked window heat!!??!! We made the landing and called back to Greenwood who had no answers and organized another bird for us and a crew to fly our injured bird back lo level!! It looked like a lava lamp that someone had madly shaken up!!

Cheers

• Like 1

On 1/6/2021 at 6:08 AM, Flyboy72nd said:

Thanks

As Jeff said, the galley was to the left as you entered. I think there was a slide out floor for the galley, I forget now too.

We had two bunks, the top of the upper bunk folded at one end so you could get through the hatch. we had to climb through the hatch to check the lights on the top of the aircraft.

I slept many midnight shifts in a bunk. I think all Hercs had two bunks, the kit only has one.

Edited by Scooby
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Scooby said:

As Jeff said, the galley was to the left as you entered. I think there was a slide out floor for the galley, I forget now too.

We had two bunks, the top of the upper bunk folded at one end so you could get through the hatch. we had to climb through the hatch to check the lights on the top of the aircraft.

I slept many midnight shifts in a bunk. I think all Hercs had two bunks, the kit only has one.

Hi Scooby and Flyboy, I just couldn’t visualize that galley floor section, so I went to the National Museum of the USAF, where they have some very useful 360 degree virtual tours of many aircraft. The C-130, is an E model, and there I found the floor in question. It all came back to me again, when I saw this. The floor is hinged against the side of the fuselage and drops down level with the flight deck. I marked it with an arrow. I am going to have 316 all opened up, so you might get a peak of the upper bunk through the open crew door or through the open hatch, otherwise you will never see it. I also seem to remember all of the maps on the left side of the flight deck, long before GPS came around.

That bubbling windscreen in flight sounds like a twilight zone episode! Murphy’s law seems to find its way everywhere.

I have decided to wait for the Zvezda J-30 for my third Herk, I was going to get a third H from the local H.S. but $130 CDN before tax is not my idea of a competitive price, in fact it is the highest price I have yet seen, anywhere! I plan on cross kitting the J with an H, so I can do an H-30, I then have a requirement for Belcher Bits upcoming 1/72 Herk sheet. :) @Scooby @Flyboy72nd

5AFA6811-1971-4355-B708-80E503D53321

This is the link to the flight deck overview http://www.nmusafvirtualtour.com/cockpits/GR_tour/GR-6.html There is also pilot, copilot, and two cargo areas. I thought I saw a link here before, but I couldn’t find it. The screen shot is looking aft from behind the FE seat, the distortion from the wide angle is self evident, however when you look around, everything starts to make sense.

Take care and stay safe 

Best regards 

• Like 1