1/72 - Lockheed (A)C-130H & J Hercules by Zvezda - released

Homebee

3 hours ago, 71chally said:

My kit arrived today, and what a beauty! At £34 amazing value for the quality of molding and size, and the five decal options.

I'm still slightly confused about the tail fairing thing though, to my eyes one option (the elongated one) looks right for RAF C-130Ks? Is there a detail I'm missing?

Hi @71chally, in looking at the longer extension (parts H47 & H48), it looks an easier modification than I previously thought. Basically the modern one, is like the older ones on E/H/K’s with the rear corners clipped off at a 45 degree angle. The length appears to be the same, so just adding some plastic stock or Milliput and sanding to shape, would do the job. There are 2 lights close together at the centre of the end of the kit parts, and they should stay there, as they are in the same position on the older beaver tail. The shorter rounded one (H50& H51) is not used on earlier K’s as the instructions indicate, this is the one most often seen on US Herk’s and some later K’s, J’s. Although I think the more modern short ones have more than one light and some appear to have sensors as well. Basically, try to find a photo of the rear of the Herk you are modelling and proceed accordingly. Attached are the instructions for the parts in question, and a good clear photo of the older Beaver Tail. I think that the short rounded one was referred to as the Platypus, that was over 40 years ago, so I might be wrowrowrong. :)
BTW, the Italeri C-130E/H has the correct beaver tail for the E, K C.1 and early H’s, just for reference. It is molded on to the fuselage, however, if you’re binning it... ;)

Added a rear view of the Beaver tail, although this is a USAF A model, it is the same as the K C.1, E/H.

52A5AC1C-F233-42CC-9FBA-D6835C4441DE 0DFCC0D8-0FBC-43F2-839C-D50ABDA20C0A

377BCC3B-ABE3-49DC-AB80-6A1DA3727135

Edited by MrB17
Additional information
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Stumbled across this USAF photo from Volant Rodeo June 1983, at Pope AFB NC. The RCAF CC-130E 130319, sports a Beaver tail with CPI in red, and RNZAF C-130 serial unknown shows the shorter Platypus. The CC-130E shows what I believe is the final variation of the full colour scheme. The upper wing roundels have been downsized to 72” and moved inward and aft, to allow for traction on the anti slip paint, the large area of light grey covers the area of the previous larger 84” roundel. The lighter grey stripes, vary from plane to plane. The RNZAF Herk has the life raft hatches painted white. Whether I worked on line crew or snags, I loved 319, she was my favourite E model bar none. If you rotate the photo 90 degrees counter clockwise, you will see why we called the radome a Darth Vader helmet. :)

B72E158B-043A-4857-9908-E0B14AA416BC

• Like 5

17 hours ago, MrB17 said:

While browsing the web for any new information about the Zvezda C-130, I came across a raised rivets set for the Zvezda C-130. The raised rivets are part of the charm of the C-130. While they may not be so noticeable on camouflaged ones, they do stand out on bare metal, light colours, glossy finishes and heavily weathered C-130’s. Arma Models Russia is doing these rivet sets, unfortunately they will only sell them with the purchase of the Zvezda C-130 kit, of which I have already purchased 2. Do I need a 3rd? Anyway here’s a link if you want to have a look.

https://arma-models.ru/catalog/dekali/am7293_dekal_obemnaya_dlya_imitatsii_zaklepki_s_130/

Yeah, you need another. Is there an English tab for this website. I’m buying another now.

I had two kits on pre-order at Hannants, I noticed the pre-order wasn’t moving and inventory was down to two, so I emailed Hannants. I received an email saying my pre-order was being filled soon after and inventory dropped to 0. I wonder if I saved my order from being delayed.

I know this production run is going to sell out. Tamiya and Hasegawa missed the boat on this one. I always thought a 1/72 Herc was a no brainer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scooby said:

Yeah, you need another. Is there an English tab for this website. I’m buying another now.

I had two kits on pre-order at Hannants, I noticed the pre-order wasn’t moving and inventory was down to two, so I emailed Hannants. I received an email saying my pre-order was being filled soon after and inventory dropped to 0. I wonder if I saved my order from being delayed.

I know this production run is going to sell out. Tamiya and Hasegawa missed the boat on this one. I always thought a 1/72 Herc was a no brainer.

I have one on order at the local hobby shop and 2 on the way from Moscow. I tried to order from Arma Models Ru, but I didn’t have any indication that they ship worldwide. I wanted to get my hands on the “volumetric” rivet sheet as they only sell it with the purchase of the Zvezda kit. I am sure it will be turning up somewhere fairly soon, available on its own. I am trying to figure out what scheme to use on my third Herk. The RAAF Herk at Maple Flag 2001 looks pretty good, hmmm...

