1/72 - Lockheed (A)C-130H & J Hercules by Zvezda - released

Homebee

14 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

Surely their obvious option is to go for an H-model, thus covering a wealth of markings opportunities as well as a plethora of variant possibilities? I understand the allegiance to the K-model but it wouldn't make commercial sense, given the limited potential it would present. Don't get me wrong, I am a Herc lover, but I think for the greater good the more popular machine has to take priority.

Martin

I think it is fair to say that any C-130H kit can be made into an early C. Mk.1 without too much difficulty. A C-130K does not have to be a separate kit, though the IFR probe and wingtip ECM pods would be a pleasant addition to the parts total. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, GreenDragon said:

The Wild Geese is a great movie, it's in my must watch Christmas movie list! Had to google IAR, some nice Hercs.

Paul Harrison

Yep sure is - Roland White's Project Cancelled (sadly he hasnt done much lately)  - yes him off of Vulcan 607 - has a Boland Air Cargo T Shirt for sale! :)

http://projectcancelled.com/designs/

IAR  C-130 of course is from The Dark Knight Rises (2012) - aka Batman - where they dismembered a Jetstream in a really cool scene.... G-UIST the cockpit section has been restored by its owner and used to be at Morayvia...but is now back home with him I think. 

For more Batman C-130 fun you need Maximus Air Cargo markings for the 'Fulton' recovery scene in The Dark Knight (2008)

Christopher Nolan loves his Herks!

TT

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TEXANTOMCAT said:

Yep sure is - Roland White's Project Cancelled (sadly he hasnt done much lately)  - yes him off of Vulcan 607 - has a Boland Air Cargo T Shirt for sale! :)

http://projectcancelled.com/designs/

IAR  C-130 of course is from The Dark Knight Rises (2012) - aka Batman - where they dismembered a Jetstream in a really cool scene.... G-UIST the cockpit section has been restored by its owner and used to be at Morayvia...but is now back home with him I think. 

For more Batman C-130 fun you need Maximus Air Cargo markings for the 'Fulton' recovery scene in The Dark Knight (2008)

Christopher Nolan loves his Herks!

TT

Check your aircraft recognition. You may find it was a Bandeirante rather than a Jetstream. 

• Like 1

Sad the Jetstream was cut up, used to see it regularly at Edinburgh. The Bandeirante used for the flying sequence was ZS-NVB of Batair Charter which crashed sadly killing it's crew in Botswana a few years after it's movie appearance. The interior shots were in G-UIST, much more circular cross section than an EMB 110 and the actors were standing upright which you can't do in a bandeirante unless you're very short!

Paul Harrison

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Since we’re veering wildly off-topic, where  have all the Bandeirantes gone? They seemed to be absolutely everywhere in the 80’s.

Veering wildly back on topic, assuming Zvezda do a vanilla unstretched H, what external differences are we looking for to do a B, E and K?

Trevor

• Like 2

4 hours ago, TEXANTOMCAT said:

OK to be specific the flying aircraft was a Bandeirante - the fuselage and cockpit they dismembered and used for filming  was a Jetstream G-UIST

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-18114689

:)

Pity they couldn’t have cut up a Piper Puddlejumper or Cessna Spamcan, but I suppose none of them have the internal volume of the Jetstream that would have enabled filming.

Edited by stever219
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, Admiral Puff said:

As an aside vaguely related to the theme of the thread - does anyone do a kit of the Bandit? In any scale? Another type in which I have more than a few pax hours ...

I have an Argentinian produced resin kit in 1/72, I have had for years. The resin is very brittle and no instructions  or deals were included in the kit.

I recall Liberty released one in 1/72 in 2017.

3 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

Since we’re veering wildly off-topic, where  have all the Bandeirantes gone? They seemed to be absolutely everywhere in the 80’s.

Veering wildly back on topic, assuming Zvezda do a vanilla unstretched H, what external differences are we looking for to do a B, E and K?

Trevor

Still out there, you can skydive from them in some countries, used for cargo in the danger areas and still in use in the poorer countries... a superb aircaft. Hoping to get a jump from one in the next two years. 

Anyway, this C-130...... :D

On 11/12/2019 at 9:10 PM, TEXANTOMCAT said:

Someone produce some Boland Air Cargo decals please 🦆   (you’ll either get that or you won’t :) )

TT

I second that emotion as long as I am allowed to have Joan Armourplating playing in the background

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, Geoff_B said:

Is that length correct for a C-130J let alone a C-130J-30 ?

Considering if you check the Italeri website of dimension details, their C-130 kits range from 39.5 - 41.3cm which represent the standard length models of the C-130.

Yes so 38.5cm is short for both the J and definitely short for the J-30.

Published length for the C-130J is 29.3m which equates to 40.7cm in 72nd scale and the J-30 is 34.6m which is 48cm.

36 minutes ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

Considering if you check the Italeri website of dimension details, their C-130 kits range from 39.5 - 41.3cm which represent the standard length models of the C-130.

Published length for the C-130J is 29.3m which equates to 40.7cm in 72nd scale and the J-30 is 34.6m which is 48cm.

O my goodness🥴 allready a mistake found!! Stick to my airfixes then..

cheers, Jan

15 hours ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

Could be a Typo or translation error and we will have to wait and see what news actually appears on about this kit as it develops as the person designing the catalogue probably wasn't given a great deal of info about the kit at this time.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Homebee said:

Source: https://vk.com/doc-29859496_526077927

- ref. 7321 - Lockheed C-130 Hercules

In the picture a C-130J from 86th Airlift Wing /37th Airlift Squadron - Ramstein AB

To be followed

C130.jpg

V.P.

oh dear ........

4 hours ago, Scooby said:

Not what I wanted, and E or H would have been a better seller.

They could be making multiple versions and companies never make the most popular version the first release, they release the lesser versions so you will buy that in your excitement then go back and buy a 2nd kit when the actual version you want comes out a year or two later - how many times have we all been stung with that marketing ploy  .

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Scooby said:

Not what I wanted, and E or H would have been a better seller.

I don't personally think the choice of version will make much difference. Herc fans will surely buy it anyway?With so many variants to choose from, I would not be surprised if this was the merely the first in a range of C-130 kits. Patience my friend!😊

I would actually like the original A version with the "roman" nose or, one of the stretched variants!

5 hours ago, gavingav said:

They could be making multiple versions and companies never make the most popular version the first release, they release the lesser versions so you will buy that in your excitement then go back and buy a 2nd kit when the actual version you want comes out a year or two later - how many times have we all been stung with that marketing ploy  .

Too many times to mention however, may I respectfully suggest that one substitutes "latest" or "current" for "lesser"?

I know it's arguing over semantics but, I think that versions like the MC-130 Combat Talon  and, RC-130 might be more appropriately be deemed "lesser"?😉😊( no less important though but,maybe Just not so well known?)

Just me of course but, I think it only natural that the current production version be chosen for the first kit!

Allan

• Like 3

It's taken 45 years for the Potez 540 to be released in my favourite markings. There weren't too many versions of it, gavingav. 60 years in the case of the Bristol 170.

Edited by dalea
Additional information
  • Like 2