1/72 - Lockheed (A)C-130H & J Hercules by Zvezda - released

Homebee

11 hours ago, Truro Model Builder said:

Perhaps even a local model shop if there is one available. One of the popular topics on BM is the need to keep supporting them after all.

Thats a little unfair and sorry if you didn't mean this as a rebuke. As I said I also have a Zvezda Herc on pre-order from Hannants.  If you have local model shops stocking this kit in Cornwall to support that's great.  Unfortunately there is nothing near where I live or even a single shop anywhere in London(!) where I work.  So its mail order wherever it comes from - so that's more often than not a fiver on top of the RRP for delivery, no saving here unless I shop around for the best deals to offset (e.g ideally discount prices and/or free postage). The (potential) saving has in this case allowed me to purchase 2 copies of the kit rather than one.  So perhaps you'll excuse me on this occasion.

Rich

PS the saving was 12 quid not a fiver.  

Edited by RichG
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Truro Model Builder said:

It would seem so.

Sorry, I meant are there Zvezda Hercules in British model shops at the moment.

I won't pay Hannants prices, my go to UK supplier, and Zvezda stockist, that I mentioned previously didn't even know that this kit was coming out.

I live but a mile away from a very good high street model shop, but they're not Zvezda stockists.

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, 71chally said:

Sorry, I meant are there Zvezda Hercules in British model shops at the moment.

I won't pay Hannants prices, my go to UK supplier, and Zvezda stockist, that I mentioned previously didn't even know that this kit was coming out.

I live but a mile away from a very good high street model shop, but they're not Zvezda stockists.

No, but that is because it has not been released in the UK as yet.

Hannants are charging the UK RRP of £49.99.

Presumably your LMS does not stock Tamiya, Italeri or Dragon, as they are imported by the same company that is the UK distributor for Zvezda. If it does, he can get it supplied. He would also have been made aware of all new releases from all of the distributed brands.

13 hours ago, RichG said:

Thats a little unfair and sorry if you didn't mean this as a rebuke. As I said I also have a Zvezda Herc on pre-order from Hannants.  If you have local model shops stocking this kit in Cornwall to support that's great.  Unfortunately there is nothing near where I live or even a single shop anywhere in London(!) where I work.  So its mail order wherever it comes from - so that's more often than not a fiver on top of the RRP for delivery, no saving here unless I shop around for the best deals to offset (e.g ideally discount prices and/or free postage). The (potential) saving has in this case allowed me to purchase 2 copies of the kit rather than one.  So perhaps you'll excuse me on this occasion.

Rich

PS the saving was 12 quid not a fiver.  

No, I will be relying on mail order as well, but I will obtain one from a UK supplier, and I will look to see who I will want to support. If I was confident that we will be back to model shows next year (and I have to be honest, I am not that confident we will be) then I might wait and get one from a trader at a show.

We used to have a very good model shop in Truro, but perhaps I might be accused of blowing my own trumpet if I said so too much.

On 9/30/2020 at 8:42 PM, Scooby said:

Sadly I was in Edmonton for all six crashes, my dad was serving when 329 crashed. I was in 418 Squadron when the mid-airs occurred, I was working that night. I joined the Reg Force in 84, posted to BAMEO in 87. We lost Boxtop 22 and then 318 (CFB Wainwright) and 321 (Wainwright, Alaska). I was part of the recovery and investigation team for Boxtop 22.

Triple Pig is much loved and the name was more out of affection to her, at least that was my take on it. Still to this day I think everyone is very fond of 333. 333 also had a ramp strike during a LAPES drop, it popped the two actuators out of the fuselage and carried patches in the camo in that location for the longest time. It was said it actually flew faster with the bent airframe.

When we bought the five tankers we had trouble with clogged engine filters because the tank sealant  didn’t properly cure and was shedding. I must have spent at least a year in the tanks scraping them clean, the airframes were grounded for a long time. I still have nightmares. 😀

Bob Solomon name rings a bell but I can’t place a face. For some reason the name Garth Davies sounds very familiar. I was in Cold Lake from 1999-2007 (416/409 SQDN). I remember seeing 319 at Flag too in 2001, a good buddy of mine was the FE on board for Flag.

Too many lives lost unnecessarily, still bugs me.

The tanks were not a place to be if you were claustrophobic! I got my arm jammed in a truss rib once, and I had that sickening feeling for a few seconds, before I calmed down, relaxed and my arm slowly unlocked and slid out. 
On a happier note, when you were up at Maple Flag, did you see the C-5 buzz job? They wrote “Hit  Me” on the top of the horizontal with some sort of tape, pretty funny. Also the Luftwaffe C-160’s were doing some insane assault approaches and landings! The Herk’s from RNZAF and RAAF were pretty nice also, it wasn’t until I got home and had the film developed, that I noticed the RAAF FE sticking out of the hatch, waving at me. I have so many photos to scan and so little time.

