1/72 - Lockheed (A)C-130H & J Hercules by Zvezda - released

Homebee

On 12/10/2019 at 3:38 AM, Albeback52 said:

I don't personally think the choice of version will make much difference. Herc fans will surely buy it anyway?With so many variants to choose from, I would not be surprised if this was the merely the first in a range of C-130 kits. Patience my friend!😊

I would actually like the original A version with the "roman" nose or, one of the stretched variants!

Too many times to mention however, may I respectfully suggest that one substitutes "latest" or "current" for "lesser"?

I know it's arguing over semantics but, I think that versions like the MC-130 Combat Talon  and, RC-130 might be more appropriately be deemed "lesser"?😉😊( no less important though but,maybe Just not so well known?)

Just me of course but, I think it only natural that the current production version be chosen for the first kit!

Allan

The J isn’t flown by 69 different nations. The earlier E & H models were.

The stretch J isn’t flown by many nations. Not many color options either.

I served on E & H models. Lots of decal and color options. Also civil options for another nine operators.

Herc fans have asked for a long time for a new tool Hercules and the pulse of the community has been asking for a E & H.

Huge error tooling a J model.

5 hours ago, Scooby said:

Huge error tooling a J model.

Fair enough. I guess we will have to agree to differ. The manufacturer will not have chosen this version without good reason so, I guess time will tell who was right.

C-130 fans  now have a long overdue, brand new kit to look forward to.

If they choose not to buy because of the choice of version, that's their prerogative and I will not presume to debate otherwise

I would suggest a lot of modellers won't be that bothered and will buy it anyway simply because its a new Herc

Allan

Edited by Albeback52
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

Apart from the engines and the single, rather than two cheek windows, what other mods need to be done to mod a J into the equivalent E, H or K model?

Trevor

Aerial fit. Different position of refuel probe between K and J. Shape of para door windows. 

The K had a GTC instead of an apu so different sponson on the undercarriage. 

External tanks. 

Various defensive aids bits and pieces differ between K and J. And the air con units on the RHS. 

Nothing major really other than engines and props. 

Cant think of much more off the top of my head.

Adam

• Thanks 1

The E and K (and some early Hs) had shorter main under carriage sponsons forward of the main wheel well. In 1/72 scale that equates it about 5mm shorter sponson length.

The E - H also have 4 small square windows just in front of and below the instrument panel, on the J 2 of theses are blocked out.

20 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

Apart from the engines and the single, rather than two cheek windows, what other mods need to be done to mod a J into the equivalent E, H or K model?

Trevor

Wouldn’t be too hard had they not decided to tool the stretch version.

I was hoping if they tooled a J they wouldn’t tool a stretch, there are aftermarket resin engines that I am certain would fit with modifications to backdate to an H. An E would be a little more work.

On 12/13/2019 at 3:22 AM, Albeback52 said:

Fair enough. I guess we will have to agree to differ. The manufacturer will not have chosen this version without good reason so, I guess time will tell who was right.

C-130 fans  now have a long overdue, brand new kit to look forward to.

If they choose not to buy because of the choice of version, that's their prerogative and I will not presume to debate otherwise

I would suggest a lot of modellers won't be that bothered and will buy it anyway simply because its a new Herc

Allan

Those of us who worked the Herc put a lot of blood, sweat, and tears into her. She is still my first love despite finishing my career on CF-18s.

I’ve been on J models although I never crewed them. No attachment to them for me. I earned my keep on E &H models. Recently my son flew in the cockpit of an H model that I did the acceptance check from Lockheed, Georgia in 1990. I’d love to model that serial number. She was my girl.

When I said I was disappointed a J  model was being tooled I should re-phrase that, I was heartbroken.

An E or H offers modelers a lot of color and nationality options, a J offers us gray, gray, and gray.

• Like 4

A quick look at Zvezda's past release strategy (see Su-27 and MiG-29) suggests they prefer to start with newer versions, and only after a short while other more representative versions. I don't believe they will have made the investment for such big subject and kit only to be a one trick pony. Other versions are very probably worked on as we speak.

