1/72 - Lockheed (A)C-130H & J Hercules by Zvezda - released

Homebee

5 minutes ago, Albeback52 said:

Still prefer the "sand and stone" RAF scheme though so, it's "none of the above" out of the kit options!! 😉🤣

Allan.

No but I'm sure Xtradecal will be preparing one, hmmm wonder if the 'Fat Slags' will be included on the Zvezda decal sheet.

• Like 1

The three RAF schemes I'm planning on doing, original natural metal delivery, the sand and stone, and XV200 in camo wraparound when I was fortunate enough to have a flight on it.

The thing the kit looks like it could be missing is the astrodome and hole for it, but that's doable.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 71chally said:

The three RAF schemes I'm planning on doing, original natural metal delivery, the sand and stone, and XV200 in camo wraparound when I was fortunate enough to have a flight on it.

The thing the kit looks like it could be missing is the astrodome and hole for it, but that's doable.

Astrodome is an easy fix with a drill and some spare Chinook clear bubble parts.  I've gone with that approach on the Italeri kit.  

I had no idea the RAF had theirs delivered in natural metal!  That would have been an interesting sight!

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

I had no idea the RAF had theirs delivered in natural metal!  That would have been an interesting sight!

First C-130 (XV177) arriving at Cambridge

... and in their initial warpaint (Dark Earth, Light Stone and Black undersurfaces to be precise) Hercules for the RAF (1967)

Rich

Edited by RichG
  • Like 7

55 minutes ago, Truro Model Builder said:

So who's going to be first to bring out a W.2 conversion then?

I snapped that one too

49891335446_5245b96bbe_c.jpg

That was a brilliant line up. 

Trevor

• Like 2

6 hours ago, wamwig said:

No but I'm sure Xtradecal will be preparing one, hmmm wonder if the 'Fat Slags' will be included on the Zvezda decal sheet.

Maybe Xtradecal will do a sand / earth / black C-130K option on a future sheet – although I expect they are disappointed that the kit includes the same new JASDF markings that they have included in their own up-coming sheet:

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/X72320

Or maybe 26 Decals will up-scale their 1:144 sheet:

http://www.26decals.com/epages/62035508.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/62035508/Products/STS44357

Or maybe AirDecal will re-print their old sheet:

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/airdecal-adts7224-raf-c-130k--240628

Given that Zvezda have elected to do XV215 in 1991, not doing the artwork would be a waste – but at least it would increase the value of the Almark S12 sheet, while providing the codes in the correct white. But I suspect that XV215 was chosen because of the artwork, along with the aircraft not having been fitted with Orange Crop or an astrodome:

https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/25892

spacer.png

At least, if it was, they were removed by July 1992. Like the nose art.

Hopefully the C-130K scheme will come with the correct stencils and walkways, given the current lack of availability of Xtradecal sheet 72012.

The next question may be the best way to do a stretched C-130-30 / C-130K C.3.

The Wingman Models / Multicast sets:

https://www.aviationmegastore.com/lockheed-c130j-c4-conversion-set-raf-italeri-mc-72003-multi-cast-design-and-casting-mc-72003-aircraft-modelling-conversion/product/?action=prodinfo&art=170707

Are designed for the Italeri kit, so presumably the cross-section isn’t suitable for the Zvezda kit.

Plus, while the integral main gear fairing front ends are good for a C-130J-30 and a late C-130H-30, they are not good for a C.3: the fronts would have to be removed and replaced by the appropriate kit parts.

The old DB Productions set was designed for the Airfix kit, so might work:

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/db-productions-db40-c-130-30-fuselage-plugs--977200

(if you can find one).

Despite the similarity of the Flightpath set to the DB Productions set, it says it is for the Italeri kit:

https://www.djparkins.com/product.php?productid=17931&page=1

so presumably has the incorrect shape for the Zvezda kit.

Jonathan.

• Like 1

Fill the cargo bay with....stuff?

From what I can see there is no provision in the kit for roller floor (either Dash 4a or Skydel) or the centreline seats so that'll mean vehicles and getting appropriate ones in 1:72 isn't easy. And anyway the ramp floor will still be wrong for a K. 😉

3 hours ago, Stilwell said:

The old DB Productions set was designed for the Airfix kit, so might work:

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/db-productions-db40-c-130-30-fuselage-plugs--977200

(if you can find one).

Despite the similarity of the Flightpath set to the DB Productions set, it says it is for the Italeri kit:

https://www.djparkins.com/product.php?productid=17931&page=1

so presumably has the incorrect shape for the Zvezda kit.

Jonathan.

I don't believe the sets that originated with DB Productions were remastered by @djparkins - so unless I'm mistaken, the C-130-30 "plug" parts should be identical between DB and Flightpath.

That's the first time I've heard the DB set was intended for the Airfix kit, which seems strange since the other conversions (to the best of my knowledge) were designed for the Italeri kit.  By the time DB released their conversion sets (most now adopted by Flightpath or Airwaves), Airfix had already permanently modified their Hercules tooling for the AC-130 version, so conversions for the transport would have to rely on old stock/secondhand kits.

4 hours ago, CT7567 said:

That's the first time I've heard the DB set was intended for the Airfix kit

It is the case. The instructions in the image in the Scalemates link are just about readable and state this as well as saying that some re-profiling will be needed if using for the Italeri kit. I have the Flightpath issue of these plugs and can confirm the chine that Airfix captured in their fuselage cross section is present in the plugs.

