1/72 - Lockheed (A)C-130H & J Hercules by Zvezda - released

Homebee

On 23/05/2020 at 22:51, Mountain goat said:

The sponsons in the CADs are specific for very late H-model onwards (from FY74 I believe?). They extend forward slightly more and extend over the vertical  'warning propeller' line, whereas the earlier versions don't. Also easily recognisable is the small intake at the front end of the starboard sponson. All earlier basic versions have shorter sponsons.

Sponsons of the later H (as in the CAD):

Sponsons, earlier versions:

C-130K sponsons are the similar to the ones in the lower image.

Modifying late era sponsons to earlier ones requires some surgery, filler and elbow grease - but one can live in hope Zvezda will include both options from the start - if not, aftermarket will probably help out though.

Jay

I never read too much into the CAD images but they show a 'break line' towards the forward end of the sponson so maybe they are going to tool the kit with this as a separate item, in order to enable them to box the different (early and late) variants. If not, as you say some good ol' modelling skills should take care of it for those wanting to the an RAF C-130K. I will eagerly await this kit, having spent countless hours on the RAF Fat Albert fleet and others.  

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Mountain goat said:

The sponsons in the CADs are specific for very late H-model onwards (from FY74 I believe?). They extend forward slightly more and extend over the vertical  'warning propeller' line, whereas the earlier versions don't. Also easily recognisable is the small intake at the front end of the starboard sponson. All earlier basic versions have shorter sponsons.

Actually the CAD posted on Facebook shows both types of sponson. This is the earlier: 99156895_2374677425968381_82380049717657

Edited by KoenL
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

The Zvezda CAD renderings show two different configurations. Hopefully because the kit will cover these two configurations (and the iterations in between) – given the C-130H went through several configurations over its production life.

The early configuration shown in the renderings has the NACA air conditioning intake on the starboard side of the cockpit, three portholes at the same height on the starboard side of the front fuselage, a short starboard sponson with a NACA intake on the side of it, and Infra Red countermeasures on the trailing edge of the wing tank pylon.

The later configuration has the air conditioning NACA intake by the cockpit replaced with a heat exchanger standing proud of the fuselage surface. The side hatch has been changed from the earlier type, where the hatch is at the porthole above the front of the sponson, to a larger hatch at the position of the middle porthole on the forward fuselage. This modification deleted the rear porthole, and pushed the centre porthole (inside the hatch) further up the fuselage relative to the front porthole. The starboard sponson is elongated, and the NACA intake has been replaced by the intake in the leading edge. And the rear fuselage has a Direct Infra Red Counter Measures turret mounting (not sure on the shape of that, but I expect that will improve as they work on the surface detail).

It appears that the dark lines on the renderings show break points in the parts of the model.  So the fuselage halves will have holes in them, to allow a choice of alternative parts. On starboard side behind the cockpit, a choice of NACA intake (as shown on the photo of the Canadian aircraft) or heat exchanger (as shown on the Greek aircraft pictured above). And further back, a choice of the three porthole or the two porthole with large side hatch options.

Jonathan.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/22/2020 at 9:53 AM, janneman36 said:

Well I like what I see, even in the cads you can see that the fuselage crossections  look correct..

The section above the middle cockpit windows have their correct shape which I never have seen on a C130 kit!

So I can kiss my Airfix and Italeri kits goodbye..

cheers, Jan

Trust me, one of their technical experts has a good eye. And they are apparently listening to him.

• Like 1

On 5/23/2020 at 7:26 AM, Tiger331 said:

I never read too much into the CAD images but they show a 'break line' towards the forward end of the sponson so maybe they are going to tool the kit with this as a separate item, in order to enable them to box the different (early and late) variants. If not, as you say some good ol' modelling skills should take care of it for those wanting to the an RAF C-130K. I will eagerly await this kit, having spent countless hours on the RAF Fat Albert fleet and others.  

Those of us who served on the Herc sure love it. I ended my career on Hornets, the Herc was still eight of my best years.

• Like 2

On 21/05/2020 at 12:16, Mountain goat said:

Didn't the Airfix kit feature a flat underside? I am using Airfix parts to stretch an Italeri fuselage and the difference there is remarkable.

Jay

The Airfix fuselage has the kink (caused by the cargo bay floor) forward of the landing gear sponson.

The Italeri kit lacks the same - among other things. The worst of all is having the outer engines "shorter" than the inners! The props should be in line with each other.

Cheers, Moggy

31 minutes ago, Moggy said:

The Airfix fuselage has the kink (caused by the cargo bay floor) forward of the landing gear sponson.

The Italeri kit lacks the same - among other things. The worst of all is having the outer engines "shorter" than the inners! The props should be in line with each other.

Cheers, Moggy

Thankfully, Brengun's correction set solves the engine problem though admittedly it should have been correct in the kit. Despite Italeri's shape issues (engines, fuselage kink, slightly 'off' windscreen profile, flat profile at the base of the fin and I forget what else) I will definitely keep mine as they will build into nice replicas regardless (this one for example), especially so with the necessary aftermarket bits. Additionally, when finished in dark tones (say the USAF Euro I camouflage or the green/ black one worn by the MC-130E in the 70s), most of the kit's imperfections will be even less conspicuous. (Haven't mentioned the raised panels but that's another subject IMO.)

