1/72 - Lockheed (A)C-130H & J Hercules by Zvezda - released

Homebee

On 10/6/2021 at 2:47 AM, Homebee said:

I've just had a shipping notification for my pre ordered C-130J-30 .

10 hours ago, Владимир Мишонин said:

hi. this first C.1 just arrived to RAF, for serve and herculating.

PHOTO-AVION-AIRCRAFT-LOCKHEED-HERCULES-C

Talk about shiny and new! Not colourful, but it would make an eye catching model in BMFoil! I will be using BMFoil on the stressed skin control surfaces you do, I look forward to them arriving.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Procopius said:

I know very little about RAF Herculeses (Herculii? Alberts?), is there a good reference book on them in British service that explains their infinite variety? 

The book links already provided are excellent.
Herculeses, Herculii, Alberts, most of the people I have come across over years in the Air Force and later, called them “Herk’s”. The reason I spell it Herk, is because of a book published back in 79, titled “Herk: Hero of the Skies, by Joe Dabny. The first time I went to write Herk, I started with Herc, but it just didn’t look right, then I bought the book. In my mind, there is no question about pronunciation of Herk. So it still sticks with me today.

9 hours ago, MrB17 said:

Talk about shiny and new! Not colourful, but it would make an eye catching model in BMFoil! I will be using BMFoil on the stressed skin control surfaces you do, I look forward to them arriving.

Has the parcel not reached you yet?

PHOTO-AVION-AIRCRAFT-LOCKHEED-HERCULES-U

Edited by Владимир Мишонин

3 hours ago, exdraken said:

Any link to what exactly you mean?

I assume Armando was referring to the subject of the banner that is currently displayed at the top of the site in the link:

3D_ACCS_1296x.jpg?v=1631906176

So new resin, rather than new decals. As well as the items above, they also have C-130K style IFR probes.

https://aztecmodels.com/search?q=c-130

All the items appear to be available in 1:72 and 1:48, apart from the fuselage stretch set, which is 1:72 only.

Jonathan.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Zvezda C-130J-30 arrived today and is absolutely superb! The long fuselage is brilliant and is going to look fantastic next to a "shorty". My left half's fin is slightly warped but nothing that cant be fixed with a bit of care.

Other than the fuselage halves, there's four new sprues as follows:-

• two for the prop's,
  • one for the cargo floor extension, aft crew doors, refuel probe, cargo seats and lining panels, 
  • one for the new engine nacelles. 

The answer to the million dollar question that a lot of us were wondering, can the wings/fuselage be cross kitted to give a short 'J' and a long 'K', the answer is a definite yes after a quick dry fit. 

Looking forward to pushing on with the above conversion now that I have the 'J' in my hands. Will be building a long 'J' at some point in the future to with this fantastic kit, hopefully we'll see lots of these popping up in build threads soon.

Eng 

• Like 6

• 4 weeks later...

These are the C-130 stressed skin control surfaces in resin by Bring It! They arrived yesterday and I just had to do something to show off the details in photos.

All I have done, is to put a very little amount of SNJ aluminium powder on a cotton swab and buff a little. This isn’t the final finish, just enough to show off the stressed skin effect and super fine details. The Ailerons and Elevators are handed left and right, this is because there are actually drain holes on the under surfaces! This is top level resin! Not a single bubble or pit, the trailing edges are sharp and straight. Notice the rivets on the tabs and trailing edges, as well as the piano hinges. The inside edges of the elevator ends and rudder feature full details as well. Also the static dissipaters are provided as photo etch, and the details on those little guys are amazing. These are the rubber covered rope type with the frayed ends, so you can bend them to represent the natural sag. The ailerons are moulded as fullspan for the earlier Herk’s, you just need to remove the tip at the panel joint.

I also have the prop decals, props and exhausts from “Bring It!” All to the same high standards.

These are spectacular!

Jeff :)

09DAFA78-D5E8-4B43-89B4-8CF0418C8476 271CE254-AB7C-4535-A98D-98B4973C890E B1DBA010-AF80-4600-88AB-6622E80892DF AAE404CC-3717-4B77-8D79-2DDB767D15AD

0F526992-B79D-45DE-9886-74F7A1941FA9

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

• Homebee changed the title to 1/72 - Lockheed C-130H & J Hercules by Zvezda - C-130H & J released - new C-130J boxing in 2022
  • Homebee changed the title to 1/72 - Lockheed C-130H & J Hercules by Zvezda - C-130H & J-30 released - new C-130J variant in 2022
On 20/10/2021 at 15:56, Владимир Мишонин said:

hi. this first C.1 just arrived to RAF, for serve and herculating.

PHOTO-AVION-AIRCRAFT-LOCKHEED-HERCULES-C

All C.1 Hercules were delivered to the RAF in Dark Earth/Light Stone/Black camouflage, that one's been delivered from Lockheed to Marshalls for preparation and camouflage painting prior to delivery to the RAF

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Dave Swindell said:

All C.1 Hercules were delivered to the RAF in Dark Earth/Light Stone/Black camouflage, that one's been delivered from Lockheed to Marshalls for preparation and camouflage painting prior to delivery to the RAF

As I understand it, Marshall accompanies the entire life cycle of the C-130 model in the RAF. even participated in the engine test program for the A 400. using the famous XV 208 aircraft as a platform

36126395902-7ae7cc97e8-b.jpg

4 minutes ago, Владимир Мишонин said:

As I understand it, Marshall accompanies the entire life cycle of the C-130 model in the RAF. even participated in the engine test program for the A 400. using the famous XV 208 aircraft as a platform

36126395902-7ae7cc97e8-b.jpg

Yes, Marshalls have handled all the Hercules work for the RAF right from the beginning to date.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dave Swindell said:

Is that right Dave? I have a picture of one in natural metal at St Mawgan which I assumed to be a service aircraft.

1 hour ago, 71chally said:

Is that right Dave? I have a picture of one in natural metal at St Mawgan which I assumed to be a service aircraft.

This paper suggests so (p3)

"The first aircraft XV177 landed at Cambridge on 19th December 1966 for a series of modifications and painting. Over the next 18 months all 66 aircraft entered RAF service via Cambridge. 2 months later XV177 was ready and was delivered to RAF Boscombe Down on 18th February 1967. The first paint scheme was the brown and yellow camouflage markings with black underneath and a distinctive white cap above the cockpit."

Modifications included fitting British autopilots and navigation equipment and a full camo paint, I can't see one being delivered to the RAF for service before or part way through the modifications, but maybe one diverted en route to Marshals for an air day display or event to show off the RAF's latest acquisition? Do you have a date and serial no?