13 hours ago, MrB17 said:

I have one on order at the local hobby shop and 2 on the way from Moscow. I tried to order from Arma Models Ru, but I didn’t have any indication that they ship worldwide. I wanted to get my hands on the “volumetric” rivet sheet as they only sell it with the purchase of the Zvezda kit. I am sure it will be turning up somewhere fairly soon, available on its own. I am trying to figure out what scheme to use on my third Herk. The RAAF Herk at Maple Flag 2001 looks pretty good, hmmm...

I tried to order, had trouble with the phone number entry, it appears to accept my region (Canada) for courier delivery though. I used google translate one line at a time.

I gave up and sent them an email completely in Russian, I’ll let you know what I hear back. You gotta love google translate. First ever email totally in Russian! I asked if I could just buy the rivets or if there was an English site I can order from.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Scooby said:

I heard back from Arma-Hobby, the Hercules set is only a pre-order at the moment.

Was that Arma Hobby, or Arma Models?
BTW, I am only days away from returning to my remodelled hobby room, which has been a pile of stuff from my wife’s parents estate. I am ecstatic that I found my Lockheed C-130 “horn button”, thought I had lost it. From the Pilot’s yoke on 316, there was a mod to install a holder for the small clipboard, and the horn buttons were a hot commodity. I had the Co-Pilot’s also, gut gave it to a good buddy before I left in Dec. 80. Wish it was from 319 or 333, but hey. :)

• Like 1

Arma Models.

I wasn’t smart enough to keep anything from my Herc days except for some QEC nuts and bolts. I actually used some to put the plate on my Mini this summer. The yoke button would have been a big score.

I have “D” class items from the Huey (stand-by compass), Kiowa (stand-by compass), and Hornet (Hook shoe).

• Like 1

Spotted a little variation on the crud ‘n’ custard scheme recently. Below is XV299, sporting a cruddy radome if you will. I saw another Herk, XV219 with the same. I have @26Decals sheet for one of my Zvezda Herk’s, and I am thinking about this.

Anyone have info on what seems to be a rare and short lived radome colour. I can only imagine what kind of nicknames these may have had. BTW, Ray, if you are looking, a set of black lettering and numerals to go with your Herk decals, would allow you to do any of the C-130K’s in the Dark Green - Dark Sea Grey/Light Aircraft Grey or the DG - DSG wraparound. Might be timely with the Zvezda Herk selling like hot cakes. ;)

11802F88-3118-4306-95B4-F5656E4C0120

• Like 1

Great shot, there was some variations with the scheme, they do look good in the tactical roundels, matt finish and the white removed from the cockpit roof.

Can't say I've noticed the brown radome before, looks like the paint shop forgot where to finish!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 71chally said:

Great shot, there was some variations with the scheme, they do look good in the tactical roundels, matt finish and the white removed from the cockpit roof.

Can't say I've noticed the brown radome before, looks like the paint shop forgot where to finish!

Yes, my preference for the “Crud ‘n’ Custard” scheme are the later matt finish without the white top. Some people like the earlier glossy finish with the red white and blue roundels. Radome paint can’t have lead or zinc or titanium in it for obvious reasons, which makes me wonder if these brown nosed Herk’s were a short lived mistake or someone in charge just didn’t like them. Interesting at any rate. Here is the other one, XV219. I am curious about the yellow symbols on the main gear doors also.

C50D4D69-4D13-4C64-B579-3D0774717002

• Like 4

2 hours ago, MrB17 said:

Yes, my preference for the “Crud ‘n’ Custard” scheme are the later matt finish without the white top. Some people like the earlier glossy finish with the red white and blue roundels. Radome paint can’t have lead or zinc or titanium in it for obvious reasons, which makes me wonder if these brown nosed Herk’s were a short lived mistake or someone in charge just didn’t like them. Interesting at any rate. Here is the other one, XV219. I am curious about the yellow symbols on the main gear doors also.

U 

It looks to me that these yellow symbols are “no step”  symbols as these doors can be opened until they are horizontally..

Anyway I finally found a flaw in the kit ☝️
The flaps are not accurately depicted in a sense that the inner flaps have the same cord as the outboard flaps which is not correct...

Fowler flaps

Fowler flaps

RH Main landing gear

zvezda’s rendition!

50580163763_495738b913_o.jpg

The one arrow pointing to the panel line that depicts the wing root fairing shows that the panel is to wide....

The three arrows pointing to the flap lines show that the flaps are all at the same level wile the inboard flap should be higher up..

Another less noticeable thing is that the flaps are concave and thought this be right but I was wrong .....
And a panel scribe is to be done very easily at least better than a brand new engine set or correcting a complete fuselage front section..

