1/48 - Mil Mi-24V/VP/P & Mi-35M "Hind-E/F" by Zvezda - released - Mi-24D "Hind-D" by Eduard - and Mi-24V/-35 in 2023

Homebee

This is what I like about Zvezda, their products actually fit and the prices are very reasonable.  I don't really need another Hind for my collection but at this price it is going in the cart.

Cannot see from the pics, but seems there are no rivets on the kit(positive and negative), if true, big disappointment, since their last 48th scale kit Pe-2 has superb surface detail.

If one of our Russian colleagues could shed more light would be much obliged....

46 minutes ago, Harold55 said:

This is what I like about Zvezda, their products actually fit and the prices are very reasonable.  I don't really need another Hind for my collection but at this price it is going in the cart.

;)

you do not need.... but you probably want to build / have a good one!

that at least is the case her with me .... so actually I need one each! (V,  P,  D  and  -35M )...it really is an impressive maschine....

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Thomas V. said:

Cannot see from the pics, but seems there are no rivets on the kit(positive and negative), if true, big disappointment, since their last 48th scale kit Pe-2 has superb surface detail.

If one of our Russian colleagues could shed more light would be much obliged....

No riverts, only paneles lines.

Edited by kotey
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, kotey said:

No riverts, only paneles lines.

For me that's good news! 

Sold my Zvezda Pe-2 because I really disliked all the holes. 

Adding missing ones is much easier than getting rid of them. 

Raised rivets where appropriate would've been nice though. 

But, nonetheless, I think I'm going to be really happy with this kit 🙂

• Like 1

I wonder whether it's a mistake of the person who did this model... The AI-9 bulb is for the Mi-24A and Mi-24D versions. For Mi-24V/VP and P it's smooth. In their 1/72 kits there were two separate parts for those versions. And here this part is green so should be replacement. However this and lack of diffuser rings are another confirmation at least  Mi-24A is coming :D.versionspacer.png.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, kotey said:

No rivets, only panel lines.

Excellent news as far as I'm concerned at least, I absolutely HATE rivet detail on models, raised or recessed.....though I know there are other views!

• Like 1

Personally, no rivets on a Hind in is pretty much a no-go for me in this day and age and especially in this scale, given how the raised rivets are so prominent on the surface of the real thing. I understand they'd likely be over-scale, but still.

On the other hand, at least they didn't make them recessed, but I guess I'm waiting to see what KH comes up with (which hopefully won't be recessed ones like on their recent UH-1 kits).

Edited by Dudikoff
  • Like 1

I asked because on the real helicopter they are highly pronounced as majority are positive, and on the front fuselage there aren't so many,if Hasegawa made AH-64 with almost all rivets almost 20 years ago!!, and properly captured all the small detail, in 2020 ( after providing excellent kits in 48th scale without skimping on detail-La-5/Yak-130/Pe-2), Mi-24 with smooth surfaces in 48th scale big👎

Edited by Thomas V.

21 hours ago, Simon V said:

Obviously it's a very bare bones build to show off the kit, but it does look very toy like.

I think it looks toy-like because there is no weathering.  It is factory fresh and shinny which does give it that look.  A good weathering job I think will bring it to life.

• Like 3

Zvezda´s small scale Hind was "humped and warped" - as  real helicopter. I can´t  wait for 1/48. But i can´t understand why haven´t rivets.... I must hope for GWH rivet decals.... But is gorgeous, we have after forty years complet new HIND Kit.  And in decals is CZAF machine ! :) Niiiice. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, dragonlanceHR said:

Rivets are a case of "damned if you do, damned if you don't".

Can't really blame any manufacturer for omitting them.

True! 

Though, still:

Removeing raised rivets: relatively easy

Adding recessed rivets: very easy

Removing recessed rivets: cumbersome / hard

Adding raised rivets: hard

• Like 1

1. More rivets means more expensive on mold investment and also time consuming.

Then price will have to be increased.

2. Especially in modern CAD mold cutting technics, raised rivets are even more expensive than recessed rivets to be made on molds.

Guess that's the main reasons.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, haneto said:

1. More rivets means more expensive on mold investment and also time consuming.

Then price will have to be increased.

This is true, but it can be said about the various desirable features of modern kits. In addition, the lack of rivets leaves room for improvement for a potential competitor.

True - it's cheaper without rivets but also it's easier to make Hind model in different versions without rivets as there are differences  between V and A/D on which there is no structural reinforcement as on V's tail. The tail in the 1/72 model is for the V version (in both Mi-24V and Mi-24A) and we can assume in 1/48 it will be the same. Converting it to the A / D version is easier but only because there are no rivets. The only problem is that if you do it correctly - almost nobody notice the difference ;P

Mi-24V 729, Mi-24D 459

spacer.png

• Like 4

All true and fair regarding tooling costs increase due to complexity of surfaces, but we are in 2020, price of tooling has dropped radically in the last 15+years.

Even more so if you have in house tooling manufacturing ( as Zvezda does)

As for rivets on Mi-24, they are highly pronounced/large on some parts of the fuselage ( especially armor connections ) and should have been represented in 48th scale.

Have no doubt that we'll have first accurate Hind in mentioned scale but If taking into account Hasegawa's Apache, Airfix Lynx, and Revell's small Sea King, not the way forward, at least in my opinion.

• Like 4