Trio of Starfighters in 1/72

reini

I love all of the century series fighters - but If I had to choose only one, it would be Starfighter. I recently built three different models of the Starfighter - not only different versions, but also different model brands. The models are as follow:

Italeri 1/72 F-104C Starfighter (No. 1359) [Based on old Esci F-104 from early '80s]

Revell 1/72 F-104G Starfighter (No. 03904) [Revell new tool 1995]

Hasegawa 1/72 F-104S Starfighter (No. 00447) [Hasegawa new tool 1989]

I can't really say about model accuracy but ALL are good models to build with different strengths & weaknesses - and honestly they are pretty even. For example Revell has the most details (by a small margin) - but the details are also bit soft compared to Hasegawa. Panel lines are crispiest in Italeri and it has the most detailed wings - but it has no details in the wheel wells and generally is the least detailed overall. Hasegawa cockpit can be opened and is the most versatile kit with general good quality feel to it all around. They are all in the same ball park - but if I had to choose one - it would be Hasegawa. 

All painted with Vallejo paints (except silver with Tamiya spray can). Dirtying up using oil paints (panel line wash) & Vallejo weathering effects. Comments & constructive criticism welcomed. Hope you like 'em!

spacer.png

From left to right: Italeri F-104C, Revell F-104G and Hasegawa F-104S.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 55
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Hook said:

Very nice work!

One small point, if I may - what colour of green did you use on the Italian one? It looks a tad on the olive side.

Cheers,

Andre

Vallejo Air 71.092 Medium Olive.

Got any suggestions? Ive been trying to figure out good cold war 'NATO' paints in general - been testing something but you never know how they truly look until they are on a model. Seems each country has their own variations of grey & green which makea this even more tricky.

1 hour ago, reini said:

Vallejo Air 71.092 Medium Olive.

Got any suggestions? 

I tend to use either RAF Dark Green BS641 or FS34079.

Both are a bit darker and less olive-y than Vallejo 71.092 (which I incidentally used last Sunday on a Soviet Mi-24P).

Cheers,

Andre

1 hour ago, Hook said:

I tend to use either RAF Dark Green BS641 or FS34079.

Both are a bit darker and less olive-y than Vallejo 71.092 (which I incidentally used last Sunday on a Soviet Mi-24P).

Cheers,

Andre

Thank you. I have Vallejo US Forest Green - I will give it a try.

Thank you all for comments! :)