Jump to content

1/72 - Lockheed C-130H Hercules by Zvezda - released


Recommended Posts

spacer.png

 

Picture by Rainer Bexten, taken at former AFB Hahn this year. If you google for Rainer Bexten you will find  big and lovely treasures!

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Truro Model Builder said:

I always thought the early 1990s RNZAF scheme was very attractive:

 

1c2d2c15d042ec6ac6cfb45b3e5d1bbf.jpg

 

I remember one came to the UK in 1992. It made a mess of Middle Wallop's grass runway and carried out a very impressive display routine at St. Mawgan air day. At the moment I am leaning towards doing one of these.

The scheme is identical to the Canadian scheme in the early 90s. RNZAF C-130s were overhauled in Canada at the time, so I think that is why they were given the same scheme.

 

That Herc visited our base in the early 90s too, for an Airlift Rodeo.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Follow on from post 207 about the future Arma Models AC-130 Hercules Spectre gunship conversion set.

Source: https://www.facebook.com/Arma.Models/posts/3280126105408407

 

Google translated

Quote

And here is the final work on AC-130 ′′ Spectre "!

We tried to consider all your wishes. Transparent details - basic set C-130, gray and color - conversion elements.

Pre-order is close!

And yes, this conversion will only be available with preorder C-130! Then she will NOT go on free sale!

 

118779171-3280122492075435-9091324584182


118771048-3280122488742102-8044259943246


118770004-3280122705408747-5583964332451


118780189-3280122835408734-1812957352421

 

V.P.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

> And here is the final work on AC-130 ′′ Spectre "!

So a 1991 Gulf War / Somalia era equipment fit:

 

spacer.png

 

Although I'm not seeing the modification to the front end of the port sponson on the rendering, which I think pre-dated the FLIR turret under the nose.

Also no sign of the outboard underwing pylons or exhaust shrouds, but the wing mods may have been left of the rendering for simplicity, and exhaust shrouds may not have been fitted during this era.

 

Personally I was hoping for an option to build a more modern configuration:

 

spacer.png

 

Even though it would mean losing the rotary canon, but the earlier configuration will be a good start.

 

    Jonathan.

Edited by Stilwell
Edited for clarity.
Link to post
Share on other sites

Wooow, nice - but - when i can this version, i must pre-order kit and this in Russia :( ? (And do you know - a taxes....) 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Bit late joining this thread but am I right in thinking I can build an early brown/sand scheme RAF C130K from the reprinted 26decal sheet without any mods? Thanks. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, keithjs said:

Bit late joining this thread but am I right in thinking I can build an early brown/sand scheme RAF C130K from the reprinted 26decal sheet without any mods?

Hi Keith

 

Well without having the actual plastic in hand yet I would say "yes"  (99% ish) - the kit itself actually includes an option for an RAF C-130K (although listed as a C-130H) with markings for an RAF Hercules C.1 in the later 80's/90's Dark Green / Grey / Light Aircraft Grey scheme.

 

The only things I have noticed is that there is no option for an astrodome above the flightdeck (an optional fit on the real aircraft anyway) and the cargo bay floor surface and ramp are not correct for a UK fit; but should be fixable with a bit of work if you want the back open.    

 

The 26 Decal sheet for the dark eath / light stone / black scheme does seem to have the large underwing serials in white, when they should be a very light grey (its hard to tell, but may have been revised) and not sure if it includes the yellow wing walkway lines - otherwise good to go.

 

Hope that helps - I am sure those more learned than I will correct me if I got it wrong:wink:

 

Rich

Edited by RichG
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you both. I've found a couple of photos of XV215 (from the kit) in the early brown/sand scheme and grey/greeen and neither of them have the astrodome fitted and unless its a simple mod for the floor I'll keep it shut. Much appreciated.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RichG said:

he 26 Decal sheet for the dark eath / light stone / black scheme does seem to have the large underwing serials in white, when they should be a very light grey (its hard to tell, but may have been revised) and not sure if it includes the yellow wing walkway lines - otherwise good to go.

The underwing serials on my sheet are definitely light grey :)

http://www.26decals.com/epages/62035508.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/62035508/Products/STS7214

Cheers

Ray

 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, 71chally said:

While you are here Ray, what is the advantage of screen printed decals over the standard type please?

https://www.signs.com/blog/uv-screen-offset-printing/

https://medium.com/@clashgraphicsga/benefits-screen-print-sublimation-offset-digital-d4ea5e57c956

 

Under "standard", I thinkg, you assume "offset printing"

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know, I mean as in decals that come in the kit box or that I usually get from Hannants etc.

