1/72 - Lockheed (A)C-130H & J Hercules by Zvezda - released

Homebee

15 minutes ago, wallyinoz said:

I hope it is wrong.. they wont sell many at that price I imagine

Shocking if it isn’t. I do feel the model industry has really missed the mark on this though, this is a long overdue product for such a beloved aircraft.

I also noticed on the Zvezda Facebook page the activity on this release in responses is tenfold any other release, so they know there will be high demand.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Scooby said:

Shocking if it isn’t. I do feel the model industry has really missed the mark on this though, this is a long overdue product for such a beloved aircraft.

I also noticed on the Zvezda Facebook page the activity on this release in responses is tenfold any other release, so they know there will be high demand.

Agreed. Demand will be high but, I wonder how much of the demand will melt away like snow in the sun if this price turns out to be correct.

I won't be buying any. That's for sure. Incidentally, the full rrp is indicated as £159.

Allan

2 hours ago, Mountain goat said:

135 GBP/ 154 EUR - Surely an error..? You can buy four nicely detailed and equally large Revell C-160s for that price...

Jay

That's only the Web price. The full rrp is shown as £159

Allan

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, Albeback52 said:

I won't be buying any. That's for sure. Incidentally, the full rrp is indicated as £159.

Even at a discounted price that would be too rich for me too by at least 50%... However looking at the pricing of the Zvezda range this price point seems totally anomalous; and interesting that no other retailers have a price listed as yet.

Disappointed if true.

Rich

Edited by RichG

4 hours ago, wallyinoz said:

Scalemates are quoting a price of 135 GBP,  that curbs any enthusiasm I may have had

https://wheelspinmodels.co.uk - who are they? Never dealt with them, never heard about them, all of a sudden they know the price that Zvezda has not announced to any of their major distributors.  This "EUROPE'S LARGEST MODEL AND HOBBY SUPERSTORE", as they claim on their front page, has 146 positions in "Aviation in 1/72" - slightly more, than my stash.

I can't take this price tag seriously.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jb65rams said:

@Mountain goat Apologies for going off topic, I was just wondering how you actually fix the model to the wall?

Hi JB - alas it's not my bedroom - I just found the pic on internet so all credit goes to that person (couldn't find a name sorry). I have also seen Flory Models' walls similarly adorned on Youtube by the way. But yes, I do plan to store larger models vertically by simply using wall hooks under the tailpanes (the weight those parts will have to carry means some form of reinforcement is necessary). 

Jay

• Thanks 1

Zvezda's 1/144 scale 747-8i, which measures approximately 20" long, sells for about $36 USD. Italeri's C-130 in 1/72 scale currently goes for about $54 USD. I have to wonder if the quoted figure for the Zvezda C-130 has a "1" inserted by mistake, making the actual market price approximately 54 EUR. I say this because Zvezda kits, from my experience, are generally anything but expensive. 

• Like 1

I am actually surprised at how well the Italeri C-130 moulds hold up very little flashes and excellent moulding quality but the detailing is average and accuracy misses the fuselage chin and many other things. It is, by todays standards (remember the spectacular Revell Transall was tooled in 2006), crude but this is of course just my personal opinion. We can assume Zvezda's rendition will address these issues and logically warrant an extra over Italeri's pricing.

I was expecting Zvezda's kit to cost around GBP70 but the mentioned RRP is quite... ridiculous. If it really had to be priced that high, I would probably buy one because I love the Hercules but I cannot see them recoup the investment with such high prices and modelers on a budget, no matter how detailed and accurate it is. I just hope it comes with extended flaps and props in feathered and unfeathered position, cargo bay not too important to me.

Anyway the latest CAD files published here comfort me in the sense that they have mostly A+ design teams. I cannot wait to lay my hands on this new kit.

Cheers !

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, 71chally said:

C'mon guys, that's obviously a mistake or bad translation.  

I sure hope so, but I still remember the situation with Roden's 1:144 C-5B Galaxy when it was about to be released : the RRP was very high, like over GBP 100 for a kit that had a few molding imperfections (the 5 boxes in my hobby shop show the same imperfections) and no cargo bay.

