1/72 - Lockheed (A)C-130H & J Hercules by Zvezda - released

Homebee

10 hours ago, 26Decals said:

Already at the printers as STS7214 :)

How about STS7218? Would you reprint that for us Canucks?

You can market that sheet as an H model. Serials 130328 to 130333 were all H Models. These airframes are the only H models that carried the silver scheme.

Sadly we lost three of them in accidents, 329 during a LAPES drop, I lost seven squadron mates in this accident. 330 & 331 collided over our base during an anniversary Flypast, I lost 20 Squadron mates in that accident (a lot were onboard for the event). A lot of the debris hit our hangar, it was a terrible experience, 333 almost collided with the other two aircraft too. It took the crew several hours to get the nerve to land.

333 is still flying, it is one of the most beloved Herc’s in our inventory, it’s been affectionately named “Triple Pig.” It is now in its third paint scheme. 332 is also still flying.

328 is a ground training aid, no longer flying.

334 & up were newer model H models, which never carried the Silver scheme. These serials are all still flying.

I know, too much history. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, 26Decals said:

Already at the printers as STS7214

The tricky thing with this scheme is in correctly reproducing the underwing serials. The characters being 36" high x 22.5" wide and  which apparently were specifically in a light grey colour rather than white...? Also the yellow walkway boundary marks; although these may have changed after delivery to more recent style - a bit like the prop tips which were originally in yellow and then went red/white/red.

As recorded in detail at the time in Airfix Magazine (Nov 1967) - see this previous thread.

Happy to be corrected on this.

Rich

Edited by RichG

@Homebee

Finally available for preorders at the Aviationmegastore in Amsterdam for just 37,95 in Euro’s.....release for Oktober...

https://www.aviationmegastore.com/lockheed-c130h-hercules-expected-october-2020-7332-zvezda-4600327062703-vliegtuig-modelbouw/product/?action=prodinfo&art=172588

And it is cheaper than a Italeri Hercules 🤟 you rock Zvezda🤩 

Just preordered one.....Me happy camper...

I think that a lot of people are surprised and happy about that price!

cheers, Jan

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Hook said:

37,95..? That's a steal.

It is certainly a steal, especially if you're local - works out to £33.72; or, including shipping, to the UK, just over £48

Hannants (pre-order) price is £44.99; or £49.29 including shipping in the UK. RRP is £49.99

Incidentally I see the much maligned Wheelspin website is now quoting a price of £42.49 (+£3.50 shipping in UK)... slightly lower than the £135 they quoted previously :giggle:. Judging by the size of the Aviation Megastore discount over the RRP (32%) I'm sure we'll see more bargains.:like:

Rich

Edited by RichG
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, janneman36 said:

I think that a lot of people are surprised and happy about that price!

...I'm actually not that surprised, generally Zvezda kits do represent great value for money for the product that you get, to my mind other manufacturers would do well to follow their business model.  I'm waiting for it to show up on Jadlams', as they are usually very competitive on prices, free postage, and stock Zvezda.

Definitely happy though!

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 3

19 hours ago, Scooby said:

How about STS7218? Would you reprint that for us Canucks?

You can market that sheet as an H model. Serials 130328 to 130333 were all H Models. These airframes are the only H models that carried the silver scheme.

130329 was the first CC-130H, according to any online sources I have seen. 

I have a particular memory of 130328, which is why your post piqued my interest.  The three-tone camo seen here was a smart enough scheme and certainly much better than the USAF equivalent.

4040211283_00304d196f_o.jpg130328 CC-130E Hercules by Irish251, on Flickr

16777390070_577757766d_o.jpg130328 CC-130E Hercules by Irish251, on Flickr

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Irish 251 said:

I have a particular memory of 130328, which is why your post piqued my interest.  The three-tone camo seen here was a smart enough scheme and certainly much better than the USAF equivalent.

Correct, I went off memory and was off by one digit.

328 is on display in an outdoor museum at CFB Trenton.

19 hours ago, Irish 251 said:

130328 CC-130E Hercules by Irish251, on Flickr

16777390070_577757766d_o.jpg130328 CC-130E Hercules by Irish251, on Flickr

Looks awfully like Shannon. I remember seeing the Canadian Hercs pass through Shannon in the 1970s although at that time they were still in their white and natural metal scheme.

Lovely picture by the way.

• Like 1

On 9/2/2020 at 3:53 PM, Irish 251 said:

I should add, that was the scheme they had when I started serving on them, if I remember correctly we only had one in the white/silver scheme and it was 328.

I always thought the early 1990s RNZAF scheme was very attractive:

1c2d2c15d042ec6ac6cfb45b3e5d1bbf.jpg

I remember one came to the UK in 1992. It made a mess of Middle Wallop's grass runway and carried out a very impressive display routine at St. Mawgan air day. At the moment I am leaning towards doing one of these.

• Like 3

Looks like the kit decal sheet includes 2 different styles of wing walkway markings - not sure if the yellow ones are correct for the RAF version? Hannants seem to be reprinting a number of Xtradecal sheets recently; I wonder if they will reprint / reissue the old Xtradecal X030-72 (wing walkways & national insignia) for an RAF Hercules C.1 ?  I have one in my stash...  been patiently waiting for release of a suitable kit to use them on... :whistle:

Rich

Edited by RichG

2 hours ago, RichG said:

I wonder if they will reprint / reissue the old Xtradecal X030-72 (wing walkways & national insignia) for an RAF Hercules C.1 ?  I have one in my stash...  been patiently waiting for release of a suitable kit to use them on... :whistle:

I'm guessing that they will have to wait until they get their hands on the kit? If the other kits rendered the panel lines etc differently then the walkways and stencils could be affected?

On 9/3/2020 at 8:04 AM, Eric Mc said:

Looks awfully like Shannon. I remember seeing the Canadian Hercs pass through Shannon in the 1970s although at that time they were still in their white and natural metal scheme.

Lovely picture by the way.

It is indeed Shannon.  Here is one of those in the pre-camo scheme.  I think the aluminium areas were mostly painted rather than bare metal, though.

16929160256_9ddefba189_o.jpg130321 CC-130E Hercules by Irish251, on Flickr

• Like 4