I snagged one of the new Zvezda Herk’s on evil bay for $90 CDN. shipping included plus a bonus KV mask set. (coming from Moscow). I’ll wait until better deals come along to grab the second one. I have all the Attack resin wheels, engines, props and flaps (now Brengun). I’m hoping that the flaps will work with the Zvezda kit, as I always extended them when I did a DI, and also have the full colour scheme decals from Canuck Models, which includes the UN placard decals. It also has markings for RCAF (60’s) and the Canadian Armed Forces/Forces Armees Canadiennes. Unfortunately Canuck closed up and sold all the printing press and everything last year, if you can find one, grab it, the best quality full colour CC-130 decals in 1/72. Belcher Bits does a very comprehensive decal set, from the RCAF B models, right up to the J’s, unfortunately it’s only available in 1/48. Hey Mike if you’re looking in, give us a set in 1/72, now that we have a decent C-130 kit....please. :)

Edited by MrB17
Typo

On 10/7/2020 at 11:49 AM, Homebee said:

New 26 Decals - ref. STS7214 - RAF Lockheed C-130K Hercules

Source: https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/STS7214

Brilliant timing! Order placed. :goodjob:

Right, that's the markings sorted and I'll probably go with the RAF Air Support Command variant. I do fancy doing an aircraft under maintenance - I wonder if the Brengun and Black Dog resin bits I got last year for the Italeri kit might fit this Zvezda kit?  :hmmm:I think I'll probably be OK with the flaps and leading edges, not sure about the engines, bit risky...  

Rich

10 hours ago, MrB17 said:

Too many lives lost unnecessarily, still bugs me.

The tanks were not a place to be if you were claustrophobic! I got my arm jammed in a truss rib once, and I had that sickening feeling for a few seconds, before I calmed down, relaxed and my arm slowly unlocked and slid out. 
On a happier note, when you were up at Maple Flag, did you see the C-5 buzz job? They wrote “Hit  Me” on the top of the horizontal with some sort of tape, pretty funny. Also the Luftwaffe C-160’s were doing some insane assault approaches and landings! The Herk’s from RNZAF and RAAF were pretty nice also, it wasn’t until I got home and had the film developed, that I noticed the RAAF FE sticking out of the hatch, waving at me. I have so many photos to scan and so little time.

I snagged one of the new Zvezda Herk’s on evil bay for $90 CDN. shipping included plus a bonus KV mask set. (coming from Moscow). I’ll wait until better deals come along to grab the second one. I have all the Attack resin wheels, engines, props and flaps (now Brengun). I’m hoping that the flaps will work with the Zvezda kit, as I always extended them when I did a DI, and also have the full colour scheme decals from Canuck Models, which includes the UN placard decals. It also has markings for RCAF (60’s) and the Canadian Armed Forces/Forces Armees Canadiennes. Unfortunately Canuck closed up and sold all the printing press and everything last year, if you can find one, grab it, the best quality full colour CC-130 decals in 1/72. Belcher Bits does a very comprehensive decal set, from the RCAF B models, right up to the J’s, unfortunately it’s only available in 1/48. Hey Mike if you’re looking in, give us a set in 1/72, now that we have a decent C-130 kit....please. :)

Regarding those Attack squadron stuff you have the engines will be pretty useless as the shape is still wrong and specially designed to fit the Italeri without the to much fuss...i have  had all the sets available for making a better Herk..even the Flightpath ones..

With a bit of luck you can use the props but in my opinion the Zvezda parts looks da part...

I am selling the Attack Squadron stuff but holding back on selling the flaps as they may be usefull ..

cheers, Jan

• Like 1

23 hours ago, janneman36 said:

Regarding those Attack squadron stuff you have the engines will be pretty useless as the shape is still wrong and specially designed to fit the Italeri without the to much fuss...i have  had all the sets available for making a better Herk..even the Flightpath ones..

With a bit of luck you can use the props but in my opinion the Zvezda parts looks da part...