I really hope it is a mistake.

Cheers !

• Like 1

Zvezda don't price like that, have a look in their catalogue in established retailers, they are known for good quality at a very good price.

Their chunky PE-8 is less than £30.

This price has come from a source that looks unknown to me, whereby all reputable retailers have announced price as TBA, ie nobody knows the actual price yet.

I'm going to stick my neck out predict that this kit will not be more than £50, if I'm wrong may I be sentenced to building Mach2 kits for the rest of my life!

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

1 minute ago, 71chally said:

I be sentenced to building Mach2 kits for the rest of my life!

Careful.  What did Goering say about the prospect of Berlin being bombed?  "You can call me Meier..." or something like that.

• Haha 6

7 hours ago, wallyinoz said:

Scalemates are quoting a price of 135 GBP,  that curbs any enthusiasm I may have had

Firstly, Scalemates isn't infallible, and secondly they aren't quoting that price. A UK based retailer (admittedly, not one I've ever heard of!) advertising on Scalemates is quoting that price. Until Zvezda give us a price, I wouldn't be taking that one retailer's suggested price as Gospel in any way. For anyone wishing to have a look at Scalemates, click here.

Mark.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Fictorque said:

If I would buy the current C-130H boxing and would like to make early Hercules C.1 in RAF, what should I change except decals?

See page 4 and 5 of this thread.

Jay

• Thanks 1

> If I would buy the current C-130H boxing and would like to make early Hercules C.1 in RAF, what should I change except decals?

If Zvezda include all the options that were shown in the CAD renderings in the boxing it may be a case of making a selection rather than a change, but compared to the box art:

- Fit the earlier sponsons (with ones where the starboard sponson has a NACA style intake in the side rather than an intake in the front)

- Fit the NACA style air conditioning intake on the starboard side of the fuselage behind the cockpit rather than the later external mounted air con unit.

- Leave off the flare dispenser fairings under the cockpit

- Leave off the flat cylindrical fairing on top of the fuselage – probably best to check your references and see what fairing / aerial fit was used, especially on the top and underside of the fuselage, and discard / add as required.

- Check to see if your subject had an astrodome fitted, and add as required.

- Leave off the dispensers on either side of the trailing edges of the wing tank pylons.

- The C-130Ks were delivered with the same engine spec as the C-130H, so the engine nacelles should be correct.

- Revert the radar warning receiver configuration on the beavertail at the back of the fuselage to have no receivers and the correct shape (it’s difficult to tell from the box art what shape it is).

- Replace the radar warning receivers in front of the cockpit with the original window panels.

And assuming you do want a C.1 rather than a C.1P, you won’t need to find an IFR probe (Airwaves sold them in white metal, or they were included as an option in the ESCI kit (I think they were present in all the ESCI boxings)).

Jonathan.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Stilwell said:

flat cylindrical fairing on top of the fuselage

That's Station Keeping Equipment (or SKE), that we in the U.S. used on the cargo-carrying Hercs for formation flying.  It has a PPI scope atop the instrument panel coaming, and presents little blips that represent the relative locations of other SKE-equipped aircraft.  We did not have these on non-cargo C-130s, like ABCCC or Compass Call.

Edited by TheyJammedKenny!
plan position indicator (PPI)
  • Like 3

About that pricing , that is a little preliminary and I do believe in a lower price than the one quoted on scalemates...

Why they came up with that price !! Well on one of my searches on the www I came across a website that offered the zvezda at a preorder price as quoted on scalemates!!

Some trie to make money at an early stage as well....

cheers, Jan

• Like 2

I did a message to my contact in Models2U in UK and he told me that the distributor in UK did not set a price yet. The distributor default all un-priced products to GBP100 so maybe that retailer applied the usual trade to RRP ratio based on this number.

8 hours ago, janneman36 said:

Why they came up with that price !! Well on one of my searches on the www I came across a website that offered the zvezda at a preorder price as quoted on scalemates!!

Some trie to make money at an early stage as well....

There are those who would call cashing in on high fantasy prices: a scam, plain and simple. 

Jay

• Like 1