But I noticed that many airliner decals are screen printed and wondered what the advantage or difference is for applying to models?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 26Decals said:

The underwing serials on my sheet are definitely light grey :)

That is fantastic news; 'cause these are definitely going on my first one! Now the only question is hi vis or low vis..? I think it'll have to be old school with those very loooooong Command titles!

 

Many thanks Ray. :thumbsup:

 

Rich 

Edited by RichG
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, 71chally said:

I don't know, I mean as in decals that come in the kit box or that I usually get from Hannants etc.

But I noticed that many airliner decals are screen printed and wondered what the advantage or difference is for applying to models?

 

No. For the end user they look and feel exactly the same, it is more about the cost of printing.  

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, 71chally said:

I mean as in decals that come in the kit box or that I usually get from Hannants etc.

Most of them will be screen printed. 26Decals screen printed range are just like those you get in kits, or from the likes of Microscale or Xtradecal, idividual decals with full opacity. 

Laser decals are printed on a sheet with a full continuous decals film on, each one has to be cut out individually, and unless printed on white decal film they need to be placed on a white painted surface for correct colour rendition as the inks are translucent and need the white background, the printing process assumes you're printing onto white paper. Black only images tend to work ok on other colour paints, and you may get away with dark images on a non white background, but a light coloured decal on a dark background won't work.

 

22 minutes ago, 71chally said:

But I noticed that many airliner decals are screen printed

It's not that many airliner decals are screen printed, it's that there are a lot of airliner decals that are laser printed, and where both types are in the catalogue (like 26Decals) they are annoteded with the print type so the customer knows what they are buying. Laser decals aren't that common from military aftermarket decal producers, so there's no need to note that the decals are screen printed, it's accepted as the norm.  

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Dave Swindell said:

Most of them will be screen printed. 26Decals screen printed range are just like those you get in kits, or from the likes of Microscale or Xtradecal, idividual decals with full opacity. 

Laser decals are printed on a sheet with a full continuous decals film on, each one has to be cut out individually, and unless printed on white decal film they need to be placed on a white painted surface for correct colour rendition as the inks are translucent and need the white background, the printing process assumes you're printing onto white paper.

 

Laser decals aren't that common from military aftermarket decal producers, so there's no need to note that the decals are screen printed, it's accepted as the norm.  

Ahh, I understand now, brilliant thank you.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Sources:

https://vk.com/zvezdamodels?w=wall-29859496_2600143

https://www.facebook.com/Zvezda.ModelKits/posts/2669083943194393

 

Quote

Some more news about our new C-130H Hercules kit in 1/72 scale.

A bit of test-build work in progress photos and decals!

Five variants, USA, RAF, Poland, Japan and Korea!

 

119060740-2669082716527849-3803001652264


119142761-2669082813194506-8488682847650


119152497-2669082953194492-7370061916477


119199647-2669083526527768-5514696212614


119215922-2669083573194430-2210061048288


119182511-2669083666527754-4588307299529


119131069-2669083796527741-5340758781316

 

V.P.

  • Like 13
Link to post
Share on other sites

The more i see of this the more i like it, cheap, affordable, well detailed and engineered, like a return to the old ways of selling kits when companies would hope to sell 20-30,000 kits and sell then cheaper against the new model of making a run of just 10,000 and selling at higher price, Zvezda is going to sell a lot of these for many years to come, i think some other companies will be kicking themselves over a massive missed opportunity but then again if trumpeter had made this you can guarantee it would have been £99.99  .

  • Like 7
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, gavingav said:

The more i see of this the more i like it, cheap, affordable, well detailed and engineered, like a return to the old ways of selling kits when companies would hope to sell 20-30,000 kits and sell then cheaper against the new model of making a run of just 10,000 and selling at higher price, Zvezda is going to sell a lot of these for many years to come, i think some other companies will be kicking themselves over a massive missed opportunity but then again if trumpeter had made this you can guarantee it would have been £99.99  .

And we have Revell Gmbh releasing Zvezda kits in Revell boxes - I am quite sure a deal will be made, so we are going to find the C-130H among next years Revell releases.

German Luftwaffe / France has C-130J-30s on order, so maybe that will be Revells preferred release.

If they have prepared for C-130J and stretched versions as well, then Zvezda is going to do well with this one.

 

And for the decal makers, here is a link to a list of C-130 users: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Lockheed_C-130_Hercules_operators

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Lots of scope for super-detailing here to a ridiculous degree!  I like it.  The shape looks good, the flight deck layout, with the elevated platform for AC, Co, and FE's seats, and heck--there may even be an old, disused OMEGA at the NAV's station!  Just need to add footrests for the AC and Co so they can put their feet up on long flights, a folding bunk to the right rear cargo compartment, and a fold-away toilet to the left rear cargo area.  Others have spoken of the need for rollers on the cargo floor--perhaps Freightdog can help with this?  Kudos to Zvezda!

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...