1/72 - Lockheed (A)C-130H & J Hercules by Zvezda - released

Homebee

On 2/17/2021 at 2:17 AM, Stephen said:

Excellent news! The walkway stencils are much sought after.

Cheers

Jeff :)

20 hours ago, Spectre 130 said:

Has anyone been able to get hold of the Arma Models No. AM7290 AC-130 conversion kit (which was only offered only as a pre-order in Russia) in the UK?

This might be an indication of some logistical nightmare that Arma (Russia) has got themselves into. Myself and @Scooby ordered some raised rivet sets that were apparently only available from Arma if you ordered a Zvezda C-130 kit from them. An EBay seller (ekatsmir) had 6 of these rivet sets and Scooby ordered 2, I ordered 3, someone else ordered one. I ordered them on November 18 and still don’t have them. Scooby got a refund after inquiring about the status of the order, while I got a reply after my inquiry stating that he would send them via airmail. Sure enough, I got a tracking number the next day, and it’s in Canada now, so I am crossing my fingers and will post some photos upon arrival (if that happens). What I find strange, is the delay in marking them as shipped, when obviously they were either not available yet from Arma or just the seller being lackadaisical. Also strange is that ekatsmir put 2 sets up on eBay shortly after issuing scooby’s refund! Additionally, I ordered one of my Zvezda C-130’s from him and eventually I did receive it,  although I could not leave feedback because it was past the shipping arrival date. He has 112 positive and 2 negative for 97.5% feedback score, with very positive comments.  So I am leaning towards the problem being with Arma’s logistics? I thought this might shed some light on what is going on there. Also , ekatsmir currently has nothing for sale on eBay.

I would love to do an AC-130A or even an E, because they look really mean in the black and south east Asia camouflage. I had an Italeri AC-130A, but just couldn’t bring myself to correct all the mistakes, especially the 3 blade props. The blades in the kit were just the same as the E/H blades, not anything like the A style 3 blade Aeroproducts propeller, which had a noticeably narrower chord and the propeller arc was 15’ as opposed to the 4 blade Hamilton Standard, which is 13’ 6”.

Cheers

Edited by MrB17
Finished what I started writing
  • Like 2

MrB17, we Aussies don't call the "bever tail" the "duck's bottom", we call it the "duck's ... alpha romeo sierra echo". Apparently, the profanity filter edited my earlier post. 

I couldn't find a close-up photo of the CPI, but maybe these will suffice?

When they weren't fitted, a green aluminium plate went over the recess hole. And later, a grey blanking plate after they were transferred from 36SQN to 37SQN and repainted low-vis grey.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Jobbie said:

MrB17, we Aussies don't call the "bever tail" the "duck's bottom", we call it the "duck's ... alpha romeo sierra echo". Apparently, the profanity filter edited my earlier post.

Thanks for the photos and information @Jobbie I had a good chuckle over the Duck’s Ars*. My daughter gave me a book on Aussie slang, before my visit to Melbourne years ago, and I still have to ask my son-in-law what some things mean. They live here now and my grandkids still have have an accent, very cute.

I can see that the Aussie CPI is slightly different from ours, in that ours had winglets that stuck out of the rear side edges, and were visible from the ground at certain angles. There are multiple different configurations for CPI’s depending on the user and aircraft. The photos illustrate the lack of winglets fairly clearly. The hay bales tumbling out of the Herk in the top photo are a good indication of the humanitarian aspect. The bottom photo shows an excellent view of the weathered camouflage.

I snapped a photo of one of your Herk’s in that camouflage, taxiing by at Maple Flag in 2001, it wasn’t until I had my film developed that I noticed the FE waving at me from the cockpit hatch. Good times.
Thanks again for the photos and information.

Cheers

• Like 1

On 20/02/2021 at 08:17, Cammer625 said:

What a great overhead shot.  That wing is sure patchy - is the engine at the top bare metal?

Nope. At the end of the life, the Aussie H models were painted grey all over - to match the J-30 models - which where being repainted a darker shade of grey than their delivery scheme. The QEC's (Quick Engine Connect) were themselves being repainted all-over grey as they went into overhaul. I'd imagine there were no green ones left at the time.

Edited by Jobbie
Terminology correction.
  • Like 2

No CPI winglets- Purely smooth, white fibreglass. In theory of operation, they'd be manually dispensed from the crashing aircraft and float down to the ground like a feather, twisting through the air as it falls. The J's don't have them fitted- they have a beacon with a G-switch in the vertical stab's forward fillet. I was trained on the J model at the Lockheed factory at Marietta. When I asked about the CPI's not being fitted to the J, the instructor wasn't sure what I was talking about. I explained the system on RAAF H's, and he started giggling. He said the duck's bottom CPI's hadn't been fitted at the factory since Vietnam, because they didn't work. We all agreed that the only part of a Herc which reliably survives a crash is the vertical stab. Making the CPI integral to that structure makes much more sense.