Mark.

15 hours ago, Stilwell said:

But I suspect that XV215 was chosen because of the artwork, along with the aircraft not having been fitted with Orange Crop or an astrodome:

At least, if it was, they were removed by July 1992. Like the nose art.

Don't forget the astrodome was a quickly removable and fitted item, replaced when not in use by a solid hatch.

Makes things easier in modelling terms.

Like TMB says above, I would be amazed if decal and aftermarket manufacturers are not all over this. It will be their loss if they're not as this must be one of the biggest releases at the moment in terms of worldwide use and popularity.

Even the American and UK use alone can produce so many options, and it's obvious that the kit is reaching out for many markets.

It will be great if Zvezda consider doing a long Herc at some stage, I usually end up with bendy aeroplane models with one major fuselage extension, let alone two!

BTW I can think of nine British colour schemes,

Natural Metal

Sand and stone

Dark green, Dark Sea Grey, and Light Aircraft Grey unders.

Dark green and Dark Sea Grey wraparound

Desert Pink

ARTF white, experimental

All over dark green

All over grey

And the rather Transport Command looking W.2

That's before you consider serial and roundel presentation changes!

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 1

Hmm, on pic i see a parts was probably prepared to futher versions and subversions, and the conversion set with metal guns look very nice, so i don´t understand why Zvezda don´t make in future a gunship version out of the box ? Only difference are cannons (and sensors), not ? (I don´t think a make a complet new interior with consoles of fire control, in this case i´m don´t optimist.... (But maybe i bought a conversion set, looks really good). And i think a gunship is really popular... 

But still i go on it in cargo version, it is legendary aircraft and i never have it in stash, because all kits are vintage...  

1 hour ago, AlCZ said:

i don´t understand why Zvezda don´t make in future a gunship version out of the box ?

They could do, but in the current incarnation, the tooling doesn’t appear to have all the cut-outs in the side of the fuselage that any of the various different iterations of AC-130 have.

There are ways to get around this (making the modeller cut their own holes, not using holes or tooling up a new port fuselage half being the most obvious), but it suggests that the gunships were not considered a priority when Zvezda designed this tooling.

> Only difference are cannons (and sensors), not ?

It depends which mark and which era...

- Outboard pylons with countermeasures

- Exhaust shrouds

- Changes to sponson shapes

- Observation dome in the rear ramp auxiliary door

- Multiple iterations of sensors

- Missile launch detectors of various types

- Refuelling receptacle

And in more recent years, numerous different lumps and bumps around the fuselage (I assume they are either sensors and / or countermeasures, but I couldn’t say for sure).

Nothing particularly challenging, given the separate sponsons and fuselage tail fairing (the dome in the rear ramp auxiliary door may be the most involved, after the gun hatches in the side of the fuselage).

It would then become a question of sales potential versus investment required: Which is likely to be more popular? Vietnam? 1991 Gulf War? Afghanistan? Iraq post-2003? Current?

Jonathan.

I would like to applaud Zvezda for including both sponson options in this first boxing: both the early and late versions. Some manufacturers have the habit of drip feeding particular aircraft versions with their associated unique parts onto the market. This kit is probably of the most representative version and with enough parts to tweak into a host of other versions. Also the accessories/ conversion after market is having a field day with this one - win-win for everyone. 

There are many plain jane C-130s to be built but after that I'm looking forward to an AM conversion of the EC-130H in the future. 

1024px-EC-130H_41st_EWS_taking_off_Davis

Jay

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Mountain goat said:

EC-130H

Ah, the cheese-grater antennas at the back-end.  I remember them well!  Have fun with all that rigging!  I think a local airman at D-M tried the conversion using the Airfix kit and did an ok job.

• Like 2

From what I can remember from my Herc days, we only had 4 planes with orange crop, 3x tankers, and one flatbed. These were mainly aimed for use down, down south. You could get some great pics of phantoms from the gap were the hose went through the ramp... some good shots of lightnings when at home... not the safest place to be taking pics from... but what a view...

Cheers

Dave

Edited by DaveH
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, DaveH said:

You could get some great pics of phantoms from the gap were the hose went through the ramp... some good shots of lightnings when at home.

I've seen pictures of Phantoms and Harriers taking on fuel from Hercs, but Lightnings, that's something I would love to see!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, 71chally said:

Don't forget the astrodome was a quickly removable and fitted item, replaced when not in use by a solid hatch.

Indeed. Having dug out my copy of "Support Save Supply - Hercules operations in the Gulf War", XV215 is pictured with the observation dome both with the "Fat Slags" nose art, and without it (presumably before it was applied).

> we only had 4 planes with orange crop, 3x tankers, and one flatbed.

I assume the Orange Crop equiped non-tanker was XV206, pictured in the book in wrap-around scheme (where it wore the "Foxy Lady" nose art). Apparently it had the pods while still pre wrap-around:

spacer.png

And while in Desert Pink (but for a Red Flag exercise in 1988, not for the Gulf War):

spacer.png

And after it gained the dark green scheme:

spacer.png

But it lost the pods when it received a defensive aids upgrade:

spacer.png

Before being lost in Afghanistan in May 2006.

While I would like to do an aircraft with Orange Crop pods, I have a C.1K conversion around here somewhere (I think produced by C Scale) which will need them.

Jonathan.

• Like 1