1/72 - Lockheed (A)C-130H & J Hercules by Zvezda - released

Homebee

3 hours ago, speedy said:

I had a look on their website but couldn’t see the offer, for us non social types.

I messaged them, to pre-order and secure the kit you have to phone them only, those details are on 'contact' section of their site.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, 71chally said:

Great review @Tiger331, at £50 the kit would still be a superb buy, but given that I have seen it listed at £36 makes it outstanding value.

I can't wait to actually have one in front of me.

A closer, overnight, study of the kit suggests that I missed a couple of things off my original review which don't appear to have been covered elsewhere. The first, and most significant, is that the kit instructions for this first issue call for the modeller to cut substantial lengths off the two upper cargo bay panels (Parts H21 at Stage 10b and H20 at Stage 20) and part of the forward section of the cargo bay overhead equipment rack (Part H19 at Stage 16) which clearly indicates that Zvedza are planning to market the 'stretched' C-130H-30 (C.Mk.3) sometime in the future. This particular variant has seen service with several Air Arms with interesting colour schemes/markings so we should be in for another treat and, of course, it also means that RAF fans should be able to complete a C.Mk.3 without resorting to considerable surgery. The other, more minor, omission concerns the flight deck crew. There are, of course, only three figures included when quite a few air arms operated with four flight deck crew (Pilot/Co-Pilot, Navigator and Flight Engineer) plus 1 or 2 Loadmasters depending on the size/nature of the load. I already plan to make more than one of these so I will rob a figure from one kit and reproduce the Loadie from a standing figure.        

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Just had my delivery from Tiger Hobbies (well packaged by the way as always), and what a thing of beauty it is.

Can't believe it's 50+ years since I picked that Airfix series 8/ Type 3 box up as an 11 year old from Woolworths.

thanks again Zvezda

Regards

Edited by robc
Got my series / box types mixed up.
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, robc said:

Just had my delivery from Tiger Hobbies (well packaged by the way as always), and what a thing of beauty it is.

Can't believe it's 50+ years since I picked that Airfix series 3 box up as an 11 year old from Woolworths.

thanks again Zvezda

Regards

Yep.....great memories.....I'm not sure when Airfix first issued the kit but I can clearly remember receiving one as a gift when I was around 14 years old and living in Cyprus. Soon after, we were pitched right into the centre of the Turkish Invasion of Cyprus in July 1974 and RAF Hercules were a regular sight at Kingsfield Airstrip, transporting stranded British tourists from the Eastern end of the Island to RAF Akrotiri, where they were then flown back to the UK on Britannias, VC-10s, and chartered 707s. Seeing the Fat Alberts flying over our house really spurred me on to complete my model in the Dark Earth/MidStone and Black colour scheme of the time. I loved that kit but the Zvedza is a 'whole new ball game', which of course it should be given its a new generation kit. 

• Like 3

I have just seen this on the Hannants web site, how did I miss this one, love the RAF camo with the two toned Brown and black underneath with the white roof, the one that Airfix did all those years ago

12 minutes ago, kev67 said:

I have just seen this on the Hannants web site, how did I miss this one, love the RAF camo with the two toned Brown and black underneath with the white roof, the one that Airfix did all those years ago

1 hour ago, LN-KEH said:

For those who want a civilian C-130H, Coulson Air Tankers is converting ex-RNoAF airframes to firefighters.

Now that would be a beautiful model to have in a collection!

Looking at photos of crud and custard RAF C-130s, it looks like there are a fair few aerials missing from the kit (browsing through the instructions). No big deal but I would be interested to know what aerials were present on the RAF planes in the late 1960s.

I am so excited about this release, my pre-order is with Lucky Model, I can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!

I dug out this old photo taken by my late father at RAF Luqa, Malta circa 1976-77. I think it provides some nice inspiration for a diorama since Zvedza have provided us with a very nice basis, with a detailed crew door and main cargo ramp. It also provides some good reference for the aerial arrangements on early RAF C-130s before all of the post-Falklands Conflict modifications came in after 1982 and onwards.

RAF C-130 C.1 XV199

• Like 9

21 hours ago, LN-KEH said:

For those who want a civilian C-130H, Coulson Air Tankers is converting ex-RNoAF airframes to firefighters.

123137232_2420358164940608_8268376354428

Decals - we want decals.....

Lima November .......?

4 minutes ago, Vingtor said:

Decals - we want decals.....

Lima November .......?

Whoever ... I've got my hand up for at least one set. Twelve months ago Australia was in the grip of its worst bushfire season ever, and the Coulson aircraft did some sterling work. Sadly one of them was lost, along with the four crew, when it took the ground in south-eastern New South Wales.

For Coulson decals look here..these ar still the old schemes but if you ask niceley he Maybe is willing to do the new ones..

His decals ar quite nice though they are not screenprinted decals...

https://www.v1decals.com/decal/v1d0594/coulson/lockheed-c-130-hercules

https://www.v1decals.com/decal/v1d0306/coulson/lockheed-c-130-hercules

https://www.v1decals.com/decal/v1d0062/coulson/lockheed-c-130-hercules

cheers, Jan

45 minutes ago, Admiral Puff said:

Whoever ... I've got my hand up for at least one set. Twelve months ago Australia was in the grip of its worst bushfire season ever, and the Coulson aircraft did some sterling work. Sadly one of them was lost, along with the four crew, when it took the ground in south-eastern New South Wales.

Three crew lost, Admiral Puff, not four. No less tragic for that, however. The aircraft involved was EC130Q, N134CG, Coulson 4, temporarily working with the NSW Rural Fire Service. I watched it land at RAAF Fairbairn while I was waiting in the departure lounge at Canberra Airport on 9th January this year:

y4mCH9ndUB8HvuaFNpXhoQoI_PGj45_9c79WIpWy

Regards, Jeff

• Like 1

Not got my kit(s) yet,...... have Zvesda got the RAF wing walk decals correct,..... yellow with red hatching,....... or are they simply yellow lines? On the pre production decal views they looked like simple yellow lines,....... I did contact them about this but they never got back to me.

Really looking forward to building this kit,

Cheers

Tony 

13 minutes ago, tonyot said:

Not got my kit(s) yet,...... have Zvesda got the RAF wing walk decals correct,..... yellow with red hatching,....... or are they simply yellow lines? On the pre production decal views they looked like simple yellow lines,....... I did contact them about this but they never got back to me.

Really looking forward to building this kit,

Cheers

Tony 

Hi Tony, I can tell that it has the simple yellow lines...that was the first thing I noticed when I looked at those...

cheers, Jan

• Like 1

1 minute ago, janneman36 said:

Hi Tony, I can tell that it has the simple yellow lines...that was the first thing I noticed when I looked at those...

cheers, Jan

That is a shame Jan,...... hopfully Xtradecal will re release their RAF Hercules stencil and national marking sheet for a grey and green Herk then?

Cheers mate

Tony

• Like 2