1/48 - Ilyushin IL-2 Shturmovik family by Zvezda - single and two-seater versions released

Homebee

12 hours ago, Learstang said:

Although I'm not really into 1/48th scale, I'm always happy to see more Il-2s, so yes, it would have been nice for Tamiya to make the straight-winged two-seater, and the single-seater. I'd also love to see them do an Il-2 in 1/32nd scale. As for Zvezda, let's hope they do all three main versions.

Regards,

Jason

Lets hope so and some later single-seaters would be nice as I think Accurate Miniatures only did an early version. 

• Like 1

If I remember correctly, the kit AM made had not only the metal wings, but the metal fuselage. It would be nice to see a wooden-winged example. That goes for Zvezda and Tamiya, also - to my knowledge, the wooden-winged examples were only kitted by Dakoplast in 1/72nd scale. Nice kits, but I'd like to see some new-mould kits of the wooden-winged Il-2s in any scale. Although not the majority of Il-2s, the wooden-winged aircraft represented some 40% of the total produced, and most of the straight-winged two-seaters had the wooden-covered outer wings.

Regards,

Jason

• Like 1

Very nice, a later single-seat with the wooden rear fuselage. Looks like a metal wing though since it's got a panel line for the tips and they said not all the panel lines are done.

1 hour ago, Learstang said:

If I remember correctly, the kit AM made had not only the metal wings, but the metal fuselage. It would be nice to see a wooden-winged example. That goes for Zvezda and Tamiya, also - to my knowledge, the wooden-winged examples were only kitted by Dakoplast in 1/72nd scale. Nice kits, but I'd like to see some new-mould kits of the wooden-winged Il-2s in any scale. Although not the majority of Il-2s, the wooden-winged aircraft represented some 40% of the total produced, and most of the straight-winged two-seaters had the wooden-covered outer wings.

Regards,

Jason

Yes I've got a wooden winged Dakoplast kit in the stash but hopefully Zvezda will give us the single and two seat wooden wing models.

• Like 2

The Zvezda kit is apparently a metal-winged single-seater as some of the pictures show it with the anti-flutter wingtip balances, which were only fitted to the metal-winged single-seaters. At least it has the wooden fuselage (only early single-seaters had the metal rear fuselage). It looks like they have the ejector link chutes done correctly, something that even Tamiya got wrong, although AM did it correctly.

Regards,

Jason

12 minutes ago, Learstang said:

The Zvezda kit is apparently a metal-winged single-seater as some of the pictures show it with the anti-flutter wingtip balances, which were only fitted to the metal-winged single-seaters. At least it has the wooden fuselage (only early single-seaters had the metal rear fuselage). It looks like they have the ejector link chutes done correctly, something that even Tamiya got wrong, although AM did it correctly.

Regards,

Jason

Good point I didn't noticed the balance weights to start with and like I said it's got the tip panel lines which were not there on the wooden wing.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, kotey said:

What do you say if it will be first Zvezda's release in several Il-2 1-48 model series?

Yes because the image in their catalogue is a two-seater so we are at least getting the two version, but hopefully more.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in when the 2 seat version is released. Been waiting on Zvezda doing an IL-2. I like their new kits.

Last year bought their new mould 1/35 T-34 1943 Uralmash, T-34/85  & (Accurate Miniatures rebox) 1/48 Yak-1b. Years before that, their stunning Pe-2 after being wowed by their Yak-3, La-5, La-5FN, Bf 109F-2 and Bf 109F-4, all of which I own. No Zvezda G-6 109 yet.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dragonlanceHR said:

The kit was released cca 4 years ago.

I was referring to the fact I don't have Zvezda's Bf 109G-6 yet. Context. Although I can see that with a separate albeit immediately following sentence within the paragraph, it could have been interpreted ambiguously.  Cheers. P.S. I have a few 1/48 109G variants, G-5, G-6, G-6/Trop, G-14, just not Zvezda's.

• 2 months later...

Well, I suppose they're getting close with this one. As I've mentioned before, 1/48th scale is not my scale, but I'll have to buy one of these out of professional curiosity.

Regards,

Jason

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, kotey said:

Pilot of this Il-2 from boxart - twice hero of Soviet Union Nelson Stepanyan, naval pilot https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nelson_Stepanyan

That would be great if Zvezda also did the presentation machine of his, the elabourately painted straight-winged two-seater.

Regards,

Jason

I wonder if Zvezda released a full range of Il-2 - straight wing, swept wing, full metal, wood/metal... Twin seater w. straight wing released a Eduard only a many years back as L.E. (from Accurate miniatures plastic), Accurate isn´t bad, but have  few errors (naturally - look as Sturmovik), Tamiya is very nice, but when i remember, it is a final production batch aircraft and is very expensive... Zvezda have goog pricing, so i hope in many variants - a NS 37 (BFG under wings :)))), torpedo etc... it is a same case as T-34 in AFV... And have engine and open bomb bays in wing ! (i don´t understand, why Accurate and Tamiya  ignored this detail...i mean bomb bay, not engine). 

Edited by AlCZ
  • Like 1

I agree about the open bomb bays - that should be included as an option for 1/48th scale kits. Having the engine open also is a nice bonus. If Zvezda do the Il-2-37, they'll have to do the straight-winged two-seater, as all the production 37-mm-armed Il-2s were straight-winged. Let's hope they do this version - only 1,200 or so were built (with some in addition also modified in the field), but those huge guns are impressive-looking under the wings.

Regards,

Jason

Edited by Learstang
Clarification.

21 hours ago, AlCZ said:

I wonder if Zvezda released a full range of Il-2 - straight wing, swept wing, full metal, wood/metal... Twin seater w. straight wing released a Eduard only a many years back as L.E. (from Accurate miniatures plastic), Accurate isn´t bad, but have  few errors (naturally - look as Sturmovik), Tamiya is very nice, but when i remember, it is a final production batch aircraft and is very expensive... Zvezda have goog pricing, so i hope in many variants - a NS 37 (BFG under wings :)))), torpedo etc... it is a same case as T-34 in AFV... And have engine and open bomb bays in wing ! (i don´t understand, why Accurate and Tamiya  ignored this detail...i mean bomb bay, not engine). 

What was even more annoying is that Tamiya also didn't do the bomb bays in their kit. Could you imagine the outcry if Tamiya did a 1/48th scale B-17 with only a closed bomb bay? 

• Like 1