1/48 - Ilyushin IL-2 Shturmovik family by Zvezda - single and two-seater versions released

Homebee

I will present a much more-detailed review of the kit, but it does, to my not uneducated eye (as many on this site know, I wrote a book about the Il-2), appear to be a very accurate kit of the Il-2. It is even more accurate than the 1/48th scale Tamiya Il-2, which is an excellent kit (I realise the Tamiya kit is of an arrow, not the single-seater, but it was the most accurate Il-2 kit, until this kit by Zvezda).

Regards,

Jason

11 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

100 modifications are not surprising - most production aircraft will run to many more than that.  I presume that the reference is to visibly obvious differences?

To be honest, I didn't ask for details. Their number is in the region of 120+, I don't remember exactly the number.

32 minutes ago, Learstang said:

I will present a much more-detailed review of the kit, but it does, to my not uneducated eye (as many on this site know, I wrote a book about the Il-2), appear to be a very accurate kit of the Il-2. It is even more accurate than the 1/48th scale Tamiya Il-2, which is an excellent kit (I realise the Tamiya kit is of an arrow, not the single-seater, but it was the most accurate Il-2 kit, until this kit by Zvezda).

Keep in mind, the general outline of the Zvezda model differs from the restored ILs, as research has shown that the historical sources do not match the factory blueprints that were used to restore the real thing. The documentation that Tamiya received and according to which her development was made, is also based on "incorrect" factory drawings. BTW The Tamiya actually has the wrong pilot's canopy, because it wasn't in the documentation, Tamiya designed this part herself. Here's a funny story.

Edited by DLinevitch
  • Like 1

I don't have the Tamiya 1/48th scale kit easily available (it's in storage, at the moment). I have the 1/72nd scale version out, but the canopy is covered in a thick coating of masking. How is the Tamiya kit's canopy wrong?

Regards,

Jason

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
21 hours ago, ABeck said:

Just stumbled over this on the Begemot fb-site:

spacer.png

Vector goling to release resin conversion field modofication if early Il-2 (when added rear gunner station with SHKAS gun mashine) for Zvezda model

• Like 3

3 hours ago, kotey said:

Vector goling to release resin conversion field modofication if early Il-2 (when added rear gunner station with SHKAS gun mashine) for Zvezda model

Yes great news. I was just looking earlier at the 1/72nd scale Foxbat sheet as they have several single seater mods on there but I haven't found a conversion set for the Academy kit, this will make it easier I'll just go 1/48th 😄

• Like 1

This is probably not much help; maybe you already know about these, but there have been two possibilities in 1/72, neither of which seems to be currently available:

- KP kit KPM0136

- HR Models resin conversion set

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/hr-model-co7222-il-2-conversion--1194111

I haven't seen the HR set, but I believe it was first released by another outfit called VVV Model. The VVV version was quite comprehensive, with detailed instructions, a history of the type, resin parts, decals, and a fairly large photoetch set. I think I'd substitute guns from cast brass by Mini World, though, just for durability -  resin gun barrels are pretty delicate!

For reference:

https://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/il-2/il2-camo/il2kr/il2kr.htm

With a bit of luck, maybe you can stick with 1/72 after all, but I'm afraid it'll be a long shot!

John

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, John Thompson said:

This is probably not much help; maybe you already know about these, but there have been two possibilities in 1/72, neither of which seems to be currently available:

- KP kit KPM0136

- HR Models resin conversion set

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/hr-model-co7222-il-2-conversion--1194111

I haven't seen the HR set, but I believe it was first released by another outfit called VVV Model. The VVV version was quite comprehensive, with detailed instructions, a history of the type, resin parts, decals, and a fairly large photoetch set. I think I'd substitute guns from cast brass by Mini World, though, just for durability -  resin gun barrels are pretty delicate!

For reference:

https://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/il-2/il2-camo/il2kr/il2kr.htm

With a bit of luck, maybe you can stick with 1/72 after all, but I'm afraid it'll be a long shot!

John

Thanks for that I wasn't aware of the HR conversion. I'd like to go with the KP kit if I could get hold of one, the conversion set might be hard to get hold of now as well though. I'll have to look around and see what's out there.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Those panel lines on the outer wings are interesting, and inaccurate. The outer wings, except for the hatches for the guns, were covered in a smooth fabric laid down (glued) over wood, and were without any visible panel lines. However, this is just a 3-D rendering, so I'm not concerned - they did a good enough job on the single-seater that I'm confident they'll catch this. Especially if someone (who could that be?) with a reasonable knowledge of the Il-2 points it out to them. I don't normally buy 1/48th scale, but with the Il-2, it's mandatory for me. I look forward to this kit (without the outer wing panel lines).

Regards,

Jason

• Like 3

• Homebee changed the title to 1/48 - Ilyushin IL-2 Shturmovik family by Zvezda - released - new variant in 2022
  • 2 months later...

On approach box art+ test build - ref. 4826 - Ilyushin IL-2 Sturmovik (mod. 1943)

Sources: 

https://zvezda.org.ru/catalog/sbornye_modeli/aviatsiya/vtoraya_mirovaya_voyna_aviation/sovetskiy_dvukhmestnyy_shturmovik_il_2_obr_1943g/

https://vk.com/zvezdamodels?w=wall-29859496_2678444

i-etvf-JDue-M.jpg

4826-FX-back.jpg

OAy-X-dm-Y3-KM.jpg

O-w-Is8-Goq-YI.jpg

Dck-Lmp-JHB5k.jpg

eofq-Ez-Rrvx-A.jpg

Mej-Oh-YDPHG8.jpg

V.P.

• Like 6

• Homebee changed the title to 1/48 - Ilyushin IL-2 Shturmovik family by Zvezda - single and two seats versions released

That looks very nice! And it looks like they did not put the extraneous panel lines on the outer wings (these panel lines showed up in the CAD pictures), which is good. Well, it looks like I may be starting off the New Year with another Il-2 kit to add to my large collection. This is a rather 'plain-Jane' example, with a patriotic slogan on only one side, but it does have an interesting camouflage pattern, and no doubt the good folks at Begemot Decals, for example, are coming up with some other decal schemes for the kit. Is it just me, or do the wheels look a little thin? Otherwise, it looks like an outstanding kit - the single-seater certainly was.

Regards,

Jason

Edited by Learstang
Additional comments added.
  • Like 2

• Homebee changed the title to 1/48 - Ilyushin IL-2 Shturmovik family by Zvezda - single and two-seater versions released
  • 4 months later...