1/72 - Lockheed (A)C-130H & J Hercules by Zvezda - released

Homebee

On 9/24/2020 at 6:20 AM, MrB17 said:

I somehow missed this, but very exciting news indeed! I was a rigger (airframe tech) on CC-130’s for three years at CFB Namao (Edmonton Alberta). I was going to attempt fixing up the old Airfix kit with all the goodies from Arma, but this changes everything! It’s really hard to see if they got it right from the photos, but seeing the prominent chine on the fuselage, is a good indication, hard to tell, but the horizontal stabilizer is an inverted airfoil with the top being much flatter than the underside. I built the Airfix kit in the early 70’s as a young teen, and did it just like the box art, in gloss desert scheme, Land Rover and Bloodhound included. Later on I built the Italeri 1/72 kit on commission as a CC-130H, in the Red, White and Silver colours, using the Trident decals. I really don’t like that kit, it has way too many shape and outline issues, especially the fuselage cross section. The real thing has a larger radius bottom, making it look flatter. The Italeri kits in both scales really botched it there. It was a tight squeeze going under the belly on a creeper, and when you’re intimate with the Herk airframe, this flatter belly with the prominent chines is very obvious. The Zvesda kit really looks promising! The CC-130E and H however, have a different fuselage protrusion at the tail, than the kit. Ours was longer and trapezoidal (nicknamed beaver tail) with an international orange CPI (crash position indicator) recessed into the top, visible in this great photo of the last E model 328. The shorter rounded one was referred to as the platypus. Lots of nicknames for parts of a Herk, Grasshopper legs, pork chops, elephant ears (missing from the Airfix ramp, among a few other quirks), Darth Vader helmet, (the gloss black radome sitting on a pallet really looks it) I can’t remember them all, that was 40 years ago! 329-333 were the H models back in the late 70’s. The only big difference from a rigger perspective, was the brakes. The E had single disks (bloody heavy), and the H had multi stator brakes, cooler and much less likely to fade. Also, the dry bay access panels on the wing behind 1 and 4 were rectangular on the E, and the same oval as 2 and 3 on the H. The dry bays provided access to the wet wing fuel components via the ribs, also a great place to hide contraband from customs after a round the world flight ;) an extra detailed A check after return, often revealed goodies, forgotten by the stasher (once found a lime green knitted cock warmer under the FE’s seat cushion!). Brengun has taken over the Arma resin parts, and I think they have both. One thing missing on kits, is the cobalt blue lens formation lights on the wing, they were flush mounted, so replicating them is easy, if you can find a drawing or clear photo. The H models had glossier silver, and some repainted E’s. A lot were almost flat silver with weathering. The black stripe and demarcation line separating the white and silver, on the empennage aft of the insignia, varied from plane to plane. The larger wing roundels were downsized in 79-80, and moved aft, so you wouldn’t slip off the wing during daily inspections (arctic mukluks on wet glossy paint). The three lighter bands on the walkway were not on all Herks, and finding photos of the top like this are rare. The grey anti slip had a bit of a sparkle and was fairly thick but smooth. The square under the serial is where the UN plaque slides into on international flights, secured by a wingnut dzus, they were stowed in the cargo area in a canvas bag. The prominent antenna wires running up to the fin were about 3/8” diameter, smooth dark brown coating and at my neck level when walking along the wing (don’t ask). The cargo floor featured many recessed tie down rings for securing loads and also the ADS (Air Delivery System) was bolted to these. Also many anti slip patches on the floor, a mask for those would be a welcome addition! There’s a lot of stuff in the cargo area and the kit gives you the basics, if you super detail it, lighting would really help, either white or red. Otherwise you can put anything from Christmas trees to beer to private vehicles etc. etc. etc. to make it interesting if you don’t want to plumb it out. Incidentally, 333 was flown at the Medicine Hat Airshow, and special guest, Sir Douglas Bader went up in her and experienced a JATO (now correctly RATO) takeoff, to which he exclaimed, “bloody marvellous!” What a great man! A lot of NATO Herks came through Namao, RAF, RNAF, SAF, USAF, AFRES (a Pope nose one!) and even Chilean AF. My favourite visitors were the RAF in the very crisp, green and grey over light grey. So I guess I need two kits now! Just the best news since sliced bread! Now I only need approval from the chief of staff hahaha. Zvesda doing a Herk! Stranger things have happened, but this is very good indeed. Lower photo shows a very new CC-130H 329, the first of five, the crew entry door has yet to be painted that greyish bluish greenish colour (don’t have the code) and the triangular openings were covered with fabric patches before painting. Also note the small port from the ATM (Air Turbine Motor) above the lightning bolt just under the wing root, and the GTC (Gas Turbine Compressor) doors in the open position on the forward part of the sponson. The GTC provided bleed air to the ATM like a two part APU.