• Like 1

On 2/17/2021 at 10:52 PM, Tiger331 said:

Very doubtful. I have been in direct contact with one of the Russian vendors that sold this kit - I got the distinct impression that Arma seriously underestimated the demand for this conversion kit and I very much doubt any got exported to overseas vendors. He had promised to advise me when it was next in stock but that was over 2 months ago. We may have to wait for another enterprising manufacturer to produce it or maybe Zvedza will oblige us with another re-release of their kit with the necessary parts to produce the AC-130 ?.  

I contacted Arma too in regards to the rivet decals. I had to use google translate for all the Russian messages back and forth. I asked if he was going to sell internationally and to me it sounded he wasn’t going to export.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Cammer625 said:

What a great overhead shot.  That wing is sure patchy - is the engine at the top bare metal?

I doubt it, that is probably a gray QEC from their next paint scheme. During transitions to new paint schemes we occasionally had mismatched camo schemes on our aircraft in Canada if we changed and engine and didn’t swap the QEC (Quick Engine Connect). The built up spares would generally all be in the new QEC colors.

I recall having an RAAF Herc at our base in Canada in 1990 for an airlift rodeo. I zapped the aircraft with a bunch of decals and a large Stanley Cup (our team had just won their 5th Cup). I have pictures in my Herc album.

The best part is when the Aussies arrived the Herc was full to the roof from 245 bulkhead back to the ramp with Fosters Beer. The MPs impounded the beer and it was all stored in our hockey arena. The rule was we could only consume the illegal contraband in the arena. The MPs put guards on the front doors so nothing was smuggled out. So we all drove around to the back of the arena and loaded our trunks from the back door.

Those were the good-ole-days.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Stories of C-130s and contraband abound, including of a Morris Mini allegedly imported into the U.S. (without duties), which squadron personnel promptly "disappeared" into the bottom of a nearby lake at the urging of the squadron CC!  I swear I never witnessed any of this personally, Your Honor!

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, Scooby said:

The best part is when the Aussies arrived the Herc was full to the roof from 245 bulkhead back to the ramp with Fosters Beer. The MPs impounded the beer and it was all stored in our hockey arena. The rule was we could only consume the illegal contraband in the arena. The MPs put guards on the front doors so nothing was smuggled out. So we all drove around to the back of the arena and loaded our trunks from the back door.

Those were the good-ole-days.

We have to get rid of that crappy beer somehow! I can't believe YOU DRANK IT! Bwahahahahaha!!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, Jobbie said:

can't believe YOU DRANK IT! Bwahahahahaha!!!

Yeah, we drank the stuff too, while on TDY in Bahrain.  It was hot, the beer was available cold and in quantity, and we drank it.  Sometimes, you gotta do what you gotta do.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Jobbie said:

We have to get rid of that crappy beer somehow! I can't believe YOU DRANK IT! Bwahahahahaha!!!

I know, that was the big joke with the Aussies. Crocodile Dundee was just out and Paul Hogan was promoting Fosters in commercials. Fosters donated all the beer free of charge. The Aussies wouldn’t touch it, for the rest of us it was a novelty. Added to this was our International Airshow was during this airlift rodeo. In those days Canadian Breweries donated beer for the participants too, we had 300 plus active military aircraft visiting. Over a long weekend we were kept well lubricated and fed for free! I miss those days.

• Like 1

On 2/20/2021 at 9:53 AM, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Stories of C-130s and contraband abound, including of a Morris Mini allegedly imported into the U.S. (without duties), which squadron personnel promptly "disappeared" into the bottom of a nearby lake at the urging of the squadron CC!  I swear I never witnessed any of this personally, Your Honor!

One guy I served with became a Court of Queens Bench Judge after he left the airforce, he recently told me all the stuff we did in the military is protected by the statute of limitations now due to the time that has passed. We were recently discussing a prank one of my squadron mates pulled on the Canadian Army in Europe, it was so seriously that all Canadian Air Force stationed in Germany had to take part in an apology parade.

I saw one BMW come off a Herc. My favorites though were the live Lobsters they delivered us every Thursday in Europe and I think Friday’s in Western Canada.

• Like 3

With 2 bomb bays an Argus could also carry quite a load of lobster!!!