Anyway, looking at the latest info here, there's no question the Zvezda kit will be highly sought after. 

Jay

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mountain goat said:

Thankfully, Brengun's correction set solves the engine problem though admittedly it should have been correct in the kit. Despite Italeri's shape issues (engines, fuselage kink, slightly 'off' windscreen profile, flat profile at the base of the fin and I forget what else) I will definitely keep mine as they will build into nice replicas regardless (this one for example), especially so with the necessary aftermarket bits. Additionally, when finished in dark tones (say the USAF Euro I camouflage or the green/ black one worn by the MC-130E in the 70s), most of the kit's imperfections will be even less conspicuous. (Haven't mentioned the raised panels but that's another subject IMO.)

Anyway, looking at the latest info here, there's no question the Zvezda kit will be highly sought after. 

Jay

I have three Italeri Hercules and I intend to build them all :)

I've built an Airfix, an Italeri and an ESCI - only survivor being the Airfix

If the Zvezda turns out to be a really good kit I'll buy three: a Swedish Air Force, an Israeli Air Force and an Argentine Air Force of South Atlantic conflict vintage

I'll use the Italeri kits as canvas for the multiple C-130 deca sheetsI have  :)

Cheers, Moggy (patron saint of obsolete kits)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I was thinking about this last night (amazing what comes to mind at 3am when you can't sleep). Zvezda have done a few models that do not have a big domestic market, but I am willing to bet that the C-130 is by far one of their most expensive in terms of R+D. On the assumption that a big box with a picture of an aircraft with 'USAF' plastered across it may not be the biggest seller in Russia it suggests to me that they are actively looking at their overseas market and aiming to capture some of it. The Hercules is an ideal subject to do it with, and I have no doubt that they will recoup their investment, and it leads me to wonder what other subjects may be on their 'to do' list.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Truro Model Builder said:

I was thinking about this last night (amazing what comes to mind at 3am when you can't sleep). Zvezda have done a few models that do not have a big domestic market, but I am willing to bet that the C-130 is by far one of their most expensive in terms of R+D. On the assumption that a big box with a picture of an aircraft with 'USAF' plastered across it may not be the biggest seller in Russia it suggests to me that they are actively looking at their overseas market and aiming to capture some of it. The Hercules is an ideal subject to do it with, and I have no doubt that they will recoup their investment, and it leads me to wonder what other subjects may be on their 'to do' list.

Agreed and perhaps an AN-12 to accompany it? 😉😊

Allan

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Albeback52 said:

Agreed and perhaps an AN-12 to accompany it? 😉😊

Allan

Definetly an AN-12. The Roden is not bad but a new mould from Zvezda would be even better! Another aircraft with multiple opportunities for the modelling.

Martin

• Like 1

On 12/06/2020 at 10:02, Moggy said:

I have three Italeri Hercules and I intend to build them all :)

I've built an Airfix, an Italeri and an ESCI - only survivor being the Airfix

If the Zvezda turns out to be a really good kit I'll buy three: a Swedish Air Force, an Israeli Air Force and an Argentine Air Force of South Atlantic conflict vintage

I'll use the Italeri kits as canvas for the multiple C-130 deca sheetsI have  :)

Cheers, Moggy (patron saint of obsolete kits)

Where would one put them all?!? 

Will be an impressive sight mind... 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Truro Model Builder said:

On the assumption that a big box with a picture of an aircraft with 'USAF' plastered across it may not be the biggest seller in Russia 

I'm not at all sure. At least a hop over to a site like Scalemodels.ru suggests nothing of the sort, instead I see no discernible bias at all against USAF subjects over there, as much as there's no bias against VVS subjects on English language forums. From what I've seen the C-130 is discussed with enthusiasm. I could also offer anecdotal arguments but I'll leave it at that.

Jay

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Truro Model Builder said:

Everybody and his wife will be bringing out decal sheets for this one.

Their dogs too.

This release is a license to print money, I can’t believe Tamiya or Hasegawa didn’t took this, the latter being the most likely to have an interest. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Scooby said:

Their dogs too.

And guppies and duckies and any other kind of critter that's into decal making. Sorry folks, I just couldn't resist.  😃

• Like 2

On 6/26/2020 at 10:09 PM, Tony Oliver said:

Where would one put them all?!? 

Will be an impressive sight mind... 

On the kitchen table of course!

At the moment I have 4 built, 2 others nearing completion (on the left) and and other 2 started. I figure I have another 6? in the stash.

50071013117_6b1c83dbb8_b.jpg

• Like 16

RAY: I love it.  You can't have too many Herks!  I have two still "operational," three scrapped, and five in the stash.  Also following your AN-10 build with interest on the Australian airliner site...

• Like 2

Awesome stuff, I love the two engine Herc.

I did many airlift Rodeo’s with Aussie and Kiwi Herc squadrons. The best year the RAAF brought a Herc full to the roof with Fosters beer (I know you guys don’t actually drink Fosters). Apparently it was donated free of charge by Fosters.

The MPs heard we had this illegal beer in Canada, so it was all shipped to an ice arena and we were supposed to consume it all there. The MPs put guards on the front doors. So we drove our cars around to the back and loaded our trunks up with the illegal beer and drove away.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3