Beautiful images you posted, I’ve never seen those ones.

What years were you in BAMEO? I was there from 1987-1995. I was an electrician, loved working the Herc.

We certainly had better ways of hiding contraband than the dry bays. We brought empty aircraft parts containers with unused seals. Customs only had us open the containers with broken seals. Of course we’d see a seal on the unused parts containers after we stuffed them full. Those were the days.

I could fit in the dry bays but had trouble fitting my shoulders threw, no fun crawling on the ribs.

As for the HF antennas, twice I saw the same CRS tech try to connect replacement wires at the top of the tail fin during a PSI inspection, both times he was a few feet short. I never understood why he always cut it in the shop and started from the front to the fin. A third time he cut what appeared to be the right length, only for it to break on first taxi during flex.

I wonder if we worked together, perhaps on the same crew as I recall an evening shift when a Roman nosed US Herc came through, I couldn’t believe it was still flying. I also kept my camera at work and documented all the visitors. Were you there when the Auzzie’s came through with pallets of Fosters to the roof? That was a fun airlift rodeo.

Cool story on the beloved Triple Pig and Bader, I didn’t  know that story. Triple Pig better get preserved in a museum.

Edited by Scooby
  • Like 1

On 9/26/2020 at 4:14 PM, Scooby said:

Beautiful images you posted, I’ve never seen those ones.

What years were you in BAMEO? I was there from 1987-1995. I was an electrician, loved working the Herc.

We certainly had better ways of hiding contraband than the dry bays. We brought empty aircraft parts containers with unused seals. Customs only had us open the containers with broken seals. Of course we’d see a seal on the unused parts containers after we stuffed them full. Those were the days.

I could fit in the dry bays but had trouble fitting my shoulders threw, no fun crawling on the ribs.

As for the HF antennas, twice I saw the same CRS tech try to connect replacement wires at the top of the tail fin during a PSI inspection, both times he was a few feet short. I never understood why he always cut it in the shop and started from the front to the fin. A third time he cut what appeared to be the right length, only for it to break on first taxi during flex.

I wonder if we worked together, perhaps on the same crew as I recall an evening shift when a Roman nosed US Herc came through, I couldn’t believe it was still flying. I also kept my camera at work and documented all the visitors. Were you there when the Auzzie’s came through with pallets of Fosters to the roof? That was a fun airlift rodeo.

Cool Tory on the beloved Triple Pig and Bader, I didn’t  know that story. Triple Pig better get preserved in a museum.