Jay

Edited by Mountain goat
Typo

3 hours ago, Scooby said:

Wouldn’t be too hard had they not decided to tool the stretch version.

I was hoping if they tooled a J they wouldn’t tool a stretch, there are aftermarket resin engines that I am certain would fit with modifications to backdate to an H. An E would be a little more work.

The dimension with one of the images suggests a normal length aircraft, the image supplied is incorrect for the supplied length of 38.5cm, as per one of my previous posts the stretched fuselage should be closer to 48cm.

18 hours ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

The dimension with one of the images suggests a normal length aircraft, the image supplied is incorrect for the supplied length of 38.5cm, as per one of my previous posts the stretched fuselage should be closer to 48cm.

Those dimensions are close to a standard length Herc, the image definitely represents a stretch. If it is a standard length kit I can totally convert that.

I’ll be happy with a stretch J, or an A, H, E etc, as long as it’s reasonably accurate and well engineered.

Even if it’s a ), a little bit of whiffed will turn it from plain old gray into a nice bright and shiny red and yellow water bomber or something similar, so I’m not worried about suffering from the dreaded J gray syndrome

• Like 2

On 12/16/2019 at 9:00 AM, Mountain goat said:

A quick look at Zvezda's past release strategy (see Su-27 and MiG-29) suggests they prefer to start with newer versions, and only after a short while other more representative versions. I don't believe they will have made the investment for such big subject and kit only to be a one trick pony. Other versions are very probably worked on as we speak.

Jay

Agree,

Zvedza kits are one of the most prolific brands available in my (current) local hobby store and, as my co-respondent states, it does not normally take them long to reproduce other variants. The C-130H/K is my preferred choice too, having spent thousands of hours operating them but I am happy with the -J too and, if push comes to shove, can convert if necessary.  

• Like 2

On 12/17/2019 at 4:47 AM, Smokeyr67 said:

I’ll be happy with a stretch J, or an A, H, E etc, as long as it’s reasonably accurate and well engineered.

Even if it’s a ), a little bit of whiffed will turn it from plain old gray into a nice bright and shiny red and yellow water bomber or something similar, so I’m not worried about suffering from the dreaded J gray syndrome

. Lots of potential! Particularly the old RAF sand/stone /black finish. I have another idea for a J in a 4 tone green /green/tan/black splinter camouflage finish.

However, price will be the determining factor. I don't think the DWP regard inability to afford models as necessarily a priority! 😉😂

Allan

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Albeback52 said:

. Lots of potential! Particularly the old RAF sand/stone /black finish. I have another idea for a J in a 4 tone green /green/tan/black splinter camouflage finish.

If you want to be really different, there’s the unique W.2 or even the delivery scheme of overall natural metal.

Trevor

• Like 1

Just had contact with Zvezda and they confirmed : "we will release the  C-130 H Unfortunately no Dutch decals planned - but we have not yet made final decision."

Does not say if it will be long H-30 but that is commercial not so interesting  So i put my money on a short one

But i will keep on pushing for Dutch markings!!,  After all we operate both long and short versions 🙂

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Branky said:

Just had contact with Zvezda and they confirmed : "we will release the  C-130 H

So that's kind of official then. The H will appear, probably in due course and probably after the J. I hope their H will have the short sponsons though. The longer ones were only introduced after 1974 so that limits modellers' choice a bit.

Jay

On 12/19/2019 at 7:32 AM, Max Headroom said:

If you want to be really different, there’s the unique W.2 or even the delivery scheme of overall natural metal.

Trevor

I had intended to build a 1/72 A-400 as a W2 but, a  130J will do just as well

Allan

Edited by Albeback52
  • Like 1

On 12/20/2019 at 2:21 AM, Branky said:

Just had contact with Zvezda and they confirmed : "we will release the  C-130 H Unfortunately no Dutch decals planned - but we have not yet made final decision."

Does not say if it will be long H-30 but that is commercial not so interesting  So i put my money on a short one

But i will keep on pushing for Dutch markings!!,  After all we operate both long and short versions 🙂

Awesome news, this is my Holy Grail!

I’ll be buying several to start!

• Like 1