I am selling the Attack Squadron stuff but holding back on selling the flaps as they may be usefull ..

cheers, Jan

I agree with you Jan, most of the Attack (Brengun) stuff is useless for the Zvezda kit. I noticed when I was shopping on evil bay, that there were a lot of Italeri kits for sale. I am hoping that the flaps will work for the Zvezda kit, and the wheels should also be easily adaptable.
Zvezda looks to have got it right, although I will know better, once I have it in my paws. Doing an E from the Zvezda kit will require filling in the oval access panels on the wing behind number 1 and 4 engines and rescribing the larger rectangular panels used on the E. I am doing an H, though In any case it looks as though I will probably have to scratch build the Canadian tail extension (beaver tail) with the CPI (crash position indicator) in it. Note that the CPI is not labeled as an ELT (emergency locator transmitter), as it was designed to leave the aircraft in the event of a crash, and was also able to be manually deployed prior to contact with the ground, it had little winglets and was designed to glide down. I have no idea if they are still that way on our Herk’s today, but I will be doing mine circa 1979.
The cargo floor will need to be addressed by many modellers wishing to have the ramp down and door up, as there are many different configurations depending on time frame and country. I will have to figure that out for my Canadian version, as ours were different than the kit. And any cargo loaded on pallets will require scratch building the ADS (air delivery system), which I am not looking forward to. I will also do RAF C-130K XV205 circa 1979, but probably close it up, as I have little recollection what it looked like inside. Possibly the cargo floor was painted? I have been inside a few K’s, but that was 40 years ago and I just can’t remember much. 205 was special to me because I helped the FE, “MacGyver” a leaking wing tank drain, using a hand cut rubber gasket, a large washer and a screw, it worked.
I am sure there will be aftermarket parts for the Zvezda kit, although the inside of the cargo compartment will have so many variations, they will have to be specific for a certain country and time period. In any case I am sure most of the Herk buffs will want this kit regardless of the cargo compartment. From the photos of the kit so far, they have replicated the quilted insulation fairly well, but the forward bulkhead is very simplified, with the stanchions for the central seating, faintly molded in to it. There are a lot of very busy areas, especially the interior of the empennage, and this also varies depending upon version, time period etc. Canadian Herk’s had the red nylon webbing seats, and many other countries as well, this might be accomplished best with the fabric being used by some aftermarket companies now. I look forward to fondling the plastic soon.

• Like 2

On 9/4/2020 at 3:56 AM, 26Decals said:

Indeed I am getting it  reprinted for the Zvezda kit :)

All the ebst

Ray

Good news! BTW you have it listed as CC-130E, the 5 early CC-130H’s can also be made with this sheet. Also there were two sizes of upper wing roundels used, the original 84” ones that were dangerous as hell in the winter, and later on, the 72” ones that were moved aft and inboard so you could stay safe on the anti slip walkway. Excellent decal sheet for the colourful CC-130’s.

• Like 1

On 10/11/2020 at 9:39 AM, HL-10 said:

These are being rereleased.

They will go nicely with the new kit :)

spacer.png

Got these from the source, enroute as I write. My second Zvezda C-130, coming from the local hobby shop. I am afraid XV205 will be closed up, unless someone does a proper K cargo compartment.

Thanks Ray, beautiful work. :)

Noticed a message on Hannants web site this morning: 

"Due this week: Zvezda ZVE 7321 Lockheed C-130 H Hercules" :thumbsup:

Thought enquiring minds might wanna know...

Rich

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, janneman36 said:

If I dont get it wrong, we will get the extended fusalage verion sooner or later. There is cca. 4 pieces thet needs to be cut shorter in this kit. Great!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Borisz said:

If I dont get it wrong, we will get the extended fusalage verion sooner or later. There is cca. 4 pieces thet needs to be cut shorter in this kit. Great!

Yes, I think you are right... well spotted. 

Looks like we're getting quite close now so could anyone point me in the right direction details of the cargo floor for the RAF version please as I understand its different from whats provided in the kit. I can't really see a great deal of difference myself  but maybe I'm looking at the wrong thing? Much appreciated.

Edit.. Just found one of an RAF C-130J C4, would this be the same as the early 'K's?

Edited by keithjs
Added text.

2 hours ago, keithjs said:

Looks like we're getting quite close now so could anyone point me in the right direction details of the cargo floor for the RAF version please as I understand its different from whats provided in the kit. I can't really see a great deal of difference myself  but maybe I'm looking at the wrong thing? Much appreciated.

Edit.. Just found one of an RAF C-130J C4, would this be the same as the early 'K's?

No, the RAF C-130J/J-30s retained the standard cargo floor.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, keithjs said:

Thank you for that. I'll just keep looking then.

There was a detailed and very informed discussion on this question a few pages back in this thread (page 14)  - might be worth reviewing to see what the differences were or what to look for on the cargo floor (depending on the particular fit in use i.e. a full flat floor configuration, roller conveyor system, "mooring points/loops" fitted etc).

Hope this helps... 

Rich

Edited by RichG
  • Like 1