Hi Scooby, I was there from 78-80, missed the crashes, even then, they still haunt me. I had to go into the wing once through the #3 dry bay and through the rib into the fuel soaked wet wing to replace a fuel pump, wearing a “bunny suit” with sparkless lamp, no way in hell I would fit now! When I was on FB, I heard some of the other techs refer to 333 as “Triple Pig”, not the case in my time. 333 was very new, so obviously it developed a curse later on. 316 was the hangar queen, especially after it struck the ground during a LAPES practice, tearing off a good chunk of the ramp and twisting the empennage a few degrees to starboard. I was on the ramp (tarmac) when she taxied in, and it looked like a poorly aligned model from head on. By the time it shut down on #2, (shortest route to ops for the aircrew) every white coverall from 5 hangar was crowded around. It went to NWI for major structural repairs. Upon its return, I was in snags and was on the crew investigating a major pressurization issue. When we ground pressurized it, the numbers were well below acceptable. It was difficult to tell where it was leaking air. I think Garth Davies came up with the idea of putting an orange smoke generator inside. Well, orange smoke pored out of the sides of the ramp and door as well as hundreds of rivets! Even after several cans of PRC and silicone patches, 316 never fully pressurized, but was above the minimum acceptable. 319 was a good bird, and I saw her in Cold Lake during Maple Flag 2001, looking well worn and very different from the old colours. One of my good buddies in Namao was an IE tech, Bob Soloman. Another IE buddy from Cold Lake was Wayne Monson. Good times indeed!

Edited by MrB17
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, MrB17 said:

Hi Scooby, I was there from 78-80, missed the crashes, even then, they still haunt me. I had to go into the wing once through the #3 dry bay and through the rib into the fuel soaked wet wing to replace a fuel pump, wearing a “bunny suit” with sparkless lamp, no way in hell I would fit now! When I was on FB, I heard some of the other techs refer to 333 as “Triple Pig”, not the case in my time. 333 was very new, so obviously it developed a curse later on. 316 was the hangar queen, especially after it struck the ground during a LAPES practice, tearing off a good chunk of the ramp and twisting the empennage a few degrees to starboard. I was on the ramp (tarmac) when she taxied in, and it looked like a poorly aligned model from head on. By the time it shut down on #2, (shortest route to ops for the aircrew) every white coverall from 5 hangar was crowded around. It went to NWI for major structural repairs. Upon its return, I was in snags and was on the crew investigating a major pressurization issue. When we ground pressurized it, the numbers were well below acceptable. It was difficult to tell where it was leaking air. I think Garth Davies came up with the idea of putting an orange smoke generator inside. Well, orange smoke pored out of the sides of the ramp and door as well as hundreds of rivets! Even after several cans of PRC and silicone patches, 316 never fully pressurized, but was above the minimum acceptable. 319 was a good bird, and I saw her in Cold Lake during Maple Flag 2001, looking well worn and very different from the old colours. One of my good buddies in Namao was an IE tech, Bob Soloman. Another IE buddy from Cold Lake was Wayne Monson. Good times indeed!

Sadly I was in Edmonton for all six crashes, my dad was serving when 329 crashed. I was in 418 Squadron when the mid-airs occurred, I was working that night. I joined the Reg Force in 84, posted to BAMEO in 87. We lost Boxtop 22 and then 318 (CFB Wainwright) and 321 (Wainwright, Alaska). I was part of the recovery and investigation team for Boxtop 22.

Triple Pig is much loved and the name was more out of affection to her, at least that was my take on it. Still to this day I think everyone is very fond of 333. 333 also had a ramp strike during a LAPES drop, it popped the two actuators out of the fuselage and carried patches in the camo in that location for the longest time. It was said it actually flew faster with the bent airframe.

When we bought the five tankers we had trouble with clogged engine filters because the tank sealant  didn’t properly cure and was shedding. I must have spent at least a year in the tanks scraping them clean, the airframes were grounded for a long time. I still have nightmares. 😀

Bob Solomon name rings a bell but I can’t place a face. For some reason the name Garth Davies sounds very familiar. I was in Cold Lake from 1999-2007 (416/409 SQDN). I remember seeing 319 at Flag too in 2001, a good buddy of mine was the FE on board for Flag.

Edited by Scooby
  • Thanks 2

I wonder when it will hit the stores... have mine on order from Lucky Models in Hong Kong. Including shipping, it worked out at around 39quid ($50 US), which I thought was a pretty good price (subject, of course, to Her Majesty's Revenue & Customs wanting a slice of the action... fingers crossed). 