The Italeri one...

50580880846_21c833236c_o.jpg

At least the Italeri had this right

There is some good news about this ..

If you like a flaps down conversion you should be easily adding the Brengun/Attack squadron flaps and the mentioned misalignment is then solved as wel...

Just wanted to inform you all for what it is worth as this is not intended for a kitbashing as I do like the kit in it’s overall form and is certainly not moving me from the Zvezda to build a Italeri one ..

cheers, Jan

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MrB17 said:

I am curious about the yellow symbols on the main gear doors also.

As mentioned above, they are 'No Step' markings. Basically a big yellow foot symbol with a red 'x' over it.

Mark.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Harry Lime said:

As mentioned above, they are 'No Step' markings. Basically a big yellow foot symbol with a red 'x' over it.

Mark.

Thanks Harry, I thought they might be, I just haven’t seen them that big. I used to be an airframe tech on CC-130’s and I can’t imagine even trying to get up on them when the door is up for inspection or maintenance. But then there’s Murphy’s law. :)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, janneman36 said:

It looks to me that these yellow symbols are “no step”  symbols as these doors can be opened until they are horizontally..

The flaps are not accurately depicted in a sense that the inner flaps have the same cord as the outboard flaps which is not correct...

Fowler flaps

Fowler flaps

RH Main landing gear

zvezda’s rendition!

The one arrow pointing to the panel line that depicts the wing root fairing shows that the panel is to wide....

The three arrows pointing to the flap lines show that the flaps are all at the same level wile the inboard flap should be higher up..

Another less noticeable thing is that the flaps are concave and thought this be right but I was wrong .....
And a panel scribe is to be done very easily at least better than a brand new engine set or correcting a complete fuselage front section..

The Italeri one...

If you like a flaps down conversion you should be easily adding the Brengun/Attack squadron flaps and the mentioned misalignment is then solved as wel...

Just wanted to inform you all for what it is worth as this is not intended for a kitbashing as I do like the kit in it’s overall form and is certainly not moving me from the Zvezda to build a Italeri one ..

cheers, Jan

Thanks @janneman36, I have one set of the Attack resin flaps, however I have 3 kits on the way, so I will have to do a bit of rescribing. The flaps were normally retracted on the ground when the Herk was parked, however I used to extend them to do a daily inspection. A bit of a pain, you had to radio tower to let them know that you were starting the GTC, to get hydraulic power to the flaps. I once found a 12” crack in one of the ribs! 
The main gear doors had 2 round access panels to release the pin on the linkage and then you had to reinsert it in a different position to prop the door up. I wouldn’t have even attempted to try and get up on them! But the NATO symbols were there for a reason. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

@Scooby, I found this rather poor photograph of 327. Although it’s grainy, I believe the beaver tail is modified to what is in the Zvezda kit. Additionally, the CPI stands out really well, enough so you can see the rough outline and the small winglets sticking out. It appears to be fluorescent red also. When I was working on them, they were definitely not fluorescent, just international orange (looks more red than orange). I know that you worked with the camouflage Herk’s and the later H models, I think you mentioned fluorescent red when we were chatting about it. The beaver tail does look very much like the long one in the kit. When I left Namao, all the Herk’s were in full colour, and the beaver tail was still the old one. I never got to see a camouflaged one until Abbotsford years later, I am pretty sure it was 319, and it was overall grey. The same one that was in Cold Lake for the 2001 Maple Flag, and my favourite E. The camouflage on this one looks to be well weathered, but nonetheless, looks pretty good. More interesting than overall grey, although the really dark grey ones do look a bit sinister. :)

02C1B23A-7A7D-4937-A497-05CB6F1C02A9

• Like 2

@Scooby, I found another shot of 327, probably taken at the same time. Here you can see the little winglets just peeking out of the beaver tail. It looks like it’s rigged for SAR also. And what in the world have they stuck in the UN plaque holder on the fin?

05145860-9F10-4AB8-A9B4-53C2D7E9B80A

That first shot is nice, the topside camo makes it look like it's had a replacement wing!

Mine will be built as RAF examples, purely because they are the ones that I have some attachment to, but there are some fantastic schemes on Hercs, including the CAF ones above, and the JASDF one include with the kit.  US Navy and Marines 3 shades scheme is also very nice, this civil scheme is a corker aswel,

50581194907_30856f7ff0_h.jpg

Lockheed C-130A Hercules N121TG Oil Spill Response by James Thomas, on Flickr

One could build these kits for the rest of ones life and not run out of colour schemes!

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 2

On 11/8/2020 at 12:47 PM, janneman36 said:

Fowler flaps

Fowler flaps

RH Main landing gear

zvezda’s rendition!