One of the Nav School Hercs brought back a load of these delicious crustaceans from an OTU tour out east. Somehow there was a lot of liquid leaked from the load and that bird smelled pretty ripe for a while - glad I only had a handful of flights left in the course!!

• Like 2

On 2/21/2021 at 7:47 PM, Scooby said:

We were recently discussing a prank one of my squadron mates pulled on the Canadian Army in Europe, it was so seriously that all Canadian Air Force stationed in Germany had to take part in an apology parade.

Oh, do tell. 😎

Cheers,

Andre

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone planning on doing any of the Canadian CC-130’s B,E,H,J, Belcher Bits has released the 1/72 CC-130 Hercules decal set. This covers all of our Herk’s from 1961-present. This is the most comprehensive CC-130 decal set available! belcherbits.com now on scalemates also if you want to have a look.

Product code is BD37. If ordering from the UK, please read the changes to UK shipping and VAT on the website!

Many thanks to @belcherbits for making this available. :)

Cheers,

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MrB17 said:

Anyone planning on doing any of the Canadian CC-130’s B,E,H,J, Belcher Bits has released the 1/72 CC-130 Hercules decal set. This covers all of our Herk’s from 1961-present. This is the most comprehensive CC-130 decal set available! belcherbits.com now on scalemates also if you want to have a look.

Product code is BD37. If ordering from the UK, please read the changes to UK shipping and VAT on the website!

Many thanks to @belcherbits for making this available. :)

Cheers,

I have two sets already, he also updated them to add the RCAF markings to the current schemes.

• Like 1

On 2/24/2021 at 3:43 AM, Hook said:

Oh, do tell. 😎

Cheers,

Andre

He replaced the crest on the Royal Canadian Regiment Memorial in CFB Lahr with the RCAF crest.

Kind of a bad one to do IMHO. If any of the RCR soldiers would have caught him or found out his name.........

39 minutes ago, Scooby said:

He replaced the crest on the Royal Canadian Regiment Memorial in CFB Lahr with the RCAF crest.

Kind of a bad one to do IMHO. If any of the RCR soldiers would have caught him or found out his name.........

Oh my my my, that could have gone very wrong! The risks we took when we were young and (__________)! 
I went through boot camp with a combat arms platoon and I am lucky to have survived that. Although I had been in air cadets for five years, I learned a whole new level of respect! I personally would not have taken the chance, knowing the possibilities. Regimental Sargeants could make you quiver with fear for just looking at them the wrong way! Lucky SOB he was. “A man’s got to know his limitations”.

4 hours ago, MrB17 said:

Oh my my my, that could have gone very wrong! The risks we took when we were young and (__________)! 

Indeed! One of the great plusses of approaching middle age - no smart phones that filmed everything were around when I was young.  :) 

Cheers,

Andre

• Like 2

19 hours ago, MrB17 said:

I went through boot camp with a combat arms platoon and I am lucky to have survived that. Although I had been in air cadets for five years, I learned a whole new level of respect! I personally would not have taken the chance, knowing the possibilities. Regimental Sargeants could make you quiver with fear for just looking at them the wrong way! Lucky SOB he was. “A man’s got to know his limitations”.

Fairly sure there was a bounty on his head.........they got him out of Germany quick. Although they also claimed they didn’t know who did it. He was never charged.

• Like 1

Heads up on 1/72 C-130 aftermarket resin wheels.
I have just been going over this with @Scooby, because of the upcoming release of Eduard Brassin 1/72 C-130 wheels.

It seems that the US military C-130 fleet started upgrading to a new wheel and brake system by UTC Aerospace Systems (Goodyear), around the end of 2013. The new wheel is spoked as opposed to the solid type seen on most C-130’s. I have contacted Eduard to ask if they plan on releasing an “early” set, because the 3D rendering in the March issue of Info Eduard shows the UTC spoked wheels. Granted, a fully loaded C-130 would have the majority of the main wheel assembly hidden by the outer gear doors. However some of us might want to display a Herk undergoing a daily inspection or a wheel assembly change, where the type of wheel is clearly visible with the door in the full access position. ResKit offers both wheel types, I am hoping that Eduard will offer both as well. The brake side is much less visible, however for those who care, the following photos show the difference between the E and earlier single disc brake, the H style multi stator/rotor, and the newer UTC system. The weight of the single disc on the early brakes was a lot! 
Update: Just received an email from Eduard regarding the Brassin 1/72 C-130 wheels. They will also be releasing the earlier solid main wheel type. They are still in use on most non US military C-130’s.

69E06E9D-C238-457D-9E8C-262F0585A5FD 42F44581-B0C5-4244-97F2-33693D10159D

Cheers

• Like 2