Rich

Edited by RichG
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, RichG said:

I wonder when it will hit the stores... have mine on order from Lucky Models in Hong Kong. Including shipping, it worked out at around 39quid ($50 US), which I thought was a pretty good price (subject, of course, to Her Majesty's Revenue & Customs wanting a slice of the action... fingers crossed). 

Rich

Hannants pre-order is 37 pounds. I have two on back order.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Scooby said:

Hannants pre-order is 37 pounds. I have two on back order.

Interesting, I also have on pre-order with Hannants, also with a 10% discount; but the UK price is £44.99 (discounted from RRP £49.99) + postage (£4:30) which makes it £49:29... So not such a good deal. I can only assume you aren't resident in the UK/Europe and therefore the price you quote excludes VAT (sales tax).  Lucky Models price was 31.65 pounds (+ 8.37 pounds shipping).

Of course I am still liable for VAT...  :whistle:

Rich    

Edited by RichG

3 hours ago, RichG said:

Interesting, I also have on pre-order with Hannants, also with a 10% discount; but the UK price is £44.99 (discounted from RRP £49.99) + postage (£4:30) which makes it £49:29... So not such a good deal. I can only assume you aren't resident in the UK/Europe and therefore the price you quote excludes VAT (sales tax).  Lucky Models price was 31.65 pounds (+ 8.37 pounds shipping).

Of course I am still liable for VAT...  :whistle:

Rich    

Correct, I’m in Canada, this is the cheapest option for me to ship. I forgot about your VAT.

Won’t you get dinged a similar amount if you import?

5 hours ago, Scooby said:

Won’t you get dinged a similar amount if you import?

You take a chance if it comes from the States, but I have never been charged for stuff coming from 'Eastern' Europe, or China and Japan come to that.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, 71chally said:

You take a chance if it comes from the States, but I have never been charged for stuff coming from 'Eastern' Europe, or China and Japan come to that.

Maybe I'll be Lucky on this occasion... :whistle:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 71chally said:

For the most part, ordering from the States to Canada is no longer feasible. Often the shipping is more than the product, Spruebrothers is able to get lower economy shipping as do a few other smaller vendors.

• Like 2

Released - ref. AM7290 - AC-130H Spectre Conversion (must be purchased in package with C-130H kit) Arma Models, 1/72

https://vk.com/armatamodels?w=wall-114983756_195165

https://arma-models.ru/catalog/bombardirovshchiki/am7290_konversiya_ac_130_spectre/

019c2975a80a151099666b6e431c1e96.webp

https://arma-models.ru/catalog/predzakaz/7321_amerikanskiy_voenno_transportnyy_samolet_c_130_gerkules/

cfe1ec196160ff8c1ac017f44c03df40.webp

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 3

On 10/5/2020 at 2:42 AM, Homebee said:

Trying to order, it appears that it won’t take any addresses outside of Russia, so it doesn’t look like they ship internationally.

Edited by Willi3d
  • Sad 1

You know, it seems to me that instead of trying to knock a fiver off the price by ordering it from overseas and then maybe getting hit with customs charges, it might be as well to buy one from a supplier in the UK. Perhaps even a local model shop if there is one available. One of the popular topics on BM is the need to keep supporting them after all.

• Like 10

10 hours ago, Willi3d said:

Trying to order, it appears that it won’t take any addresses outside of Russia, so it doesn’t look like they ship internationally.

I couldn't get anywhere with it either .

5 hours ago, Truro Model Builder said:

You know, it seems to me that instead of trying to knock a fiver off the price by ordering it from overseas and then maybe getting hit with customs charges, it might be as well to buy one from a supplier in the UK. Perhaps even a local model shop if there is one available.

..are there any at the moment?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, 71chally said:

..are there any at the moment?

Well the Aviationmegastore in Amsterdam is expecting the Hercules around  20 October so they will be pouring into all of Europe around this date...

And I have seen one seller on the bay that is selling them like hot buns at the moment....

cheers, Jan

• Like 1