The Italeri one...

cheers, Jan

I have been looking at the incorrect flap panel lines you pointed out to us @janneman36. And thanks for doing that. I believe that there was a simple mistake in the placement. I have used your image, as there isn’t as clear an image elsewhere yet. If you fill the lines pointed out in green, (I forgot to point out the 2 fore and aft lines need to be filled in the moved forward section) rescribe the pink in the areas depicted it should be more accurate. The yellow points out the same dimensions, but just moved forward. I hope this is clear enough, I don’t have my computer or vector program, so it is a bit rough, but I thought that this might help.

864F67D1-15C0-41E2-B07E-7D8CFDC4B27C

12 minutes ago, MrB17 said:

I have been looking at the incorrect flap panel lines you pointed out to us @janneman36. And thanks for doing that. I believe that there was a simple mistake in the placement. I have used your image, as there isn’t as clear an image elsewhere yet. If you fill the lines pointed out in green, (I forgot to point out the 2 fore and aft lines need to be filled in the moved forward section) rescribe the pink in the areas depicted it should be more accurate. The yellow points out the same dimensions, but just moved forward. I hope this is clear enough, I don’t have my computer or vector program, so it is a bit rough, but I thought that this might help.

No worries, I had the same problem haha and you finished my job 😉 

The wing root fairin depicted on the wing is also incorrect as it shouldn’t be a straight line to the front of the wing..

This can be seen in the pictures I posted earlier..

Cheers, Jan

21 minutes ago, janneman36 said:

No worries, I had the same problem haha and you finished my job 😉 

The wing root fairin depicted on the wing is also incorrect as it shouldn’t be a straight line to the front of the wing..

This can be seen in the pictures I posted earlier..

Cheers, Jan

Good eye, Jan. It looks like the inner flap should be set in a bit further than the fairing line. Not too difficult if you are not using the resin flaps from Attack/Brengun. I am going to have to check the fit of the flap set, when one of my Zvezda Herk’s arrives. Looks like a section of the kit wing root fairing will have to be removed for the flap set. I am doing one in full colour RCAF markings, Flaps extended and everything open, that’s what I worked on over 40 years ago. I have 3 kits coming so I will do CC-130E 130316 as it appeared at the 1979 International Air Tattoo at Greenham Common. I jazzed up the tow bar with red stripes and a Canadian flag for the event. Also C-130K C Mk.1 XV219 in the Dark Earth and Midstone over Black with the Dark Earth radome. I bought the 26 Decals sheet for that one, I just love the later matt rendering with the tactical roundels. The photo is from Wikimedia. Lastly, C-130E in SEA camouflage circa 1979. The photo was taken at CFB Namao, during a LAPES practice. I hope I don’t find too many faults with the kit, when I get it. 

6AC3E8AA-A2D4-4413-9A25-69AC677B677A

FA832581-EFBD-4AE1-BF9B-1BB1806969C4 8F8B4DD7-1F6F-462C-A547-B2490BEBF4F0

• Like 1

@MrB17the kit is pretty good and it is so much better than the Italeri , only the flaps are in my opinion a sort of non existent as there is no definition whatsoever as the panel lines are practically the same size as the rest..but that is my two cents.

At the moment I didn’t read anything that addresses this issue for as far it is an issue....the problem is pretty easy solved!

What I only don’t understand is that Zvezda missed this as were going for the perfect thing with a C-130 expert around🤔

cheers, Jan

• Like 1

1 hour ago, janneman36 said:

@MrB17the kit is pretty good and it is so much better than the Italeri , only the flaps are in my opinion a sort of non existent as there is no definition whatsoever as the panel lines are practically the same size as the rest..but that is my two cents.

At the moment I didn’t read anything that addresses this issue for as far it is an issue....the problem is pretty easy solved!

What I only don’t understand is that Zvezda missed this as were going for the prefect thing with a C-130 expert around🤔

cheers, Jan

Indeed a magnificent kit! Compared with Italeri, the winner by a country mile, is Zvezda. With the way it is selling right now, that speaks volumes.

I can’t go away without mentioning the original Airfix C-130K. I’m sure many of us have had the pleasure of building this kit and marvelling at its size, back when it was the bee’s knees. I have a photo (the paper kind) somewhere of my Airfix Herk that I built when I was 14, I had it displayed on the back yard walk, complete with the Bloodhound and Land Rover. I got the colours right with Humbrol glossy 7 and 9 light buff and tan, but for some reason I overpainted the white above the cockpit with fluorescent red! It was the 70’s. I have the original kit on my shelf, waiting for my next nostalgia build. I think I might just do it at the same time as the Zvezda ones, for a kick. :)

• Like 4