1/72 - Lockheed (A)C-130H & J Hercules by Zvezda - released

Homebee

Engine nacels look good .

• Like 1

As long it's accurate, I'm sure the detail will be fine enough.

It does look like they've captured the fuselage cross section, with the flattened underside and distinctive lower side line.

A first on a kit?

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mungo1974 said:

Hope they put alittle more effort into the surface detail on this one unlike the recent 1/48 Hind

If they don't, then so be it.... when it comes out it'll be light years over any current C-130 in 1/72nd, something I honestly given up on seeing. 

• Like 9

15 hours ago, 71chally said:

As long it's accurate, I'm sure the detail will be fine enough.

It does look like they've captured the fuselage cross section, with the flattened underside and distinctive lower side line.

A first on a kit?

Didn't the Airfix kit feature a flat underside? I am using Airfix parts to stretch an Italeri fuselage and the difference there is remarkable.

Jay

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mountain goat said:

Didn't the Airfix kit feature a flat underside? I am using Airfix parts to stretch an Italeri fuselage and the difference there is remarkable.

Jay

55 minutes ago, 71chally said:

I didn't think it did but It may have done, memory fades!

It certainly did, it had the best fuselage cross section of all the C-130 kits released to date

• Like 3

The shapes are great, I know who is helping with the research and it can’t go wrong.

This is my holy grail, at least half a dozen for me, glad they are starting with the H.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Britman said:

An Airfix reissue would not go amiss.

Keith

Do the moulds still exist after their 're-work' to an AC-130?

The last issue was an Italeri re-box..

regards

2 hours ago, woody37 said:

Can this be back dated to an earlier RAF Herc? I’m not too knowledgable on the variants, the main bits look like it can but warts popped up all over the place as it evolved

The main difference between the H pictured and the RAF K is that the K has a refuel probe and the main undercarriage sponsons are different. Also the K doesnt have the air con duct on the fwd left hand side. 

The other differences will be the various aerials as well as the defensive aids. But that depends on the era RAF K you want.

Plus the stretch versions (C3) have an extra 100 inches at the front and 80 inches at the rear

• Like 1

A very wise decision, Zvezda! If you get it right you'll be on to a winner! :)

Martin

On 22/05/2020 at 22:46, milli21 said:

K is that the K has a refuel probe

That depends on the era you are building!

On 22/05/2020 at 15:52, Scooby said:

This is my holy grail, at least half a dozen for me, glad they are starting with the H.

It certainly is if you a Herc builder. There are so many wonderful schemes to choose from. Forget about the AC-130 and K-model mentions and see the plethora of straight H-model beauties that can be brought to the bench! :)

Martin

Well I like what I see, even in the cads you can see that the fuselage crossections  look correct..

The section above the middle cockpit windows have their correct shape which I never have seen on a C130 kit!

So I can kiss my Airfix and Italeri kits goodbye..

cheers, Jan

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Radleigh said:

Genuine question, Why? It's a 49 year old kit.. 

Because it can be made into something quite acceptable despite its age. I could possibly be cheaper as well, unless of course Airfix have other ideas..... Zvezda will probably make a good job of it anyway.

Keith

• Like 2

I'm hoping they do the early stretch C-130 as well. Certainly wouldn't turn down a C-130J-30 though.

21 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

How different is the K sponson to the H? Is it a really big difference, or is it only minor surgery?

Trevor

The sponsons in the CADs are specific for very late H-model onwards (from FY74 I believe?). They extend forward slightly more and extend over the vertical  'warning propeller' line, whereas the earlier versions don't. Also easily recognisable is the small intake at the front end of the starboard sponson. All earlier basic versions have shorter sponsons.

Sponsons of the later H (as in the CAD):

800px-HAF_C-130H_1.jpg

Sponsons, earlier versions:

Lockheed_CC-130E_Hercules_(C-130E-L-382)

C-130K sponsons are the similar to the ones in the lower image.

Modifying late era sponsons to earlier ones requires some surgery, filler and elbow grease - but one can live in hope Zvezda will include both options from the start - if not, aftermarket will probably help out though.

Jay

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2